cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Polygon Nightmare - Old School VR

Enmark
Level 5
Hi. im Swedish guy with early dreams of VR since i first tried the "Virtuality" arcade machine "Nightmare" later called "Dactyl Nightmare". My goal is to bring my childhood dream back from the dead, for the historic value and because it was a lot of peoples first VR experience!

I have gain the original Programer and graphic designers blessing to recreate the game. but have failed to reach the actual owner of the Game.

The game will be Free of charge and should NOT be redistributed without my knowledge.

Everything is built from scratch and is measured by eye sight from this lone clip!
all 3D work is made in sketchup and all sound effects are taken from the original videoclip.

201 REPLIES 201

DarkTenka
Level 10
Just a couple more days!

What a journey. 🙂

Enmark
Level 5

nalex66
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Awesome, will give it a go tonight!

elboffor
Level 12
Same 🙂
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

cybereality
Level 16
Great job. Got to play today. Brings back memories. Now you just have to include a 10 lb sand bag to strap to the Rift to simulate how heavy the old HMD was.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Enmark
Level 5
On tuesday i'm going to or tech museum in Stockholm.  To photograph and caress the real thing. 😉  
but i don't expect it to work anymore!   :'(

Someday i want to go to the Leicester museum to try a working one! 

Thanks everyone for the support and happy retro memories  ❤️

RABID
Level 5
i played it standing up in my Virtuix Omni. 😄

Percy1983
Level 9
I used a full working machine about a year ago, had 2 machines so a beat my brother in 2 player. Was at the play expo in Blackpool, its coming around this year in July, to which it may be back.
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

DarkTenka
Level 10
Managed to play it today finally. Really cool man. I love the retro 3D style.

Well done.

nalex66
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Tried it last night. Jeez, the limited FOV emulation is awful! Seems about right from what I remember, though. Makes you appreciate what we have now with the Rift, despite the complaints from some people about its "crappy" FOV.