cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G11CD oculus ready PC oculus software causes PC to black screen reboot

a247slacker
Explorer
every time I launch the oculus home software after the PC has been off it black screen crashes my windows 10 home 64 bit PC. I have done a factory reset on this ASUS G11CD pc so using the method built into windows 10 where it removes everything all drivers and software that were pre installed. So it is a clean install of windows 10 then only install the oculus software run setup and play the first contact game all works perfect. I then shut down the pc and then turn it back on and for sure the first time launching the oculus software crash every time. after the pc reboots it self I can then launch the oculus software and it works fine. any thoughts as to why this is happening on boot up from being off? support has no idea so far I have a ticket open with them. This was happening with the pc with all the most current drivers from ASUS and form Nivida GTX 970 card installed as well that is why I went with the factory reset and no drivers other that what is built into windows 10 still same issue im at a loss. It was not happening when I first got this PC. any help would be great. thank you.
4 REPLIES 4

a247slacker
Explorer
found out more info, if I have both sensors unplugged and the head set and boot up, now the software loads with out crashing but when i plug in the headset HDMI first and them USB it said the HDMI was not plugged in and so I un plugged and re plugged and then the computer black screened and rebooted. 

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
Your second post strongly suggests that you've exceeded the maximum cumulative power output of the USB's on the rear panel of your computer (I'm assuming everything is plugged in back there). Try moving the sensors and anything else you can to the front panel (mouse, keyboard, headphones and so on). If you have an externally powered USB hub sitting around, that's even better.

Edit: this is not the only possible problem, it's just the easiest to check and solve. If it does not help, then try blocking oculus home from starting when putting the headset on. Does that make a difference? See the top post in this thread for how to block oculus home from auto-starting: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/53317/how-to-prevent-home-from-starting-when-playing-steam-games

a247slacker
Explorer
thanks I will give this a try. now when I plugged in the head set I still had the 2 sensors not plugged in I normally plug these into the front of the computer and only the head set into the rear of the computer, on the front the sensors are both plugged into the USB 2.0 no issues with tracking so im not using the 3.1 USB on the back of the computer even though it has them. the Mouse and Keyboard are plugged into the 2 USB on the back of the computer they are located in a different spot compared to the 2 USB 3.0 and the 2 USB 3.1 that all have the oculus logo on them. the 4 front USB ports are 2 USB 2.0 and 2 USB 3.0 have no oculus logos on them at all but like i said the sensors always work plugged into the 2.0 so i have not messed with it other then unplugging them to try and figure out this weird crashing. its weird also that the crash does not happen after I open oculus home after the computer has black screened and rebooted only after powering it on from off. and now I found that it happens if I plug in the head set only after the computer has been booted up from off with no oculus hard ware plugged in and then only when plugging in the head set. the other weird part is this did not happen when I first got this system it only started a few weeks ago. i still think it is something in one of the oculus home updates. 

a247slacker
Explorer
ok so here is the solution, I went and bought a ASUS 1060 6GB card and the 4 port USB PCI E card that oculus links to from their support site. mind you I already have the ASUS G11CD oculus bundle PC with the oculus logo on it. The upgrades made no difference still get crash of oculus home every launch after a fresh boot of the PC. but this allow me to figure out that it was the newest and the last several new versions of the Nivida drivers that are causing this crash (for me at least) if I go back to drives from late 2016 from Nivida no issue with crashing with either the newer 1060 card or with my original GTX 970 card, so I'm returning the 1060 card today no need for a 300$ upgrade. I have no crashing and my system runs all the current games on both steam and oculus home with out issues, it is amazing to me that just one driver could case all these issues, but I knew something was wrong as my system was fine when I first got it back at Xmas time no crashing. was not till the newer drivers were released. so I bet if I can figure out what drivers were on here around Xmas or January time frame I should be fine mas well. but for now even the 2016 nivida drivers are working. hope this helps others that might have the same issue. Oh also I removed the USB card as well and went back to using my built in 3.1 and 3.0 ports these are working just fine no tracking issue etc. so that card is going back as well.