cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Overlay for SideBySide content

holophone3d
Explorer
If you got an expiration warning, just grab the latest version below

Hey guys, I just prototyped an "OculusOverlay" and it's pretty cool. It can warp in realtime any source content of any size from any desktop window into the OculusRift format I've included a screenshot that shows a 3D trailer from youTube playing on my desktop and a Oculus adjusted view in my second monitor. I was thinking this would be easier than trying to make all applications that produce SideBySide content Rift compatible... this works for videos, games, images, emulators (VirtualBoy anyone 😉 ), anything really...

This now has support for tons of features, check out the readme.txt or hit 'SpaceBar' to get a command list!

Let me know what you think.

OculusOverlay0.92a.zip
OculusOverlayUpdate2.jpg

UPDATE 9/11/16: Latest code update is 0.92a without expiration

*Note* - this requires the XNA 4.0 redist installed (6.7mb) you can get it from MS here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=20914
157 REPLIES 157

SirPFS
Honored Guest
Meh... Crashed every time I hit "Z" and I cant find out why 😞

Signaidy
Honored Guest
pretty cool dude, keep up the good work... just asking, will mac and linux be suported...? :?:

darthcoffee
Honored Guest
Haven't tried it yet but it sounds really cool.
Any chance you wanna post the source or push it to github? I'd like to help add some features.

gtrdrt
Honored Guest
I searched this thread but couldn't find anything about whether Oculus Overlay works with side-by-side images that are made for *crosseyed* 3D viewing. What I'd specifically like to see is a way to view Stereoscopic Google Earth (at http://earth-api-samples.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/demos/stereo/stereo.html) with the rift. Thanks...

gtrdrt
Honored Guest
Hi, holophone3d. I notice you haven't contributed to this thread in over a month. Are you no longer supporting this project?

holophone3d
Explorer
Yea, still supporting it - just so little free time between work/fam and other projects. Does the cross eye support simply just involve flipping the left and right images?

gtrdrt
Honored Guest
"holophone3d" wrote:
Yea, still supporting it - just so little free time between work/fam and other projects. Does the cross eye support simply just involve flipping the left and right images?

Hey, thanks for responding. Glad you're still supporting it. I've also inquired about this subject on the "Stereoscopic 3D" forum. Here's what a poster named drash had to say...

If it's made for cross-eyed viewing, the left and right images would have to be reversed (and then lens correction applied). There is also the matter of making sure that those left and right images have the right separation to feel comfortable for your IPD and the Rift devkit's fixed lens separation, but maybe just maybe there is already a tool that can do all this.

VR Player perhaps? Or maybe the Oculus Overlay can do this?

What kind of category would the web browser plugin for Google Earth fit into? Game? Other than "plugin," I have no idea what it is, but it sure would be great if you could make it viewable on the Rift with your Oculus Overlay. Here's wishing you all the time in the world you need... 🙂

Laserschwert
Honored Guest
"holophone3d" wrote:
Does the cross eye support simply just involve flipping the left and right images?
Not flipping but swapping them. If you flip them, the image is mirrored 😉

holophone3d
Explorer
Just dropped version 0.9 on the main page that now includes support for Cross Eye content when in 3D mode (use the 'V' key to flip the sides).
I also added a command list you can pull up with SpaceBar since there are a ton of hotkeys now.

Let me know how it works out for you. 😄

gtrdrt
Honored Guest
"holophone3d" wrote:
Let me know how it works out for you. 😄

Very nicely! Thank you so much.

It takes me a good bit of time to get it set up right, but once I have it set up, it works very well, and I can now view
Google Earth stereoscopically without having to cross my eyes. Awesome!! My problems setting it up could very likely be due to my not knowing yet just how Oculus Overlay (OO,perhaps?) works.

One of the things I have difficulty understanding is setting up the screen capture area. I've crashed the program several times trying to do that. I'm not sure if you're supposed to hold a mouse button down when you move the cursor while holding h and holding y. I don't know when, or even if, you should click, hold, and/or release a mouse button during this procedure. Any sort of detailed step-by-step instruction about this would be greatly appreciated if anyone should happen to have the time.

I also can never get it so that my mouse cursor is visible in the OO window. Getting that right might help with the problem I cite above, but it would also help greatly with the whole program if I could see my mouse cursor. Again, I'd be very grateful for any pointers regarding this too.

Finally, would it be very difficult for you to update the head-tracking version of OO so that it too will work with cross-eyed side-by-side content? I don't know if this would work for the stereoscopic Google Earth website, but I'd sure like to give it a try.

Bottom line though, thank you very much for all the work you've done on this. Oculus Overlay is excellent!