cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having Problems w/ DK2? [OLD - For Runtime 0.6.0.1]

cybereality
Grand Champion
THIS INFORMATION IS OLD!!! FOR RUNTIME 0.6.0.1

If you recently received your DK2 and are having problems, please read below.

Before playing any DK2 games, you will need to install the Oculus Run-Time. It is available on the download page:

https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/

After installing the Run-Time, please use the Config Util to setup a profile for your DK2. This will let you set your IPD, height, and other options. You can also try the demo scene (inside the Config Util) to make sure the device is working.

In most cases, choosing "Direct Mode" for the "Oculus Display Mode" will be the easiest setting. I believe it selects this by default, but you can always change this from the Oculus icon in task manager (in the lower-right corner on Windows, right-click and choose "Oculus Display Mode"). In "Direct Mode" Windows will not detect the DK2 as a monitor, but games will still be able to work. The light on the headset will stay solid orange, and the screen black, until you play a DK2 compatible game. Once the game loads the light on the DK2 will become solid blue.

If, for whatever reason, "Direct Mode" is not working for the game you are playing, then you can try "Extended Mode". In "Extended Mode" you will need to set the Windows display to extended desktop (and NOT mirror/clone/duplicate).

You also *MUST* rotate the screen orientation for the DK2 screen. Otherwise your screen will be flipped on it's side. You can change this in the Windows display settings, or in the Nvidia/AMD control panel. In Windows you can right-click the desktop, choose "Screen resolution" and then change the "orientation" options from "landscape" to "portrait". With Nvidia, it's under "Display" -> "Rotate Display".

This may also be a good chance to make sure the DK2 is set to 1920x1080 resolution at 75Hz refresh rate.

Keep in mind that the DK2 will *ONLY* work with games and apps that are specifically coded to support the Rift. Just trying to play any old game with the Rift WILL NOT work. You can find a list of DK2 compatible demos on Oculus Share:

https://share.oculus.com/category/dk2

If you run a non-Rift game, or regular 2D application (including the Windows desktop, web browsers, etc.) then the image will look oddly overlapping or cross-eyed. This is because the Rift uses a single display panel shared between both eyes. So each eye is only seeing one side of the same panel. So if you look at normal 2D content, you will only see half in each eye, which is obviously not comfortable.

If you are experiencing choppy motion in games, also called judder, there may be different solution. The first thing to check is that your computer is fast enough to maintain at least 75fps while playing the game. If you have an older computer, the performance can be an issue. Having Aero (desktop composition) "off" can cause slow fps. Make sure Aero is "on". If you are running multiple monitors, this can also be a source of issues. Making the DK2 the primary display can help. Or you can try setting your monitor to 75Hz refresh (usually this will need to be at a lower resolution like 1280x1024). If you are playing Unity content, make sure it's running in DirectX 11 mode. You can do this by creating a shortcut and adding this to the end of the target command (after a space):

-force-d3d11

If your Rift is not being detected at all by the Config Util, then games will not work. In this case, you may want to double-check all the cables and ports. For example, switch the USB port for the Rift and camera, and also the video port on the GPU. Plugging into a powered USB hub can also help. USB 2.0 may have better support. You can also use new (3rd party) HDMI and USB cables. This cable may work as a replacement for the sync cable:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=1 ... 1&format=2

If you are having camera detection or positional tracking issues, then try plugging the sync cable directly from the camera to the headset. You can find the port on the top of the DK2 under the rubber cover. You can also try purchasing the replacement cable above.

In the event you're experiencing crashing in games, or they fail to open, it could be a few things. First, make sure your GPU (graphics card) can support DirectX 11. While older cards may work with some games, it can be a source of issues. Make sure you have the Visual C++ Redistributables installed. You will want both 2010 and 2012 versions in both x86 and x64 flavors.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... px?id=5555
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=14632
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=30679
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=40784

As of the 0.7 Runtime, you should also install the 2015 files (x86 and x64):

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=48145

If you are on Windows 7, and receive exception reports when opening the Oculus Config Util, try installing this patch.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=36805

If you have a laptop, please understand that switchable graphics (i.e. Nvidia Optimus) are not well supported. In this case you will have an integrated Intel GPU working along side a more powerful Nvidia or AMD card. Unfortunately, this can be problematic and not recommended. In fact, laptop computers are not recommended at all due to lack of power and various compatibility issues. For the best experience, please use a desktop machine with a dedicated Nvidia or AMD GPU. It's hard to give an exact minimum supported spec, but please try to get a powerful, modern graphics card.

If you are using an AMD GPU, there are currently some compatibility issues with newer drivers. This may manifest has the desktop becoming a black screen, games crashing, etc. It is recommend you revert to Catalyst driver 14.4 until the problems are solved.

