cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air Link Not Working

vigolese
Honored Guest

I've tried for months now but it won't work, when I connect my oculus quest 2 to my VR ready laptop It doesn't transport me to the rift hub/oculus pc hub it opens an app in my oculus but it just shows me a black screen. Any help would be appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7

When you say you have a VR-Ready laptop, what are its specs?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@vigolese  You should contact oculus support and start a ticket.  You will be instructed to include your log files so they can help identify the issues causing your problems.  If this has gone on for 2 months I think you should have done this 2 months ago.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Hello @vigolese. Thanks for contacting us. We understand that your having a difficult time using Air link. We'd love to assist  you with this. We're going to ask you a few questions to get a better understanding of what's going on: 

• Does your laptop meet the minimum requirements?
  • Is your internet connation a minimum of 72Hz and up to 120Hz?
  • Have you tried re-pairing air link?
  • Has it worked before?
  • Is there any error messages and if so can you please send us screen shots of it?

Please reach out at your earliest convenience. We look forward to hearing from you.  

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

@MetaQuestSupport wrote:

Hello TomCgcmfc. Thanks for contacting us. We understand that your having a difficult time using Air link. We'd love to assist  you with this. We're going to ask you a few questions to get a better understanding of what's going on: 

• Does your laptop meet the minimum requirements
  • Is your internet connation a minimum of 72Hz and up to 120Hz? 
  • Have you tried re-pairing air link? 
  • Has it worked before? 
  • Is there any error messages and if so can you please send us screen shots of it?

Please reach out at your earliest convenience. We look forward to hearing from you.  

I'm not having any major problems with Air Link.  The original poster @vigolese  is the person you need to address.  The only issues I have with Air Link is bitrate related and I have filed bug reports regarding this with both v41 and v42.  I just got v43 on my Q2 so I'll probably file another one from there as well, lol! 

The main bitrate issue is that even with an ideal router/wifi setup and a rtx3090 I don't seem to be able to go above 80mbps Dynamic without stuttering.  I used to use 200mbps dynamic no problems with v40.  Then had to drop down to 150mbps dynamic with v41,  then 80mbps dynamic with v42, and so far the same with v43.  Anything much higher seems to bounce the bitrate reported in win10 task manager up and down like a yoyo and this is what seems to be what causes the stutters.  At 80mbps it seem to stay more constant and is stutter-free.  The only downside with the lower bitrate is that distant objects/textures take longer to pop in.  Not really a big deal for me but it's something that I think Meta needs to address.  BTW, no such problem with Link and I don't seem to have any problems using 500mbps bitrate, but not any significant improvement above 300mbps, for me anyway.  Cheers.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

"Is your internet connation a minimum of 72Hz and up to 120Hz?"

Why are support coming out with nonsense questions like this? internet speed has nothing to do with Airlink performance and even less to do with refresh rate.

That's actually not true, Airlink has everything to do with internet speed and is the deciding factor on whether or not you'll be using airlink. How it works is, you're streaming video to the headset, and streaming input to the machine, which is then fed into video then back into your headset. If you were using oculus link via the cable, it would be a different story, but internet connection is the center point of air link. If you have bad internet, you'll have a bad time with air link and if you can't feed video fast enough to the headset, your refresh rate will directly suffer.

Take your destiny into your own hands. Sand cannot keep a shape by itself, but add water and it becomes malleable. Fate can be such, if you add the right element.

Let me be the first to say you are making the classic mistake of confusing internet speed with wifi speed. Your internet speed (the speed at which you connect to the internet, believe it or not) is primarily dependent on your broadband provider and how much you pay them for their service. Your wifi speed is dependent on your wifi router and the speed at which the PC is connected to it. Wifi speed is the only one that matters for Airlink. You can use Airlink perfectly well with no internet connection at all. Virtual Desktop can be configured to work across the internet. Airlink cannot.

And the 72Hz up to 120Hz thing is the display refresh rate. Again, nothing to do with internet or wifi speed. You'd expect better of the people / bots that are supposed to be providing support.