cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starship Bridge Demo - Beta

tmek
Protege
This is a VR environmental demo based on the Star Trek Voyager bridge.

Historical Documents are now available for viewing!
Version 0.2 released for testing (don't post to reddit yet please). See update info below.

Press ALT-ENTER to enter fullscreen Rift mode.

You may need to download and install the Microsoft VC++ redistributable here.

I recommend wearing headphones. There are three audio dialog cues you can find and trigger. Press 'e' to fire photon torpedoes.

Made in Unreal Engine 4. It runs at 60fps on my machine with a 760gtx in Oculus Rift mode.
Not sure how it will fare on other hardware.

If someone with a gamepad could test that it works with one I would appreciate it.

Additional screenshots

Download demo. (~114mb)

People have been having trouble getting it from Google Drive so added a Mega download as well.

Thanks!
-tmek

Update: v0.2 : The Historical Documents are now available for viewing!
Download: https://mega.co.nz/#!eUYhSCxA!DG59j7ureVbE3A-zIuCCEOMpe4Ynk6xvCg9CdYRmG6k

1.) Set Windows monitors to "extend desktop" instead of "clone".
2.) Visit Netflix.com using Google Chrome.
3.) Select and play one of the 700+ historical documents.
4.) Launch Bridge Demo v0.2
5.) Geek out.

(NOTE: Please don't post this on Reddit or anywhere else just yet, this update is just intended for testing and finding issues with the video capture and playback code.)

-
65 REPLIES 65

DeeKej
Explorer
My 780M doesn't run it too well, but it's pretty non the less. Like the "Come in" sound cue by the captains quarters. 🙂

(Edit: oh, and gamepad works fine!)

DillonRobinson
Honored Guest
Speaking of your avatar, shut up and take my money. Downloading now! I tried making this same bridge in Unity a few months ago and gave up, so this is going to be very cool.

Edit: Though...mind telling us how we actually enable Oculus Rift mode?

okay, I had to google it, turns out it's a console command (?). In Rift mode I got maybe ~30 fps...it's gonna be time for everyone to buy new video cards if UE4 becomes the new standard for Rift games and demos.
-- -- --

tmek
Protege
"DillonRobinson" wrote:
Edit: Though...mind telling us how we actually enable Oculus Rift mode?

okay, I had to google it, turns out it's a console command (?). In Rift mode I got maybe ~30 fps...it's gonna be time for everyone to buy new video cards if UE4 becomes the new standard for Rift games and demos.

You can just press ALT-ENTER to switch into fullscreen Rift mode, forgot to include that. Thanks!

Yeah this hasn't been optimized (much) there's probably a lot I can do to improve the framerate. I'll keep working on it.

DillonRobinson
Honored Guest
I love how this engine looks in the Rift - everything is a little bit more believable when there's satisfying reflections and a better lighting engine. Cool demo!
-- -- --

tmek
Protege
"DeeKej" wrote:
My 780M doesn't run it too well, but it's pretty non the less. Like the "Come in" sound cue by the captains quarters. 🙂

(Edit: oh, and gamepad works fine!)

There's a couple of minutes of dialog between the captain and Tuvok there, There's just a long pause after the "come in".

Where you able to fire photon torpedoes with the Gamepad? (I think it should be the bottom button of the four face buttons)

stevetb
Honored Guest
I'm having a few problems here with the Beta, likely just user error.

1. Downloaded this file
2. Extracted into folder (D:\ Drive, not sure if this matters)
3. Found .exe and ran
4. Error came up indicating MSVCR120.dll was missing
5. Downloaded file, extracted into C:\Windows\System32
6. Started .exe again, received new error "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application"

This is the first UT demo at this level I have used that I know of, it likely is an installed base kit I am missing.

Any ideas to fix this?

tmek
Protege
"stevetb" wrote:
I'm having a few problems here with the Beta, likely just user error.

1. Downloaded this file
2. Extracted into folder (D:\ Drive, not sure if this matters)
3. Found .exe and ran
4. Error came up indicating MSVCR120.dll was missing
5. Downloaded file, extracted into C:\Windows\System32
6. Started .exe again, received new error "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application"

This is the first UT demo at this level I have used that I know of, it likely is an installed base kit I am missing.

Any ideas to fix this?

Try downloading and installing the Microsoft VC++ redistributable

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

stevetb
Honored Guest
This worked, thank you!

I downloaded the x64 version, installed, error fixed.

Thank you for the fast response, I really appreciate it!

EDIT: WOW, this is incredible. Good work here. This is really pretty amazing stuff.

-Steve

aschampion
Honored Guest
Great work, one of the best looking experiences I've had in the rift yet. Alt+enter didn't work for me with focus on or in the window; if anyone else has the same problem it's as easy as opening up the console (tilde), and entering:

stereo on
setres 1280x720 f