cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1.9.0 update did something wrong with my sensor

NZaden
Protege
Just to point out, everything was working fine before the update.

But after the update, Oculus Home detects my sensor as a new sensor all the time. The software asks me to configure it as the first time, and when I do it, it asks me again... it keeps detecting the same sensor as a new sensor, over and over.

But sometimes it just says "sensor not found" until I swap the USB port. But then, all the entire loop starts again (detecting new sensor).

The thing is that the hardware is working fine, even when Oculus Home does not detect it on the "Devices" tab.

May someone please help me with this? Everything was perfect before the update.

25 REPLIES 25

vrmower
Heroic Explorer
Surprise!!  Another unannounced update with no choice or back-out breaking previously working systems.  No doubt more cowboy coding going on this very second to rush a fix for whatever they broke this time and get it out before more people start bitching.

There is a reason best practices exist and a reason why customers unnecessarily suffer when you fail to follow them.

DarkTenka
Trustee
I've just stopped updating. I recommend others do the same. You can still run everything on the Oculus store without updating (you just have to navigate to the location on your HDD and run the executable). Otherwise just play steam games.

I'm still on 1.6 .. and everything still bloody works. This backwards thinking of forcing updates on the user is just bloody stupid.

ColinB
Adventurer
They write some code. Delete some code. Don't really bother testing it.
Customers will do that for them. FREE !
Maybe it will work, maybe it won't.
The outcomes of theses "updates" will be seen and then hopefully rectified.
It still is a Developers kit. You must remember that.
It helps with the heart ache and tears.

NZaden
Protege
Thank you for the answers. I am glad to know the issue is being worked on, so I will wait a little bit longer before reinstalling all the Oculus home software.

whitav8
Protege
How do you disable updating the runtimes (I know how to disable app updates)

GoldenRetroGames
Heroic Explorer
Oculus really needs to implement a beta program, like Valve has for SteamVR.  Provide regular updates and let people who want to test the latest and greatest opt in. They can release regular updates (SteamVR Beta can update multiple times a week), which allows them to field test their changes before pushing out release builds to everyone.

kojack
MVP
MVP

goldenegg said:

Oculus really needs to implement a beta program, like Valve has for SteamVR.  Provide regular updates and let people who want to test the latest and greatest opt in. They can release regular updates (SteamVR Beta can update multiple times a week), which allows them to field test their changes before pushing out release builds to everyone.

They did have this (it was an invite only group of devs), but stopped using it after runtime 0.8 a year ago.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Alec_Turner
Protege
Wow this forum is salty!

Thanks for investigating this so promptly @cybereality!

o7
<<<<< Elite: Dangerous >>>>>

Master | Entrepreneur | Pioneer | Buckyballer | Fuel Rat

stevesideas
Explorer
Has the update been withdrawn. I'm still on 1.8 with no 1.9 available ?

ColinB
Adventurer

kojack said:

goldenegg said:

They did have this (it was an invite only group of devs), but stopped using it after runtime 0.8 a year ago.

And now they have their poor/unpaid customers to do the same thing. Too bad if they don't want to!
The theory being:
It's better for Oculus to have these updates tested by those who have innocently purchased the Rift.
You know the ones. They bought the CV1 believing it was "plug and play. An actual "consumer version"

No research teams to pay. No dev's to pander to. No outlays much at all. And proper faults showing up.
The type of faults that Devs and Techs might overlook.
So it's a two edged sword. Think yourself lucky you are part of it ???
Hmmm.