cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CETACEANS (Whales with guns!)

Emanu
Honored Guest
So, based on my notes from using the Rift, I started a game project and a developer blog about it. A bit of repeat from my "oculus notes" post, but also with some cool whales, and a picture of me! Enjoy and share your ideas and feedback 🙂

http://cetagame.blogspot.se/

22 REPLIES 22

geekmaster
Protege
Great concept! I strongly agree with the recommendations at your blog. Especially the "trippy" part. Who needs drugs when you have a Rift?
:mrgreen:

I plan to incorporate some ideas and visual styles from here in my Rift apps:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=16342

Some of those visuals may work great in your game.

But I have a serious question about your game: Are the whales going to battle sharks with lasers?

:lol:

Sharks with lasers vs. whales with bazookas! Yeah! 😉

Fluke
Heroic Explorer
I'll have to bring up the most genuine concern from your blog, and one that I feel Oculus needs to urgently address:

"-Its impossible to drink tea while in the rift."

As a Yorkshireman, I cannot emphasize the importance of fixing this major design oversight.
Co-host of Recentered - A VR Podcast, available on all normal podcast streaming services.

Emanu
Honored Guest
Sharks with lasers would clearly be OP opponents. Seabass however...

and yes. the tea issue is a great oversight.

ScsiOverdrive
Explorer
Haha, this looks great! 🙂

It really reminds me of a similar idea some friends of mine worked on years ago, dinosaurs with guns: http://www.intuitiongames.com/images/Dinowaurs_allweapons_Row.png

Anyway, you mentioned considering a non combat game vs just adding guns to whales in your blog. I think this neatly summarizes one of game designs toughest challenges. It is so easy to make a game about combat, and so tricky to make a game about almost anything else! You can find exceptions to this (racing games), but my point is more general. 🙂

I would encourage you to explore non combat routes for your whales, whether it be no combat at all, or some sort of hybrid. Though I fully admit there is something strangely charming about seeing a whale with guns strapped to its back. 🙂

drach
Honored Guest
"Fluke" wrote:
I'll have to bring up the most genuine concern from your blog, and one that I feel Oculus needs to urgently address:

"-Its impossible to drink tea while in the rift."

As a Yorkshireman, I cannot emphasize the importance of fixing this major design oversight.

Easily fixed:

Back to topic: I really love the concept, perfect fit for the rift.

Emanu
Honored Guest
"scsioverdrive" wrote:
Haha, this looks great! 🙂

It really reminds me of a similar idea some friends of mine worked on years ago, dinosaurs with guns: http://www.intuitiongames.com/images/Dinowaurs_allweapons_Row.png

Anyway, you mentioned considering a non combat game vs just adding guns to whales in your blog. I think this neatly summarizes one of game designs toughest challenges. It is so easy to make a game about combat, and so tricky to make a game about almost anything else! You can find exceptions to this (racing games), but my point is more general. 🙂

I would encourage you to explore non combat routes for your whales, whether it be no combat at all, or some sort of hybrid. Though I fully admit there is something strangely charming about seeing a whale with guns strapped to its back. 🙂

Yes, I was sketching up gameplay more about finding resources/treasure and exploring, but now im trying to get a programmer on my team who is working with a similar concept and assimilate his game into mine, and his game was very much about combat. But maybe I can steer him into the more pacifist path after I get him on the project... 😉

Krisper
Explorer
I love the idea, can't wait to see a working demo.

Fluke
Heroic Explorer
"drach" wrote:
Easily fixed:

Drink a brew through a straw?! Nay lad, nay...
Co-host of Recentered - A VR Podcast, available on all normal podcast streaming services.

Chard6
Honored Guest
Awesome, I would suggest sticking with that simple artstyle for as long as humanly possible. It will give you a very unique visual style that people will remember and allow players to ignore that it's not a simulator. Try creating a very simple multiplayer shooter where you have to reload and shoot laser torpedoes solely using your head-tracking. Could you play from inside the whales mouth or eyes or brain? Try to make it as crazy as possible, mix up the gameplay at random intervals with whirlpools and random events, simplistic particle effects, flat shading, simple blocky geometry, minimalistic textures. I believe in you and your project, this has the opportunity to be incredibly fun, to make a big splash at the party games sections of indie festivals and even pick up awards at IGF. Best of Luck!!!
http://blendogames.com/thirtyflightsofloving/
Hammerhead & Hyperast Please spare us a like on social platforms: Facebook, Twitter