Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ocean Rift (now with DK2 support)

sfaok
Level 4
Edit : You can download the DK2 version of the demo here:

Ocean Rift v1.03 DK2
Blog post

I've basically gone back to the original demo I released this time last year and 'enhanced' it with extra animals and small examples of tech from the full version.

----------------------------

Hi everyone,

Ocean Rift is a deep sea demo I've developed while learning Unity. I've used it to test out lots of ideas about creating atmosphere underwater - I think some of it works really well.

Project Website
Download v1.01

In the demo you'll meet a number of different shark species, schooling fish and a humpback whale. In the deep you'll find a hungry Megalodon shark. To be honest you shouldn't really go down there, and you should definitely warn anyone else thinking about trying this demo about him too.

Would love to hear what you all think!
-Llyr

Flickr gallery : http://tinyurl.com/mgcgs2w
YouTube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUEXgpOQYe0

Notes:

• Demo works best with a controller and headphones. I highly recommend setting the volume quite high as it adds a lot to the atmosphere when there's plenty of bass.

• You can't swim, the main reason being everyone instinctively tries to swim for the surface, and there's nothing above sea level yet! Enforcing a ceiling was really uncomfortable, so for the time being you're wearing a deep sea suit.

• The fish basically move around using tweening so there's no avoidance / collision code. You can interact with the Megalodon if you want though!

• At the moment fog is calculated by simple depth. Unity's Global Fog image effect gives an amazing sense of vertical depth but image effects seem to be automatically order to occur after lense distortion which introduces artifacts. Don't think there's much I can do about this yet, unless anyone has any ideas.

• I've tried to add as much polish as possible, but there are a few bugs like the occasional jittering and rarely you will fall through the terrain. Not sure what's causing this.

• v1.01 - Slope limit increased. Tweaks to shark animation speed. 'F' key toggles fog mode between exp and exp2 for preference.

• v1.02 - DK2 support. Enhanced version with extra creatures.

Developer of Ocean Rift. Follow me on Twitter @sfaok
95 REPLIES 95

MatiasP
Level 2
Hilarius video Ryumitch xD

MajorLag
Level 2
I was getting framerate dips to 50fps while looking towards the small fish/sunken boat on my GTX 295 (DX10 level card) but now I get 60fps all the time by running it with -force-d3d11. So much better 🙂

sfaok
Level 4
"MajorLag" wrote:
I was getting framerate dips to 50fps while looking towards the small fish/sunken boat on my GTX 295 (DX10 level card) but now I get 60fps all the time by running it with -force-d3d11. So much better 🙂
Interesting -I know several people have mentioned slow performance on fast machines so this could potentially be one work around.

Qelric
Level 2
Amazing demo! I tried multiple times to swim up before reading the ReadMe but the shark, OMG!!! I made a video of me and my mum playing it - it was her first time trying the Oculus Rift. 😛

Anyway, thanks for this experience and keep up the great work!

Invoke
Level 2
I loved it :D.

Could you maybe add an option/command/switch to make the sharks invisible?
I want to show it to my best friend but she has a huge fear of sharks :roll:
Programmer - No need for alcohol anymore, I'm drunk on VR. Now where's that bucket.. ~ Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

BundyRuss
Level 2
Swimming around without a controller here. Does anyone know keys to change depth?
Ordered: 24th March Delivered ?

sfaok
Level 4
I thought I'd post a little update here. I fully intend to develop Ocean Rift further and have been working on a bunch of different animation technologies for it. Here's some examples of what I've got so far - it's basically a generalised animation system for large (and small) marine animals.

These go in order of development, so each is more advanced than the last. I'll eventually get them all updated.

Great White Shark

Pliosaur

3 Dolphins

20 Dolphins!

I feel that procedural animation tech like this will be very important to VR in the future, as enables for much more vivid interaction and organic behaviour. More soon!

drash
Level 7
I love it. 🙂 You're really onto something re: procedural animation. Can't wait to experience it.
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

WPKenny
Level 2
Stunning stuff! If you're not ready to release a demo just yet, is there any chance you can record some of the videos side-by-side so we can watch them through the rift?

RiftXdev
Level 3
Looks great. Please release what you have, I love Ocean Rift alot and would love to see Ocean Rift comes again, ORCA
DK1 | DK2 "The question isn't who is going to let me but rather who is going to stop me"