cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way - Cate Archer lives again in VR!

Anonymous
Not applicable
9v9ssvz4qgm4.png

Edit: it's out!
*** Update Feb 13: Third release, with some improvements and localized versions also for the Vive!
*** Update Feb 2: The mod now works correctly on the HTC Vive thanks to the magic of Revive!!!
*** Update Jan 16-25: All localized versions released!

Grab it while it's hot at https://github.com/LukeRoss00/nolf2-real-mod/releases

Instructions are included with the release. Let me know (preferably here so it can help other users, but a PM is fine too) if you find any problems or if you get any joy!!!

THANKS to all of you who tested the mod and reported back, and also thanks to the many others who volunteered. Although I did my best to fine-tune the release, I don't expect everything to work perfectly for everyone, so your feedback will still be very important.

SweViver has made a fun gameplay video ("Come here, lady: I'm gonna slice you with my katana!"):

https://youtu.be/hJhE84R74_0

Have fun kicking H.A.R.M.'s butt  

Original post:

Hi folks!

No One Lives Forever 2 is one of my favorite games of all time. In my mind, there was only one way to make it better (apart from a much awaited sequel, that sadly looks like it's never going to happen): a total VR conversion!

The VR community has given a lot to me. Amazing mods like Doom 3 BFG - VR, Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast VR, the MotherVR mod for Alien: Isolation, the very existence of affordable devices like the Rift and the Vive: I really wanted to give something back. I also desperately wanted to play NOLF2 in VR, and... nobody else was doing it, so I decided to step in.

In honor of the traditional bent for acronyms that pervades the NOLF universe, I couldn't restrain myself from naming this the "R.E.A.L." mod. I have done my best to preserve the magic of NOLF2 by keeping the VR conversion as close as possible to the original feel of the game, in every aspect that I could think of.

I believe that the mod is basically ready for release, and now I am looking for testers to make sure there are no glaring problems before making it available to the whole community.

If you are willing to experience Cate Archer in VR and you don't mind the occasional rough spot, reply here or PM me and I will send you a link to download the mod. Of course you will need the original game in order to play. It is best if you have some time to spend on this in order to go through the full game and report on any bugs that you might find, but even if you can just play a level or two, your help is precious to ensure that the community will be able to enjoy a quality release.

On my system (Oculus Rift, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, Xbox One controller) the mod works very smoothly and runs at 90 fps with 2.0 supersampling, 4x antialiasing and all the graphics options maxed out. The game still truly is a beauty to behold, keeping in mind that 15 years have gone by since it was originally released. Ideally, I would like to have some testers that can report to me how (and if) the mod works on different configurations: for instance AMD graphics cards, Logitech controllers, and so on.

Even though this is obviously not the right forum to ask, if anyone also has a Vive available, it would be good to know if everything works correctly through Revive.

Thank you for reading this, and I hope that you will enjoy playing the mod as much as I did coding it!!!

Update Dec 12:
Depending on your system configuration, you might run into problems if you install the original game inside "Program Files (x86)" (trouble unpacking the mod files, game doesn't save, etc.). When NOLF2 came out in 2002, Windows wasn't protecting the Program Files folder yet, so the developers decided to put the saves inside the program's directory, as was customary at the time. To avoid trouble, it's best if you choose a normal folder during installation: for instance, tell the No One Lives Forever 2 installer to put the game in C:\MyGames\NOLF2.

Update Dec 11:

If the mod is crashing for you and/or you don't see Cate Archer's welcome animation at the title screen, you might have conflicting versions of the game's effects library. In your installation folder, you might find a subfolder named "Game", and inside that, a file named "CLIENTFX.FXD" (there's also a "CLIENTFX" folder, but I'm talking about the file). Either delete just this specific "CLIENTFX.FXD" file, or delete the whole "Game" subfolder altogether, which will save you 1,75 GB of disk space. Don't worry about the contents of the "Game" folder: they're all duplicate files and old versions, and they were needed only for working with the level editor.
149 REPLIES 149

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the positive comments!! Playing seated is fine, but roomscale is much more fun if you have a controller 😉

About NOLF1: I have received a few requests for this, but I'm not quite convinced that it would translate very well to VR. People remember it fondly, but despite being just a couple of years older, the game is much more primitive than NOLF2. Just to make an example, facial animations are non-existent, even in cutscenes (the characters simply flap their mouths at random, not even in sync with dialogue), compared to the amazingly realistic nuances of NOLF2. Also, the game was designed to run with an older version of the Lithtech engine and on DX7 (!), which means that it would probably take an insane amount of work to make the necessary conversions in order to interface it with modern VR SDKs.

About Contract J.A.C.K.: Now, if there's one game that everybody loves to hate... Amazing that you liked it, I thought I was the only person in the world that had positive feelings about CJ 🙂 That is actually feasible from a technical point of view, so stay tuned!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Man - I had written a response and went back to edit a miss spelled word - and the whole post got deleted. LOL Been a while since I have been on a forum.

Thanks for replying! 🙂

I agree NOLF does not hold up as well as a NOLF2 does - especially the cutscenes which seem to go on forever. But the level design is still top notch - and I think for the most part it would still be fun in VR (I love looking at basic stuff in VR, I have been playing Quake and the original Doom and I am surprised how cool that oldschool level design looks scaled to my perspective). But I definitely understand that NOLF would be a significant undertaking - with maybe not as much return on it.

I love Contract JACK - it feels like all the best shooting bits from NOLF2 were cut off and put into a level pack. Which is great as I always try to stealth NOLF2 as much as I can. Plus it adds a little bit of context to the NOLF 2 plot - so it is definitely part of the series and worth playing.

As for roomscale - I can't seem to get my xbox360 controller to work, I assumed it requires an xbox one controller. Which is ok - I am planning on getting one at some point and I will experience NOLF2 like that as well 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

As for roomscale - I can't seem to get my xbox360 controller to work, I assumed it requires an xbox one controller

Re: the Xbox 360 controller, that's strange, because there is no reason why it shouldn't be working just like the Xbox One controller. Would you care to try with the little program that I posted here? I never heard back from @Chen1...

Anonymous
Not applicable

LukeRoss said:

Re: the Xbox 360 controller, that's strange, because there is no reason why it shouldn't be working just like the Xbox One controller. Would you care to try with the little program that I posted here? I never heard back from @Chen1...

I figured out what issue I was having - my go to controller is actually a PS4 controller (I know - boo, hiss -  but I like it - and it plays nice with Steam for games like Morrowind, Deus Ex, System Shock, etc. lol). I use my 360 controller as a secondary for games that just don't like my PS4 controller (the new Wolfenstein refuses to see it) - as soon as I unplugged my PS4 controller I was able to use my 360 controller in NOLF2 with no issues, and you are right there is something to standing up and being able to look around in this world, likely going to finish most of my play through using this method.

Anonymous
Not applicable

LukeRoss said:

still looking for a volunteer to help me translate the new VR menus into French  :#

Je suis là, you can send me your lines by  PM 🙂

And what about Shogo ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wait ShogoVR? That would be killer!!!

ifreak490
Honored Guest
I'm having a problem starting the game. Whenever I try to start it, I get an error message saying "Failed to initialize LibOVR" (I'm playing on Vive btw) Any Idea on what might be causing this?q1c0y9bd669q.png

Anonymous
Not applicable
See this issue. You probably just need to install the Oculus runtime as per Revive instructions.

alexplaysvideogamez
Honored Guest

The sound doesn't work when I load up the game. Everything else seems to work. Any advice?

Genericat
Expert Protege

Needs motion controls at this point in 2023. Any hope of this Luke?