cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stereoscopic Player (2D/3D image/video player)

pwimmer
Honored Guest
Hi!

I've added support for the Oculus Rift in Stereoscopic Player version 2.0.5. The current implementation allows to watch 2D and 3D images and videos on the Rift. Headtracking is not supported yet, I'll add it later when I have access to a Rift for testing. I had no chance to test this release on a real device, thus I would be happy to get some feedback, especially if you notice bugs.

To download the Stereoscopic Player, go to http://www.3dtv.at/Downloads. After the installation, run it and click View|Viewing Method|Oculus Rift. Next, load some 2D or 3D media file and click View|Full Screen Mode (Scaled). Although the player displays a distorted image in windowed mode, too, you will perceive a correct image in full screen mode only.

By default no pixels of the content are cropped. Unfortunately, this results in a large black border, especially with widescreen content. Press Ctrl+Alt+Enter to switch to the "non-fit" fullscreen mode that allows to set the zoom level with Alt+1, Alt+2, Alt+3 and so on.

Stereoscopic content is typically recorded with camera toe-in or the parallax is corrected in post. On the Rift such content would result in diverging eye axis and cause eyestrain. Consequently, the player compensates 2% positive parallax which is fine for most content. If your content exceeds 2% positive parallax you can use the left/right arrow keys to adjust the parallax.
64 REPLIES 64

IM0001
Protege
This works really well, 2D video content works great with it so far.

Could you fill in what the limitations are while it is in "Unlicenced Mode"? -Edit, NM found it. 5Minute Duration limit.
i7 3930K @ 4.4Ghz | Mushkin 32GB PC2133 | SLI GTX 780s | Asus P9X79 Deluxe | Logitech G19 + G700s + G940 + G25 + Saitek X52 | Oculus DK2 + Asus VG278H @ 120 Hz + 1440P Korean Special @ 90Hz| Creative X-Fi Titanium + Klipsch ProMedia 4.1| Windows 10 Pro

pwimmer
Honored Guest
Thanks for your feedback!

"IM0001" wrote:
Could you fill in what the limitations are while it is in "Unlicenced Mode"?

In unregistered mode (no product key entered) the player closes the file after five minutes. But you can reopen it again. Otherwise the demo version is fully functional.

IM0001
Protege
Ever consider a discout for early RIFT Developers/Adopters 😉 Also Steam Greanlight would also be your friend since you support pretty much all 3D content.

Headtracking would be very nice once it is added since it appears, after watching a few 1080P videos, that it is like sitting about 3ft from my 50" plasma on the current Rift. The center is nice and clear, the edges are a bit blurry, and the corners are ever so slightly cut off. With a little head tracking, being able to look around the scene a bit would be pretty cool and cinema like.
i7 3930K @ 4.4Ghz | Mushkin 32GB PC2133 | SLI GTX 780s | Asus P9X79 Deluxe | Logitech G19 + G700s + G940 + G25 + Saitek X52 | Oculus DK2 + Asus VG278H @ 120 Hz + 1440P Korean Special @ 90Hz| Creative X-Fi Titanium + Klipsch ProMedia 4.1| Windows 10 Pro

cybereality
Grand Champion
Awesome work, Peter!!! It looks great.

Head-tracking would really take it to the next level, but even now I can imagine watching a movie on it. Nice.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

rickardo69
Honored Guest
looking forward to trying this when kit arrives
Thanks for sharing it with us

Baconriffic
Explorer
Awesome video player, I was thinking about doing this but you beat me to the punch. Can't wait for head tracking.

MrGeddings
Explorer
def will have to try it out! tempting to get a 3d camera now while i wait hehe.

oh suggestion. You might want to have an option to disable head tracking if you are viewing 3d videos/images as i imagine that wont work as well 😛 for now not having headtracking im sure isnt a big issue 😉 Good stuffs!

Jerware
Explorer
This is great, Peter! I'm already a registered user of your player, too -- a must for anyone with a 3DTV connected to a computer, or even a 3D monitor.

I preferred ALT-2 size after hitting Ctrl+Alt+Enter. As you can imagine, the low resolution at that point hurts pretty bad compared to what you're probably used to. Of course, it's a temporary issue since resolution will only get better with each hardware generation, and it's good to establish your player early.

Congratulations!

sayitaintjonas
Honored Guest
I didn't have as much luck with 2D content, but the 3D videos I downloaded from 3dtv.at looked great. I also preferred the ALT-2 setting.