cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airlink dropping on Dedicated Quest Access Point (but works via main router)

Ocunoob1010101
Level 3

Ok, I've done so much research at this point, I've almost given up.  I have two identical Asus AC66U-B1 routers.  One is set up as the primary router, the other as a dedicated AP for my Quest 2 (not a mesh node, an AP).  The primary router is one story above where I use the Quest.  If I use Airlink through the primary router, it works flawlessly.  If I attach Airlink through the AP, I might get in for a minute, maybe 10, maybe 20, or maybe just flat out can't connect at all (launch Airlink and immediately says it lost connection).  BTW, my gaming PC is hard-wired to the network.

The AP is right next to the area that I use the Quest, hard-wired (including some switches) to the primary router, and on a different WiFi channel; it also has it's own unique SSID.  Only 5Ghz is enabled on the AP.  Both are set to a fixed 40 Mhz bandwidth, not overlapping, but I have tried 20/40/80 on the AP and that didn't help.  There are neighbor WiFis on the same channels, but I think they are too weak/distant of a signal to make much difference (I looked at inSSider carefully).  I even have a backup router which I've used to replicate the AP settings, same exact model, and the behavior is the same - intermittent crashing of Airlink.  Both routers, both as a primary and as an a AP, seem to work fine in all other respects.  To remove all the cables and switches from the list of variables, I hooked the AP directly to the primary router, upstairs, and the Airlink to the AP still randomly disconnects.

I really don't get it.  The AP data rate is rock solid with tests from my laptop wifi.  I've tried several frequency bands - pretty much all (that are not DFS).  No luck.  I disabled "airtime fairness" on the AP - but the Quest is the only device on the AP, so I doubt that helped.  I upped the priority of the Quest PC task to "high", but that shouldn't be an issue since Airlink via the primary router is working fine.  I had QoS enabled on the primary router, to use Asus's Game Prioritizing feature, and that worked fine when Airlink connected to the primary router.  I did disable, however, when trying to troubleshoot the AP issues, and that didn't help either.  Same problem.

To me, it seems like either an AP advanced wireless setting needs to be tweaked, or maybe this has to do with different SSIDs, and my initial Quest setup with the mobile app being on the primary?  May sound weird, but it's based on something I read which I can't seem to find now.

If anyone has even a clue of how to narrow this down, I'm all ears.

7 REPLIES 7

OculusSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there! This is a unique situation to have, but you may be on the right track considering your phone is on the primary router but your device is not. If you haven't tested this theory already, we recommend connecting your phone to your dedicated AP and restarting your device and phone, and then attempt to use Air Link again.

If this does not work, you can also try re-setting your device up by performing a factory reset and setting it up on the dedicated AP. We hope this suggestion helps you get to the bottom of your issue!

@OculusSupport - I have not actually tested the phone SSID theory, but you further confirming it's even a possibility makes me think it's a worth a test.  I will also try the full factory reset, starting from scratch, with the AP SSID, if that doesn't fix it.  I will test tomorrow and report back.

It would be interesting to know, from the backend, why this could possibly cause a problem.  How could the SSID initial setup, or the phone mobile app's WiFi SSID, interfere with Airlink.  And, if it's possible, wouldn't this be a bug that requires fixing?  My situation can't be unique.

Bendit74
Level 6

SSIDs should not interfere with AirLink. My Quest 2 is on a dedicated SSID/band on my wifi AP. My phone connects to another SSID on that same AP (on another band). It all works fine for me.

I don't think that's the issue.

Intel i7-7700K, 32GB RAM - nVidia GTX 1070 Amp Edition 8GB GDDR5. Nighthawk X6 R8000 WiFi (in AP mode).

Ocunoob1010101
Level 3

Well, I just tried what Oculus support suggested, including a full factory reset, with both the phone and Quest on the dedicated AP.  Rebooted phone, set up everything on the headset via AP (and made sure phone forgot primary router so no chance of an auto-connect).  And, little surprise, it did not work.  Same drop out problem, only a minute into the game, airlink disconnected, and continues to disconnect on repeated attempts.

I reconnected to my primary router, on Airlink, via headset (not even touching the phone), and everything is working flawlessly again.  This makes no sense.

Bendit74
Level 6

Well, it makes little sense but you know that your dedicated AP is the culprit, right?

So at least there's hope if you figure out what's going on with your funky AP.

Have you tried a factory reset on your problematic AP? You can factory-reset it, then apply the latest firmware to it and start from scratch with it?

Intel i7-7700K, 32GB RAM - nVidia GTX 1070 Amp Edition 8GB GDDR5. Nighthawk X6 R8000 WiFi (in AP mode).

@Bendit74 - When I started troubleshooting, as mentioned in the OP, I actually used another identical router to try to eliminate the AP as the issue (at least the hardware).  I factory reset the backup router, and made the very minor tweaks I had made to the other AP - different SSID to primary router, 5 Ghz only, different frequency channel/width, and tried fair airtime both on/off.  Both APs exhibited the same exact disconnect issues.

All routers, primary, AP, and backup AP (for testing) are all updated to the most recent Asus firmware.  Should have included that in the OP, but I did in fact check all of them at the beginning of troubleshooting.

Yes, it helps that the main router has consistently been flawless, because it provides a comparison, and also eliminates several possible causes.  That's part of why I'm shaking my head.

Ocunoob1010101
Level 3

FYI, just got the v39 update.  Didn't fix the AP dropout issues, not that I expected it to.