cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Adventure of Rotten Herman [WIP]

standtall007
Protege
Hi i am back from a Little R&R... i haven't cancelled the game even though i wrote that originally, but that is not important now 🙂

The Adventure of Rotten Herman has been optimized for the Oculus Rift even though the game is still very much Early in progression!

I have made it so the game is (side by side with the Rift) optimized for the Xbox 360 controller, but if you have a PS4 controller that is definitely recommended to use instead, and that can be done by downloading a program called DS4Tool.

I hope you'll enjoy the concept demo for now and if you have any suggestions / feedback of any kind please provide them in here 🙂

Thanks for trying out Taorh!

http://www.taorh.dk/concept/Taorh.rar

I will also upload some screens asap!
Cheers,
Standtall007.

PS. here are the controls:

=================
Keyboard / Mouse:
=================

WASD / Arrows = Moves the character! A & D / Left arrow & Right arrow makes the character strafe left and right!

3 (NOT numeric 3!!!) = Enables the Rift functions in the main menu, otherwise does nothing!

P = Starts the game in the main menu! in-game it pauses the game!

X = Opens treasure chests in-game!

Space = Makes the character jump! in this concept demo you already have unlocked the triple jump! Just press Space three times!

Escape = Quits the game immediatly!

=============================================
Xbox360 Controller / PS4 Controller using DS4Tool:
=============================================

Left Analogue Stick = Moves the character! Moving left or right makes the character strafe in that direction!

Right Analogue Stick = Left and Right makes the character turn in that direction! otherwise does nothing!

A (X on the PS4 controller) = Makes the character jump! Triple jump is again still enabled! Also it confirms your in-game pause actions!

X (Square on the PS4 controller) = Opens the treasure chests! Also it confirms your in-game pause actions!

Y (Triangle on the PS4 controller) = Enables Rift mode in the main menu! otherwise cancels your in-game pause action!

B (Circle on the PS4 controller) = Cancels your in-game pause actions!

Start (Options on the PS4 controller) = Pauses the game, press it again to return to game!

Back (Share on the PS4 controller) = Quits the game immediatly!

As you can see the game has been optimized for controller support and that is why i recommend using a controller!
Other controllers are NOT officially supported, but if you can make them work just the same then that is good enough!

Here is the promised screenshots 🙂

ASUS Maximus VII Formula Intel core i7 quad core 4790K OC'ed @ 4.4Ghz 32GB DDR3 Ram Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 4GB Windows 10 Pro 64bit GSync Monitor @ 2560x1440, 144Hz ------------------------------------------- DK2 Owner CV1 Preordered.
26 REPLIES 26

standtall007
Protege
Hi FictionX, thanks for your reply and i must admit that i don't have Linux myself so it was honestly just a blind shot 🙂 But thanks for your feedback it is very important to me 🙂 Cheers
ASUS Maximus VII Formula Intel core i7 quad core 4790K OC'ed @ 4.4Ghz 32GB DDR3 Ram Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 4GB Windows 10 Pro 64bit GSync Monitor @ 2560x1440, 144Hz ------------------------------------------- DK2 Owner CV1 Preordered.

standtall007
Protege
To all: i have now reimplemented keyboard functions because i thought it might be kind of mean or cruel for those not having an Xbox360 controller for Windows that they cannot play... but now they / you can 😄 Cheers.

MajortomVR
Honored Guest
Hey gave it another try!

• It's much better now that you turned the turning speed down. But it wasn't really easy to jump controlled. It would be better if the player character would always go where the player looks. If the player walks forward/backward set the player character in the same direction as the look direction. You can try Janus VR, they got the same controls, and they work great.

• I liked the music, it fitted the environment very well.

• I noticed that you pushed the ingame hud a bit down. Now i can read the star count, even if it still could be pushed a little bit down. But i can't see the Heartcount, it should be pushed more to the middle.

• I looked at the selection issue. The selected item is the dark one in your case. The selection should be highlighted, as it's more intuitive.

• As you asked me for the character clipping issues, i made a screenshot. The camera is sitting inside the model. The virtual eyeballs should sit in front like in reality. You can also shrink the head or remove it even.

PS: Love those little guys 🙂

standtall007
Protege
Thank you very much for your feedback majortomVR, i noticed you mentioned the forward / backward movement... well i have to do it this way right now because of the original scripts, i will dig into it at a later point but for now i let it be like this. Thank you for complimenting the music 😉 regarding the heart container, yeah i feared that it would still be un-watchable so i will definitely move it more towards the center of the screens 😉 and for the selection issue, that will be looked into as well 😉 Again, thank you very much for trying out the game 😄 i really appreciate your feedback!

P.S: i will also try and fix the clipping issue once again 😉

Cheers.

MajortomVR
Honored Guest
It will be much easier to understand when you finally try it in the DK2! 😉

Great effort so far!

standtall007
Protege
Thanks major tom, i have updated the GUI and i have moved the cameras closer to the "eyeballs" so i hope this was what you were asking for 🙂 please try it out again if you feel like it and thank you so much for your feedback 😉 Cheers.

standtall007
Protege
*Minor Update* I have just made a Credits scene where you can now see who has been helping me with either sounds, music, models or scripting 🙂 Thank you all for trying out my game it's really important to me 🙂 Cheers.

P.S In the Credits scene if you don't want to view the entire credits you can just press the Backspace button on the keyboard or press B on the Xbox360 Controller 😉

standtall007
Protege
Allright i have some good news (i hope!) i have managed to create the mouse effect for when you turn with the mouse then the character turn and that also means that the player walks in the direction the cameras are facing! now i just need to wait for my DK2 to arrive before i can do anything further with this if there is more to it 🙂 Thank you very much majortomVR for your feedback 😉 it's much appreciated!!! I don't mind a little criticism so i'm saying to you now: Thank you for being honest! That is more important to me than being an a** kisser! Honesty is very important in my life 😉 i am looking forward to be trying out my DK2 when it will finally arrive 😉 (P.S i am NOT complaining :)) And i probably won't release any newer demos just yet i really want to try the camera out before i send another demo out 😉 Thanks for your understanding 🙂

Cheers.

MajortomVR
Honored Guest
The selection is now working wonderful!

You made a good decision in waiting for your DK2. I like your demo, it just needs a bit of polish on the controls side. It will be much easier to develop, test, and understand, what works and not, in and for VR, when you've tried it for yourself.

Let's hope our DK2's come sooner than later 😄

standtall007
Protege
MajortomVR, yeah let's hope that 😉 And thanks for the comments 😉 Cheers.