Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LA2097 (WIP) Oculus experience inspired by Blade Runner

zx81
Explorer
New Build 19/01/16
v0.8.2 https://mega.nz/#!pQY2kBYI!W03UaKxmhA90sQU69Mc7dou4W_1tr1-3EWCq5eQ46T0

Lots of improvents, more lighting, more pipes, better cars, more neon... a head. a nice new window blind. umm flashing lights... ummm

There will be many more improvements to come...

I'm sloowly building this experience...My first solo VR project. It's inspired but Deckard's apartment balcony. I don't plan on being enslaved by the films details, but rather want to capture the mood more than anything. That being said, the environment you see here is just me mapping out things.

I plan to have the flying vehicles moving, plenty of atmospheric lighting. Would love any feedback anyone may have! Thank you for checking it out.

Try this while playing Vangelis - Memories of Green or Blade Runner Blues Also, you can use the edge of your desk as the balcony ledge.

Old builds:
v0.5 https://mega.nz/#!pcR2lAIT!oFrCpjH54JS3 ... P9EF_0yDd4
18 REPLIES 18

gmaciocci
Protege
I love the new update. I'm a huge Blade Runner fan and I think you're well on your way to capturing the ambiance. Keep working on it!

Small suggestion: I tend to play this experience standing up, and leaning over the parapet and looking up is a really great way of experiencing a tinge of presence and vertigo. You should put some signage or something to catch the eye in the big building in front and just to the left of your starting position, something that can only be appreciated when looking up.

zx81
Explorer
"gmaciocci" wrote:
I love the new update. I'm a huge Blade Runner fan and I think you're well on your way to capturing the ambiance. Keep working on it!

Small suggestion: I tend to play this experience standing up, and leaning over the parapet and looking up is a really great way of experiencing a tinge of presence and vertigo. You should put some signage or something to catch the eye in the big building in front and just to the left of your starting position, something that can only be appreciated when looking up.

Thank you for trying it out and your suggestions! You know, I've not actually tried it while standing! my workspace is quite limited and means I need to move my chair out the way! So much effort. haha I'll try it out.
And I like your thoughts on signage... or some kind of embellishment on the big building in front looking up. I like the thought that the building across is mostly abandoned, with just the lower to mid levels being in use. So anything on the upper-levels might look disused and dilapidated.

zx81
Explorer
A sample of some concept work I've been developing to help me drive the visual design of the experience.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Love it!
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

zx81
Explorer
Thanks Cyber!

Metalsludge
Explorer
Oddly enough, as much as games, this is just the sort of experience I am looking forward to in VR. Relaxing but immersive environments that can take you away for a while. Come in from shoveling snow, and relax, not just with come hot chocolate, but with a quick trip to nearly 22nd century LA on a rainy day. VR makes such things possible whether it's winter or summer, the daytime, or the middle of the night. Sign me up!

I enjoy the rain and being able to look up to see it coming down. Perhaps a few more details when one looks up as well as down would add to the scene? Also, the more little details the better for overall immersion, so keep the developments coming!

One thing that occurred to me was that, in real life, one could see a little movement in the windows that one can see far off in places. Perhaps adding some simple, not too repetitive, animations or light shifts in some of the windows could add to the illusion of a living city.

Anyway, overall, it's shaping up nicely. I look forward to seeing where this goes.

Anonymous
Not applicable
this would make a great environment setting for something like virtual desktop i.e. a screen on the wall of the apartment you're in to watch tv/films etc

Heaney-555
Heroic Explorer
Hi, I found this really cool standing with the Rift (CV1).

You should bring this to Oculus Concepts! It would reach more people there.

darkangel6415
Explorer
Sigh let me say looks great i like it as a matter of fact I just watched blade runner on Netflix last night lol. I really wish stuff like this would work on samsung gear vr headset. I often watch the trailer/ video of " ANDROID DREAM " on samsung gear vr headset. It has you as passenger on one of the floating cars going around the city