cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

guygodin
Protege
Virtual Desktop is a little utility that improves your VR experience on the desktop. By efficiently replicating your desktop into the Rift, the application allows you to see your desktop on a giant virtual screen. You can browse the web, watch movies or even play non-VR games. It also allows you to launch VR games and resume from them without having to take your headset off.

After you launch Virtual Desktop, a tray icon will appear in your taskbar. From there you can manage your list of games, change your settings.

You can also drag & drop executables or shortcuts to add more games to your list.

Requirements
- Windows 8 or 10
- Oculus 1.3 Runtime

Latest Changes
- Added ability to browse 360 photos
- Added mirror to monitor feature

Follow the link below to access the store page
Official website
Virtual Desktop Developer
1,844 REPLIES 1,844

wrlab
Honored Guest
"edenroz" wrote:
"fletcherkildren" wrote:
All I see is my wallpaper. I have my DK2 set as second monitor and my 27" Asus as my primary.

Same issue here.

Same issue. Anybody care to comment? I am running win8.1 and an nvidia gtx770. Virtual desktop seems to absorb all my windows - even though i can see they are active in the taskbar, the only thing that shows up is my desktop.

guygodin
Protege
"wrlab" wrote:
"edenroz" wrote:
"fletcherkildren" wrote:
All I see is my wallpaper. I have my DK2 set as second monitor and my 27" Asus as my primary.

Same issue here.

Same issue. Anybody care to comment? I am running win8.1 and an nvidia gtx770. Virtual desktop seems to absorb all my windows - even though i can see they are active in the taskbar, the only thing that shows up is my desktop.

You see your wallpaper as if Virtual Desktop was not running (non-stereoscopic) or you see the wallpaper in space? I don't understand the issue you are having...

AnotherAtreyu
Protege
Very cool update. The ability to enable/disable the extra monitor would be very useful in this case.
I still have the problem with windows peek on the taskbar. Is this something that could be fixed easily, or are we not likely to see it in the near future?

Keep up the good work!
“If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.” (~I really gotta remember this shiz~) ― Yogi Bhajan

guygodin
Protege
Thanks for the feedback guys. I will add an option to toggle multi-monitor on or off. Don't think fixing taskbar peeking will be possible but I'll look into it.

CogitoSum
Honored Guest
"guygodin" wrote:
From the FAQ on the website:
I can see the nebula background but my desktop appears as a black screen on Windows 8.x
• This can happen if you have multiple GPUs or using an Optimus configuration. Try disabling Optimus in the BIOS or make sure the rift is plugged into the same adapter as your monitor.

Any potential for this to be fixed in the future? Unfortunately I don't have the ability to disable Optimus on my laptop.

guygodin
Protege
"CogitoSum" wrote:
Any potential for this to be fixed in the future? Unfortunately I don't have the ability to disable Optimus on my laptop.

Yes, there's this Shared Resource feature that allows me to share textures across multiple GPUs, just haven't been able to get it to work yet. In the meantime, you can run Virtual Desktop on your intel GPU by using the context menu option.

wrlab
Honored Guest
"guygodin" wrote:
You see your wallpaper as if Virtual Desktop was not running (non-stereoscopic) or you see the wallpaper in space? I don't understand the issue you are having...

I see my desktop floating in space, head tracking working. but regardless of what programs are open, i can only see my desktop background. i can click icons on the taskbar, i can alt-tab.... but no windows show up on either my primary monitor or the rift. as soon as i close virtual desktop they reappear.

if this sounds crazy, i'll try to record a video.

guygodin
Protege
"wrlab" wrote:
I see my desktop floating in space, head tracking working. but regardless of what programs are open, i can only see my desktop background. i can click icons on the taskbar, i can alt-tab.... but no windows show up on either my primary monitor or the rift. as soon as i close virtual desktop they reappear.

if this sounds crazy, i'll try to record a video.

It sounds like your Rift is setup as the main display in Windows.

Philpax
Explorer
Fantastic work here; this is one of my favorite applications to use for the Rift. I noticed that having a second monitor on an integrated graphics card (and also possibly another graphics card at all; I haven't had the ability to check) results in nothing but a trail of mouse cursors being drawn. When I disable the second monitor, my primary monitor shows up fine.

I suspect this is not fixable, but I figured it was worth reporting anyway. My use-case is a little uncommon - using integrated graphics to run multiple monitors seeing as my Rift takes up the second port on my GPU - but it's likely the number of people with similar configurations will go up with time.

guygodin
Protege
"Philpax" wrote:
Fantastic work here; this is one of my favorite applications to use for the Rift. I noticed that having a second monitor on an integrated graphics card (and also possibly another graphics card at all; I haven't had the ability to check) results in nothing but a trail of mouse cursors being drawn. When I disable the second monitor, my primary monitor shows up fine.

I suspect this is not fixable, but I figured it was worth reporting anyway. My use-case is a little uncommon - using integrated graphics to run multiple monitors seeing as my Rift takes up the second port on my GPU - but it's likely the number of people with similar configurations will go up with time.

Thanks Phil, I am aware of this limitation and I am working on a way to make this work. Multi-GPU and Optimus configurations are a bit tricky to deal with but not an impossible problem to solve.

Cheers!