If you are on an Nvidia GPU and are getting a strange double-image in each eye, it is a bug with the 347.09 driver. Please update to driver 347.25 (or newer) for better compatibility (make sure to do a clean install and un-check any Nvidia 3D Vision options). Also, if you are using a G-Sync monitor, you may get strange artifacts on the left side of the screen (shifting the Rift image to the right). To work around the problem, please use Direct Mode.

Currently there are conflicts with certain anti-virus and security programs (like ZoneAlarm or Comodo) that may cause the installation of the run-time and drivers to fail. They can also affect running of the service. Unfortunately they may have to be uninstalled, just disabling may not always work.

In addition, USB display hardware or some virtual display/overlay software may cause issues. Known problematic hardware includes DisplayLink, Dell SuperSpeed, and Asus USB displays. Software such as TeamViewer or Origin in-game-overlay may also cause issues.

Finally, if you receive and error that looks something like this "57493-Public TCID:158609 is not responding" it probably means you have the Rift plugged into the wrong video port. This can typically happen when you have multiple GPUs (for example SLI/Crossfire or integrated) and plug the Rift into the wrong video card. Ideally, the Rift should be plugged into the primary video card via HDMI.

For 0.7 specific issues, including supported GPUs and Windows 10 instructions, see here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=26029

Hopefully this covers the main issues. If you have any common questions, please feel free to reply here. If you have a really strange or unique issue, then creating a new thread in the "Reporting Issues" section may be the better option. Thanks.

// cybereality
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
473 REPLIES 473

tmason101
Honored Guest
Thank you for this post, CyberReality. This helps a lot.

What isn't covered, however, is OpenGL and "Direct" mode.

Are we to take it that OpenGL and "Direct" mode is still not supported 100% by the SDK at this time?

And if not, what is the official timeframe from the engineers on this?

Gizmotweak
Explorer
Awesome Cyber! Thanks for putting a troubleshooting sticky up.
This space available for advertising.

saviornt
Protege
1) There is a difference between resolution and pixel density. The reason for the SDE is the due to how dense the pixels are.
2) If you have to ask if you should buy it (the dev kit), then the answer is probably no.
3) If your having issues with the Camera not powering on, try using a powered USB hub (worked for me)
4) Make sure the sync cable to the camera is installed completely. It was a tight fit for me... :lol:
Current WIPs using Unreal Engine 4: Agrona - Tales of an Era: Medieval Fantasy MORPG

Luciferous
Consultant
Great I think we need more Official posts like this. There are so many myths flying about.

I would include some notes about the latest SDK as well. Looking at the number of issues people are experiencing who have had the Rift for a while, new DK2 owners will not stand a chance.

bjaggi
Honored Guest
I seriously hope that no-clone is a temporary setback and not a permanent change, extend mode is a lot more trouble and makes spectating a lot more difficult. The mouse pointer moves way into the "extended desktop" introduced by extended mode, I liked the good old days when you simply Alt-Tabbed to desktop to do things out of game and then Alt-Tabbed right back, easy. Developers aren't even supporting both Direct and Extended mode, just seems like everything is getting more confusing and problematic...

I hope Direct mode means games will be offering a normal camera spectator view for the computer screen to be used alongside the rift, but at least cloning meant you could easily spectate in rift-view on the screen...

A simple spectate-with-another-rift setup would also be great, don't know if it works out of the box at the moment because I only have one DK2 and can't use the DK1 because of the orientation...

If I was responsible for advancing the DK2, I would put all my efforts into Clone Mode and Spectate, everything else can wait, except maybe backwards compatibility with DK1 games

cybereality
Grand Champion
Direct mode has the ability to mirror to a window on the monitor.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Wireline
Explorer
Thanks for the sticky Cyber 🙂

djlonestarr
Honored Guest
I have the oculus in extended mode but my windows won't detect it at the 75hz refresh rate, it maxes out at 60. I tried using CRU to force the resolution/refresh rate combination but it still won't show up. I've been able to force my monitor to 1920x1080@75hz but still the oculus doesn't even give me the option in extended mode to run 75hz. Any idea what I'm doing wrong or what I need to do to fix this?

Adarma25
Honored Guest
Hi cybereality, i have that problem you are talking aboute, and i have been trying and trying to get it to work but every time i switch the screen to be standing, and when i go in a demo world or a game of mine, the oculus rift screen is sideways
And all the time all i can see is my wallpaper standing sideways.

The light is blue on the rift and the motion tracker, i enter a game called Left4Dead 2 and all i can see is my desktop wallpaper, not the game. what is going on? i have been trying for hours now, how no ide what to do now :S