cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMD Radeon rx 480 driver updates not detected - oculus home says I still need to update

Anonymous
Not applicable
I got on Oculus Home, and it said "Please upgrade to driver v17.11.2". I upgraded my AMD radeon drivers to the latest version, which was version 18.something. I restarted Oculus, and I got the same message again. Then, I tried to download that specific update, but it won't work on my computer, according to the error message the installer gives me.
13 REPLIES 13

holdenzholley
Explorer
Same here dude. I built a VR rig for research, well above minimum spec, but decided to use the AMD Radeon RX 480 due to its power and price point. It meets specs. I use Windows 8.1, because I have 10 on my laptop and am not a fan. Regardless, my Oculus Rift CV1 will not work now because it thinks my driver is not up to date. AMD says otherwise. There IS a new driver out for the Windows 10 equivalent, but i DON'T have Windows 10 on the desktop. It has been well over a month. Oculus, please fix your software. As nicely as I can say it, you are losing countless followers daily because you force this app to dictate what a user can do, and most people who get VR are decently tech savvy, so restricting us to us to not run a piece of hardware AT ALL because your software cannot detect a graphics card driver after an update is a poor decision and a waste of both your time and ours. I have heard it requires a driver check to run in multiple forums, but I don't at all get why you think that's a good idea. It's not, its been said in many places by many people, most of which have changed hardware to an HTC Vive by now due to lack of support. I wish Oculus could tackle problems like this and at least respond to its community, but as it stands, I cannot use my Rift, and refuse to accept an answer of "buy a better graphics card". That's a cop out, since it's worked fine for a year and a few months and now, all of a sudden, a software update renders it completely unusable. Please respond and at least say you are working on it, if not fixed the issue. We are tired of watching a pile of cords and controllers instead of enjoying VR like we paid for. Hope to hear from you soon.  

holdenzholley
Explorer

I got on Oculus Home, and it said "Please upgrade to driver v17.11.2". I upgraded my AMD radeon drivers to the latest version, which was version 18.something. I restarted Oculus, and I got the same message again. Then, I tried to download that specific update, but it won't work on my computer, according to the error message the installer gives me.

Did you ever find a fix, or are you staring at a pile of cables like me still?

cybereality
Grand Champion
Try using DDU safe mode uninstall and then installing latest graphics drivers fresh. That can help.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

e23502523dfa
Honored Guest
Thats really bad. I am having the same problems here. They just cant dictate an windows 10 upgrade since we bought the system and the games as advertised with older windows versions compatibility. If there wont be a fix they will get the rift back and I will get all my money back.

If any of you get a fix please comment again.

iamflymolo
Honored Guest
Please fix this. I know you aren't supporting windows 8.1 right now but at the moment I am stuck with it. Since the Rift still works with windows 8.1 just fine there is no reason the software should be looking only for a driver that we cannot install.

e23502523dfa
Honored Guest
Is this all for windows 8 or is anyone having trouble with windows 7 ?

Koiotic
Honored Guest
Using Bootcamp OS - Windows 10 - and have the Radeon Pro 570 - went thru all the 'regular' channels - uninstalled AMD reinstalled - but could not update my driver because I'm using Bootcamp and it is not supported - finally found in small print - to contact the manufacturer.... 

I have contacted Oculus - and was told to try and repair Oculus - uninstall and reinstall - which I have done now - however, I am unable to install the 'newest' update - so I'm not sure why they would even have suggested the repairing - etc. after reading thru the forums - apparently, you MUST have the bleeping update to even use Oculus now? WTH - we have been using it for over a year w/no problems - so I'm like others - w/a pile of cords and a ton of money in games that we are unable to use...

Why would they make it impossible to use w/out the update? Even the games that are old and have not had any updates are no longer available w/out the update? Makes no sense at all....I realize I have Bootcamp OS, but we were told when we purchased our MAC by an Oculus sales rep that it would work  - and I was able to get it to work fine  - it has been working just fine now for a year or we would not have purchased it - or the MAC for that matter - I will be contacting the manufacturer of the GPU - not exactly sure who that is - and I'm guessing they don't have the update avail yet - maybe after a few more weeks - but until then I'm still baffled at this situation....

holdenzholley
Explorer

Try using DDU safe mode uninstall and then installing latest graphics drivers fresh. That can help.

Cyber, thanks for the reply. I had indeed tried this, but to no avail. I saw it worked for people on the forums, but I got nowhere with it. However, I have an update: I was able to get a legitimate Windows 10 upgrade to my previous 8.1, but same issues still occur. Will that help my situation any? I'm going to attempt to reinstall fresh the amd driver via ddu, and then reinstall oculus app, and see. Will update soon.

cybereality
Grand Champion
It should work if you're on the latest graphics driver. If not, then there must be something else wrong.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV