cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LiveViewRift - enjoy your media (DK2 compatible)

mrjazz
Honored Guest
LiveViewRift lets you watch different kinds of media with the Oculus Rift. You can use it to watch a movie, a panorama-slideshow or even do FPV-flying with the Rift. With its powerful distortion- and field-of-view-correction functions LiveViewRift lets you enjoy media as your eyes would be where the camera is.

It supports network cameras offering MJPEG-streams over http, cameras supported by OpenCV, Blackmagic DeckLink, iSight, display-mirroring and youtube-videos. Additionally you can watch photos and videos on your computer.

Various mapping functions for correcting the image-distortion, field-of-view and view-pitch are configurable. All mapping parameters are fully adjustable and automatically memorized. Different views lets you conveniently calibrate your image-source. Rectilinear (normal), equidistant (typical fisheye), equirectangular (360°-panoramas), stereographic ("little planet") and cylindrical (iPhone-panoramas) mappings are supported.

Also side-by-side stereo content is supported. With the help of advanced thought-out 3D-calibration features it will just work perfectly with any source offering side-by-side content.

With its environment-feature you can watch your media in virtual scenes like cinemas or other fun places. You can even use your own scenes by supplying them in the fbx-format.

LiveViewRift uses the official Oculus SDK for giving a state of the art experience and supporting the latest hardware from Oculus.

Possible use-cases amongst others are:

• watch slideshows with mixed normal and panoramic photos

• watch side-by-side stereo-content, including JPS- and MPO-images

• watch full-length movies

• watch youtube-videos

• do FPV-flying with correct field-of-view and camera-distortion- and pitch-correction as you would be sitting on the plane

• do augmented-reality experiments by attaching a camera to the Rift (get amazing results with the iPhone-app iPCamera, which transmits compatible orientation-data together with the live-video)

• Use the Rift as a virtual computer-screen for browsing the web, playing games, etc.

You can download LiveViewRift for Mac OS X 10.9 and Windows 7/8 here:
Mac (v3.13.1, DK1 and DK2): http://soft.viarum.com/download/liveviewrift3131_mac_220914.dmg
Windows (v3.13.1, DK1 and DK2): http://soft.viarum.com/download/liveviewrift3131_win_220914.msi

Here is a basic tutorial video:

Newest updates:

UPDATE 08/31/14 7:42 pm PDT:
Version 3.3:
-gamepad support (button-assignment visible under misc->gamepad-help)
-improved mediabrowser (formerly filebrowser)
-unusable items are not shown in mediabrowser
-removed interlaced stereo because of low relevance

UPDATE 09/01/14 8:39 pm PDT:
Version 3.4:
-display-mirroring added for Windows 8
-media-files can be opened by dropping them onto the app
-bugfix: highlighted folders in mediabrowser correct

UPDATE 09/02/14 11:55 am PDT
Version 3.5:
-screen distance adjustable for equirectangular and cylindrical mappings

UPDATE 09/05/14 7:38 pm PDT
Version 3.6:
-mouse-support added (now almost everything including media-browsing can be done without having to take off the Rift!)
-adjustable circular clipping with smoothstep-feathering in equidistant mode (great for merging multiple fisheye-pictures or cameras)
-projection-center can be specified in equidistant- and stereographic-modes
-bank-correction added (rotation-order: bank->pitch->yaw)
-overheadless layer-duplication added (great for working with multiplex-panoramas)
-slideshows/media-browsing can be started with files as well as directories
-Oculus SDK 0.4.2

UPDATE 09/06/14 10:25 am PDT
Version 3.7:
-visual timeline and seeking with the mouse through videos
-clicking on the empty space below the hud hides the hud
-improved audio-playback performance

UPDATE 09/06/14 10:26 pm PDT:
Version 3.8:
-layers can be soloed/muted (when more than one layer exists)
-hud with rounded corners
-with a gamepad yaw and pitch can not be altered at the same time anymore

UPDATE 09/07/14 5:01 pm PDT:
Version 3.9:
-subtitle support (ASS/SSA-format embedded into video-file)
-support of 3D video-files with dual-video streams (i.e. 3D MKV, Fuji W3, etc.)
-convergence-parameter in conjunction with non-rectilinear modes adjusts yaw- instead of translation-difference
-bugfix: videos with unicode-characters in their filenames can be watched
-bugfix: support of videos with high framerates like 50 or 60fps
-rift-tracking can be disabled with Ctrl-R (Command-R on Mac)

UPDATE 09/09/14 3:38 am PDT:
Version 3.10:
-support of Youtube-videos
-forced small system-audio buffer of 2048 samples and added option to adjust pre-delay (under misc settings) for ensuring optimal audio-synchronization on all systems
-added vertical calibration line
-calibration lines can be toggled

UPDATE 09/11/14 2:07 pm PDT:
Version 3.11:
-settings can be saved to file and opened with mediabrowser
-photos can be downloaded from web
-video looping

UPDATE 09/12/14 10:10 am PDT:
Version 3.12:
-settings can be shared by creating LVR-IDs and opening them with the "LVR-ID open..."-button

UPDATE 09/15/14 11:20 pm PDT:
Version 3.13:
-lvr-ids can be opened from web browser by using url-scheme lvrid://123456
-multiple lvr-ids can be combined to playlist-lvr-id
-autostarting of videos can be disabled
-bugfix: setup-settings regarding fullscreen, hud and h&s-warning also applied when opening LVR-IDs
-bugfix: Pressing Ctrl+S enables the hud, if it was disabled before
-bugfix: parameters are also remembered correctly when changing them via gamepad
-exchange-format changed from xml to json (still downward compatible to reading xml)

UPDATE 09/22/14 3:50 pm PDT:
Version 3.13.1:
-bugfix: Test-button works again

complete changelog
Watch panoramic 3D photos, videos and do FPV-flying with LiveViewRift! viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11001
633 REPLIES 633

mrjazz
Honored Guest
I created another video for demonstrating how to watch movies and do screen-mirroring:

Btw, it would be great to get some input from you about what to change or to add. 🙂
I believe that my application currently is the best available media player for the Rift and I would like to make it even better. But I can't do it without your help.
Watch panoramic 3D photos, videos and do FPV-flying with LiveViewRift! viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11001

spyro
Expert Protege
Looks very interesting indeed!

So would it be possible to mount a High-FOV-wecam along with a Rasperry Pi + WiFi module on a quadrocopter or a RC car, stream the video to a notebook where it's processed for the Rift? That should work because the really latency critical headtracking would be handled locally, right?

Could be the app I was waiting for! 🙂

Great work!

spyro

molton
Explorer
wow, I want to watch space odessey in the rift! If you keep zooming the field of view can you make it so big you can actually look around the frame? that would be so cool. I'm going to go try this now and find out.

edit: your program makes the DK1 permanently useful. It would be cool to have the option to run it at 1280x800 for the DK1, but I'm sure this looks even better with a DK2. The video feature is great. I love the p button functionality to wrap the screen like that, very cool. I think the slideshow feature is my favorite. I love how it saves the settings. Where exactly are those settings saved? If they are saved with the pictures it would be awesome if you start a website where people can upload slideshows.

mrjazz
Honored Guest
"spyro" wrote:
So would it be possible to mount a High-FOV-wecam along with a Rasperry Pi + WiFi module on a quadrocopter or a RC car, stream the video to a notebook where it's processed for the Rift? That should work because the really latency critical headtracking would be handled locally, right?

Absolutely! I initially made this app for doing exactly this. I already did some flights with a Hero3 mounted to a PhantomII. I use the DJI Lightbridge to transmit the HD-signal to the ground and a Blackmagic UltraStudio4K to get it into the computer. With an Arduino-board I get the pitch of the Rift into the Lightbridge to control the pitch of the H3-3D-gimbal. The video-latency and smoothed response of the gimbal is perfectly compensated by my app (by reconstructing the resulting delayed and smoothed gimbal-pitch and applying it to the virtual screen). It's not exactly a cheap solution, but it works just awesome. 🙂

"molton" wrote:
It would be cool to have the option to run it at 1280x800 for the DK1, but I'm sure this looks even better with a DK2.

Currently the resolution is used you set your desktop to. But this will change anyway with the direct-mode of the Oculus SDK 0.4. Btw, as soon as the new SDK is also available for the Mac, I will update my app to be compatible with the DK2.

"molton" wrote:
Where exactly are those settings saved? If they are saved with the pictures it would be awesome if you start a website where people can upload slideshows.

I'm developing the application with the platform-independent framework Qt. The settings are stored by using default behavior of its QSettings-class. The actual storage-location is platform-dependent. On a Mac the settings are stored in the ~/Library/Preferences-folder. On Windows they should be stored in the registry (I did never look into it though, but a search for "LiveViewRift" should reveal it).
I think, it could be a good idea to add an option to store the settings as individual xml-files in same folder where the pictures are. (Similar to how Photoshop creates the xmp-files of raw-images.) Storing it within the exif-data of the images, could also be good for easy sharing of them.
I could add a feature to watch images on the web directly, too. Specifying an URL of a xml-file containing all needed information could for instance launch the slideshow. So basically you would click on a link in your browser and my app would be launched.
If you would like to work on ideas like these with me, it would be awesome! 🙂

molton
Explorer
Thanks,my internet went out last night but I figured that out and watched a national geographic program called sunrise earth that was perfect for this. That deffinetly works that way, I just set my resolution in windows to 1280x800. probably the longest time i spent in the rift

"mrjazz" wrote:
it could be a good idea to add an option to store the settings as individual xml-files in same folder where the pictures are. (Similar to how Photoshop creates the xmp-files of raw-images.) Storing it within the exif-data of the images, could also be good for easy sharing of them.
If I were you I'd make some kind of product out of this because it's awesome, and I'm broke 🙂 I don't know what kind of libraries your using with all the licencing nonsense that might make that difficult. if you do want to share the source code I could probably find some time to work on externalising the settings to an xml file or something like the Thumbs.db file in windows but for LiveViewRift. After all, it's a feature I want 🙂 I've worked with qt a tiny bit before, I think all I did was turn an opengl qt program into a wxwidgets program, I've worked with wxwidgets a bunch more, but they are very similar.

"mrjazz" wrote:
I could add a feature to watch images on the web directly, too. Specifying an URL of a xml-file containing all needed information could for instance launch the slideshow. So basically you would click on a link in your browser and my app would be launched.

That would be awesome!! I've never been that excited about Oculus Rift web browsing, but this is exciting. The immersion you are able to get with this program is amazing, even with the DK1.

chrispetty
Honored Guest
Hello. Nice work !!
Can you provide any guidance to me on connecting to a network ip cam that I have connected on my local network.
It outputs a mjpeg video stream but I'm not sure how to configure it with the settings in LiveViewRift ?
A little background, the camera is a Canon VB-C60 Network Camera.
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/security_video_solutions/network_cameras/vb_c60#Speci...

I can connect and view the video easily via a local ip like 192.168.0.9
However, that is an html page with div id that is displaying the mjpeg video being processed through a local js file.

Just wondering if you've had any experience with this type of camera and how might I be able to use it with LiveViewRift.
I have a DK1.

Best,
Chris.

mrjazz
Honored Guest
"chrispetty" wrote:
Can you provide any guidance to me on connecting to a network ip cam that I have connected on my local network.
It outputs a mjpeg video stream but I'm not sure how to configure it with the settings in LiveViewRift ?

Often you just have to right-click the live-picture in your web browser and to copy the URL. If that doesn't work, you could use a network sniffer to catch the URL while the stream is being established. When you've got the URL, you just have to paste it into LiveViewRift.

chrispetty
Honored Guest
Thanks! I'll try it this evening.

keliway
Honored Guest
It's great, I really love it! Had a lot of fun playing around with the iPCamera App! Keep doing cool stuff like this.
Just as an idea, would it be possible to stream two IP Cameras to the oculus? so like 1 for each eye?

Thanks a lot und viele gruesse aus Palo Alto 🙂
Jonas
"Nvidia, Fuck You!" -Linus Torvalds