cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aircar - Need alpha testers for new game

aircar
Protege
Hello!

Just uploaded an alpha build of Aircar to the Oculus alpha channel. It's been in development for awhile and It's ready to start testing. Looking for people to test it out. Game-play video here... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-0y31YNK6o&t=6s ;

Update Edit 3: Hey again! I've uploaded a new build of Aircar to the store. Thanks to all the testers who played the last test. I have fixed many of the bugs found and have added a few more features, including support for Oculus touch controllers. If any previous or new tester would like to try the new build let me know! Thanks.

New survey here https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/XB5MJD5

Update Edit 2: Thanks again to everyone who has downloaded and tested Aircar. 36 invites have been sent out so far. 31 have been downloaded and installed. To those that have had trouble downloading - check your spam folder and also make sure your invite was not buried in-between your forum activity emails. I have received 15 survey responses so far. Trying to get to 30 survey responses so please fill out the survey if you played! Survey below.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/XB5MJD5

The survey responses help me gauge Aircar's technical quality level. I have also received many great suggestions and bugs to be fixed through the survey - some of which I have worked on fixing each night this week of alpha testing. There are plenty more fixes/polish tasks planned for next week.

I have received questions about where the game is going and what features are planned for the future. It has taken me one year (started January 2016) to get the game from scratch to where it is right now. The initial goal was to create an immersive futuristic city flying simulator and I feel the game has now achieved that basic goal. I work a full time day job and also have a family. Aircar is my hobby side project. Giant Form Entertainment, my game company, is more or less just me. I've had a concept artist create designs for more Aircars and an Engineer friend give me technical advice. They both also work full time and can only provide limited support to Aircar.

One option is to hold the game for another 12 months and implement all the great ideas people have asked for like combat, racing, multiplayer, story and taxi missions. On top of those I would love to add additional full city levels, underground city cavern levels, new aircars with an upgrade/purchase system and customization. I also want to create a fully 3D AI driven traffic system with 10x the density of the current build (no more 2D ships at low altitude) but fully 3D ships everywhere that react to you. I also want a true physics model for the flying mechanics and a dynamic weather system.

These are all things I plan to do whether Aircar is released in it's current state or not. My plan right now is to release Aircar in it's current state as a proof of concept demo. Price (if any) and the release date are up in the air until I get further into the submission process. I also need to start testing on the Vive and Steam VR which will be a separate alpha test build for Steam.

Thanks again to everyone who has tested and provided feedback. HOTAS support and control remapping are my two top features to add if the game hits the store. That work has already started and will hopefully be present in an Beta bulid in a few weeks.

175 REPLIES 175

Roaster
Rising Star
I love the experience and want to thank you for the effort it must have taken.
I have trouble reading the attitude indicator and would prefer an artificial horizon such as iRL.
The existing gimbal becomes misaligned somehow and the ship is not centered in the compass ring making it harder to read.  Alternately maybe have an altitude change indicator bargraph?
Refueling station? More signs like Tokyo at night, at least in one area.
mdtv72k6cpez.jpg 
Thanks again.

i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

vannagirl
Consultant

Roaster said:

I love the experience and want to thank you for the effort it must have taken.
I have trouble reading the attitude indicator and would prefer an artificial horizon such as iRL.
The existing gimbal becomes misaligned somehow and the ship is not centered in the compass ring making it harder to read.  Alternately maybe have an altitude change indicator bargraph?
Refueling station? More signs like Tokyo at night, at least in one area.
mdtv72k6cpez.jpg 
Thanks again.

i mentioned this same thing in the survey, this is exactly how i feel with the signs

great point and idea of refuelling. The op has a great opportunity here for something so different in VR
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

Alec_Turner
Protege
As I mentioned in a pm, the sound doesn't work if you're using external headphones so you might want to look into that. However ... having finally got my replacement Rift headphones fitted (my old ones broke) I have to say this is absolutely wonderful and is up there with Dreamdeck and Showdown as one of THE best quick VR tech demos that I'll be using to impress friends and relatives with. Now you need to make it into a full blown game. Please ... PLEEEEEEZE! 🙂
<<<<< Elite: Dangerous >>>>>

Master | Entrepreneur | Pioneer | Buckyballer | Fuel Rat

Can't believe i've only just found this.  Fantastic little app, just had a great 30 minutes in it.  Please develop it some more (don't overdo it, the best part is the graphics, the feel and the flying).

OK, the issue i had was the steering column drifted away and into the dashboard and so did some of the other dials.

Keep up the great work.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Let us land and hunt down replicants please. It does not matter if it takes you a few more years development time!

On a  more serious note. G-Police Redux.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Let us land and hunt down replicants please. It does not matter if it takes you a few more years development time!

On a  more serious note. G-Police Redux.

yeah Gpolice was what i was instantly reminded of when i played it (what a fab game g police was too (possible rose tinted specs however).

my 2nd though was, this is exactly how i would imagine cities should be in atmospheric worlds in elite dangerous.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Genericat
Expert Protege
Is there a possibility of an expanded version of this? Would pay! Kickstarter, perhaps?

Genericat
Expert Protege

Superframe
Protege
Your game looks great. You stated a bunch of potential goals - My instinct is to find one game mechanic, not several - maybe expand, but finding the fun is key, creating challenges that increase in difficulty... It sounds like you are on it, but some of the most memorable games have one innovative and memorable challenge that increases in difficulty. That is what we have been doing, Iterating on feedback, not just testing online, but going to the arcade, get people inside of it and gathering reactions. It has been very enlightening. Great work so far though!
Greg Bowen - Founder

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
The OP posted this over a year ago now and I've heard nothing more about it..