cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airlink Issues with my new laptop

FaustinoFdez
Explorer

I have bought an ASUS f15 laptop(900$) to can use airlink with my Oculus Quest 2, the specification of the laptop are::
i5-11400H (6C/HexaCore 4.5GHz, 12MB)
16GB SO-DIMM DDR4 3200MHz
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 4GB GDDR6

The oculus desktop app show me a notification that say that my computer is not enough powerful for VR and it could cause issues.

Is it correct this message for this laptop?

Thanks!!

12 REPLIES 12

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Yes, unfortunately that’s your problem.  With a laptop you’d probably need at rtx3070 or better.  Just enjoy your Q2 standalone mobile VR and next time do a lot more google research.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

FaustinoFdez
Explorer

Do you know where I can find the recommended specifications?

Just google oculus quest air link requirements and you will find an oculus support site that will give you info/requirements for both link and air Link.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

FaustinoFdez
Explorer

I did it, and the requirements are compatible with my laptop:

CleanShot 2021-12-30 at 09.50.01.png

CleanShot 2021-12-30 at 09.49.44.png

FaustinoFdez
Explorer

Wich means that it must work on my laptop..

Any idea?

Those only referred to the desktop 3000 series before the 3050 and 3050ti were introduced.  A little more google research would have told you this, plus you would have seen many laptop users having PCVR problems, even those with 3060's mobile versions.  So-called Gaming laptops are not usually a good choice for PCVR.  I know because I started out with one myself, lol!  They can work but need to have high specs and are then very expensive (+$2,000).  You are far better to build or buy a good Desktop gaming PC.  For the same specs they will cost less and can also be upgraded in the future.

You could also have contracted Oculus support and asked them if your Laptop would run Link or Air Link prior to purchasing it.  Anyway, you got what you got so unless you can return it you'll need to enjoy your Q2 standalone with mobile VR.  That's how the majority  of Q2 users do anyway and Q2 store games are getting better and better all the time.

This is a user forum so I'm sorry but I cannot help or advise your further.  If you need further confirmation you can contact Oculus support and start a ticket.

MystaMagoo
Heroic Explorer

@FaustinoFdez wrote:

I have bought an ASUS f15 laptop(900$) to can use airlink with my Oculus Quest 2, the specification of the laptop are::
i5-11400H (6C/HexaCore 4.5GHz, 12MB)
16GB SO-DIMM DDR4 3200MHz
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 4GB GDDR6

The oculus desktop app show me a notification that say that my computer is not enough powerful for VR and it could cause issues.

Is it correct this message for this laptop?

Thanks!!

Probably just a false warning,says the same with my RTX3060ti but things working just fine.

Think the 3050 is slightly better than a 1060 and my 1060 did VR gaming ok.

Antec Quattro ~ Asrock Taichi X399 ~ Threadripper 1920X ~ 32gb 3200mhz GSkill ~ RTX3060ti ~ m.2 970evo

Mike12306
Adventurer

Is the guy above me even serious? I used to have a 2060 laptop and it ran vr titles just fine. I don't see why your 3050 wouldn't be able to play some games in vr, especially if you aren't maxing them and running at 72hz. Don't listen to the other guy. I'm on a 3070 laptop now and I can max out things more but the performance wasn't really that bad at all on the 2060. A 3050 is weaker but still shouldn't be seen as useless like the nonsense posted above me. Just don't expect to be playing vr games on max settings or playing too demanding titles.

Also, be sure that the game is using your Nvidia card and not your integrated graphics. 

@Mike12306 wrote:

Is the guy above me even serious? I used to have a 2060 laptop and it ran vr titles just fine. I don't see why your 3050 wouldn't be able to play some games in vr, especially if you aren't maxing them and running at 72hz. Don't listen to the other guy. I'm on a 3070 laptop now and I can max out things more but the performance wasn't really that bad at all on the 2060. A 3050 is weaker but still shouldn't be seen as useless like the nonsense posted above me. Just don't expect to be playing vr games on max settings or playing too demanding titles.

Think I snook in as you were typing......😜

But honestly TomCgcmfc knows what he is talking about and if he talks 'specifics' then one should listen.

CPU & GPU are both at the budget end of their divisions,ok amount of ram,probably on SSD.

All in all the VR experience won't be brilliant and there's also reliance on the cable being used for link.

OP says bought laptop to use airlink though so not too sure why now????

Antec Quattro ~ Asrock Taichi X399 ~ Threadripper 1920X ~ 32gb 3200mhz GSkill ~ RTX3060ti ~ m.2 970evo