cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flight 0.1 (An Oculus Rift + Leap Motion proof of concept)

roguebot
Explorer

Windows Download:
https://mega.co.nz/#!I5tGiJ4T!DIZEt2PcZrZ56B5M8l2D9hMJRUgB5XQWN7AvqfgntvA

Watch the above youtube video for instructions on how to fly.

This is a very rough proof of concept demo. It is buggy, the environment is a placeholder, there are no actual objectives or gameplay other than flying.

I started this project as a break from my main one to see if it was possible to do. I'm not sure where I want to take this project from here, but I haven't seen a demo exactly like it yet, so I thought some people might like to try it out at this (extremely) rough stage.
My Demos Titan Defender: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=3505 vrBubbles: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4066 Flight 0.1: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4330
7 REPLIES 7

griffin
Honored Guest
Congratulations. BEAUTIFUL WORK!

If you get a chance to do a Mac version I'd love to try it out!

griffin
Honored Guest
It would be amazing to integrate your Leap Motion controller into this viewer to allow you to fly around virtual environments:

http://ctrlaltstudio.com/viewer

Did you play with triggering any other actions with the finger tracking?

roguebot
Explorer
"griffin" wrote:
Congratulations. BEAUTIFUL WORK!

If you get a chance to do a Mac version I'd love to try it out!

Thanks! Unfortunately Leap Motion support in Unity requires the application to be built from the same operating system as the deliverable, and my 4 month trial is only good for one machine. I will post an OSX version as soon as I am able.

"griffin" wrote:
Did you play with triggering any other actions with the finger tracking?

The Leap Motion finger tracking isn't too great right now. It works fine in some situations, (and I think I had good success in my bubble popping application) but for something more action driven and fast paced like this demo it needs to be robust.

I was thinking of using open/closed hand gestures to "throw" energy at a target or enemy. But I need to find the time to experiment with that. 😄
My Demos Titan Defender: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=3505 vrBubbles: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4066 Flight 0.1: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4330

griffin
Honored Guest
Very cool roguebot...

Have you played with the Hydra from Razer? I just ordered mine... but it looks like some tracking settings are problematic:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4168&p=55109&hilit=ctrlaltstudio#p55109

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4158&p=53651&hilit=ctrlaltstudio#p53651

MaxSMoke777
Expert Protege
You should try taking the Leap off the desk and attach it to the goggles themselves. Then use pinch/pull gestures to move, like a touchscreen. Only this touchscreen follows around your line of sight, so you don't have to search for the Leap's sweet spot.

I know, sounds crazy. I've suggested this before, and usually people's first opinion is, "That'll never work". Then they try it, and realize it really does works!

polerin
Honored Guest
Currently looking at leap with rift for some exploratory demos, curious what is breaking with finger tracking. Is the issue with finger tracking in the leap (or it's libs) or integration into the engine?

acroyogi
Honored Guest
Roguebot -
could you share the Unity project source on this, because I am working on a similar mechanic.

-AcroYogi
www.dsky9.com/rift/