cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

World of Warcraft VR Mod (Cancelled)

Marulu
Adventurer
Hey guys, I was bored and started working on making World Of Warcraft compatible with the Oculus Rift.
Here is how far I have come over the last few hours:

You might think the IPD/FOV in these WoW videos are wrong, but that is not the case.
It looks wrong because I am playing a gnome, meaning my character is tiny and my mounts are gigantic. Please keep that in your mind while watching these videos on the Rift.

I have been testing various control schemes for WoW so you can play it without looking at the keyboard, I for example made a pretty good Xbox 360 Pad profile. I still have to implement head tracking, shrink the menus down to be readable on the Rift, and create a UI fit for VR.

I definitely could use some help with implement head tracking, and shrinking the menus down to be readable on the Rift.I would like to do the two task above using World Of Warcraft addons, but if you find an easier/better way please for all means use it.

Sooooo...... anyone interested in helping me out with this?
I of course am going to credit you guys if you help me in any way shape or form.

-Marulu
77 REPLIES 77

Marulu
Adventurer

Here is a new video showing the progress we made on our World of Warcraft VR mod. The video shows our new launcher and improved head tracking. We now also support head tracking in menus and loading screens. The aspect ratio of the video has been changed during the uploading progress, so it will not converge properly.

Marulu
Adventurer

Here is another video of our WoW VR mod, showing the head tracking in cinematics and cutscenes.
The uploading progress has changed the aspect ratio, so it does not converge properly.

nathanchase
Explorer
Are you close to a release on this? Even if it's just a WIP, it would be worth user-testing to receive additional feedback for future improvements. I'd be very interested to try it with a new character and solo in a starting area.

😄

Marulu
Adventurer
I have estimated some release dates before and I was wrong every time...
I think I will go with the Duke Nukem Forever approach, it will be done when it is done.

Khechari
Explorer
I just noticed your recent activity on Youtube. Thanks for the uploads!

A couple questions-

I noticed that you are running Wrath of the Lich King. Should I assume that this mod doesn't include Cataclysm and beyond? (if so, I actually approve, lol)

Also, it appears your running on a private server. Even if you could run the latest versions of WoW with this mod, could you without being flagged by Blizzard as hacking?

Marulu
Adventurer
"Khechari" wrote:
I just noticed your recent activity on Youtube. Thanks for the uploads!

A couple questions-

I noticed that you are running Wrath of the Lich King. Should I assume that this mod doesn't include Cataclysm and beyond? (if so, I actually approve, lol)

Also, it appears your running on a private server. Even if you could run the latest versions of WoW with this mod, could you without being flagged by Blizzard as hacking?

1. Yes, this mod does only support patch 3.3.5, which is the last patch of Wrath of the Lich King.

2. Yes, I am using a private server to play the mod. You are unable to use the mod with other versions of WoW because some core features of it are dependent on reading memory addresses. (Which change with every update.) Even if it would be compatible with live servers, it still would not be a good idea to use it on those, because we are hacking WoW in so many different ways, you would instantly get banned.

sabre8465
Honored Guest
If I may ask, what's your reasoning for not releasing any of the beta builds? I don't think anyone would mind a buggy version. It doesn't need to be a perfect experience, and shouldn't try to be one, before letting people get their hands on it.

I've been following this project for a while, and the videos of it show how much improvement it's been making, but I'm just a little confused. Unlike Duke Nukem Forever, I'm assuming you're not trying to make a profit off a full release, it's not being published and released in stores (so it doesn't need to be version 1.0), there isn't any reputation risk on the line, and it seems to be against the extremely open environment of the Oculus community.

Sorry for the negativity. Again, the mod looks great, and the only reason I'm expressing these thoughts is because of the long-term excitement I've felt for this project.

Marulu
Adventurer
We are aiming to release a alpha build soon, but there still are some things that we have to work on internally to get it to a playable state. While we do not aim to release a perfect build right away, we want to release something that you can play for longer than five minutes. There are only two people (including me) working on this project, and due to an illness the time one of us can spend working on the project is limited. Please understand, we also want to release a build as soon as possible, but it just is not yet ready.

Marulu
Adventurer
We made some changes to the login and to the character creation screen to improve readability.
You can take a look at a image showing the difference below.

http://mushroomtomatoes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Untitled-2.png

Marulu
Adventurer
We have further reduced the latency and we have improved the headtracking some more.
The head tracking now features realistic pitch and jaw movements.