cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We've just made an artifical locomtion / anti-motion sickness test, poll to find the best method

Decagon
Explorer
We've just released an artifical locomtion experiment with various anti-motion sickness features. Please do try it out and let us know which method works best for you, thanks!

Download and information - http://game-float.com/vr/blacklodge/

5 REPLIES 5

Saerain
Explorer
I found the feeling of sim sickness almost undetectable to start with, maybe because motion is so slow.

Anyway, I voted "limit FOV when moving" because I did feel the discomfort vanish there, for translation. But it didn't seem to make a difference for rotation. I think limiting FOV + snap rotation would be ideal, in my case.

Showing the grid while moving, strangely enough, seemed to exacerbate the sim sickness. Not sure if that might have to do with the very small grid I had, about 3x4.

EDIT: Oh, I wanted to mention one of the locomotive options in Technolust that struck me perfectly as well. Much like snap-rotation, one of its modes is a sort of snap-stepping, whereby each flick of the left stick stakes an instantaneous step accompanied by a footstep sound. I expected it to break presence, but surprisingly not at all.

Calibos
Heroic Explorer
I always worried about VR sickness including FPS VR sickness before I got my Rift setup last week. I get bad sea sickness. I get very motion sick on fairground rides and avoid them as a result. I even had to lie down for the rest of the day after spinning on a new office chair a few times a few years ago. ie. like how some people describe the VR sickness making them feel ill for the rest of the day. (I drive and don't get car sick even reading while a passenger however)

I felt there was a good chance I'd find I'd need to sell my Rift soon after losing my VRginity but prayed that I wouldn't need to. I wasn't holding out much hope though.

When I finally got my Rift setup I was thrilled to discover that I was only getting rare mild vestibular twinges in Luckey's Tale or when in the process of doing some barrel rolls in Eve:V or ED or taking tight bends in Project Cars. The twinge would only last for the duration of the roll/bend and it never acculmulated and self reinforced into a lasting VR sickness or anything like that. 

I experienced some mild vestibular twinges in experiences with some FPS type movement but again they were only for the duration of the right stick turns. Non at all in forward/back or Strafe type movements and again they didn't accumulate and reinforce into any lasting VR sickness. They merely lasted the length of the movement. These experiences I tried had faster movement than this Test Demo however.

With regard to this specific test.

No Vestibular twinges at all ironically in the straight FPS movement mode. Even while right stick turning. I feel it was the slow speed of movement and rotation. I felt mild vestibular twinges in all the 'comfort' modes. ie. grid while moving, FOV limter and snap turn. So I went back to straight FPS mode and this time I did get a few twinges when right stick turning until I realised what was suddenly causing them. I was paying more attention to the real world in the nose gap. When right stick turning but seeing the real floor through the nose gap it felt/looked like the real world was rotating and not my ingame view. Once I kept my eyes looking towards the middle or top of the lenses and did not focus on the nose gap, then I was able to right stick turn again without feeling any vestibular twinge.

I'm either developing VR legs very quickly or was lucky to never get it bad in the first place.

Scratch that. I obviously wasn't trying FPS experiences with fast enough movement to trigger major VR sickness. Just tried the old Tuscany demo, Sun Temple and handgliding demo's that I found links to. It wasn't long before I could feel the hot sweaty sicky clamminess coming on. 

I think that reaffirms that with regard to the test, the thing that worked the best for me was simply limiting the movements to more realistic speeds.

Zandil
Rising Star
Can't test atm due to Rift is MIA at Oculus, But I have always felt that turning with a stick is too sterile and needs some form of up and down or a type of head bob to make it feel more real.  or when you move the stick have it start slightly slow then faster to give it a more real head turning feel.  Only way i can describe it is it's to sterile when turning with a stick.

sigh23
Honored Guest
I found out that my VR sickness is always induced by the controller rotation. Snap rotation feels just terrible and instantly causes locomotion. The usual smooth first person rotation with a stick is unpleasant and unnatural, but playable.

Oddly enough, the best mode for me is a classic mouse control with independent head tracking. Played Alien:Isolation, Quake2VR and a lot of demos that supported it for hours, without getting any sickness.

juup87
Protege
Can't help you for this. I haven't never experienced motion sickness. I used to play HL2 and Team fortress in DK1 many hour but never feeling anything like motion sickness. But i hope that you find to way to lower sickness to some people who experienced that so we can get better games whitout stupid teleportation.