cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VR Drum Kit - Worth expanding on?

FocusVRGames
Adventurer
Not sure if this idea is worth expanding on. This is also the limit of my drumming abilities 🙂 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ErlpEL8NEU

6 REPLIES 6

FocusVRGames
Adventurer

Bloodlet
Rising Star
I'm going to be brutaly honest @MickyX  .
It's a nice idea and I'm sure it's fun to goof around with, but no good for actually drumming.

I am a drummer..or more accurately..was a drummer. So I'll give you my views and reasons agianst this, that I got from the video.

Firstly, you need foot pedals for the kick drums and hi-hat cymbals. Trying to play a bass kick drum with sticks is no good for even the most basic of beats. I see in the pic of your daughter you have a set of Logitech racing pedals. If you could impliment these as inputs it would help.

Secondly and I'm afraid most importantly. You need physical feed back from drum heads to sticks. This just isn't going to happen in VR. The reason this is so important is drummers use the contact and bounce between stick and drum heads to control both volume, snap and speed of return of the note.

The controlled bounce of the stick on the head is how we get the speed, movement and even full body rythmn. To get just a simple snare drum roll you need to be controlling the bounce on a physical drum head.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blzNTKlegJA

I'm sure this is great fun for the kids but drumming is more than just making different noises 😕

Edit: However using something like this in combination with a practice pad set up would be pretty cool 🙂

Mwilliams78
Expert Protege
I think Its worth it. You could turn this into a fun rhythm game. Map the drums to actual songs have each drum lightup when when it plays in the song. Add some multiplier bonuses maybe a crowd that reacts to you. I loved playing the wii drums back in the day. This would take it to the next lvl.

FocusVRGames
Adventurer
@Bloodlet Thank you for the detailed response. I agree making this a true replica of playing the drums would never be the same. I have only spent around 3 hours on this, so there are improvements I could make to the interaction. I.E pressing a button to do bass and integrating the foot pedals is a neat idea for those that have them. I wonder if I could recreate the speed effect by holding the trigger or something. But full blown playing drums as you pointed out will be really complex 

@Mwilliams78 I was thinking around that, simplify the drum set and introduce some rhythm type game. Not sure where I would get the music from as I imagine copy write wise, it's a mine field!

Not sure if this is where I want to focus too much of my attention. I have a million ideas, trying to get a fix on the next one.

PhilSurtees
Protege
Take a look at Soundstage on Steam. Drumkit, synths and more.

FocusVRGames
Adventurer
Thanks for the headsup 🙂