cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antivirus blocking Elite Dangerous

cybernettr
Superstar
 Elite dangerous keeps attempting to update, but every time it goes through the whole download process, at the end it pops up a message that says antivirus apparently is blocking the installation.  So I clicked on the message and it popped up an Oculus help page in my browser that said I should either turn off antivirus or set Oculus as a trusted app.  

Windows defender is my default and only antivirus, as I'm sure it is for thousands or millions of other users.  So in windows defender security center I went to settings > virus and protection setting > exclusions > add or remove exclusions > add an exclusion, and chose File, but I don't know the official name of the oculus app or its location. Advice appreciated. 
9 REPLIES 9

vannagirl
Consultant
uninstall then reinstall should clear this

many of us had this, that works. The little tab then uninstall, reinstall. It does not download the whole thing it just reinstalls only

hope this help
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

cybereality
Grand Champion
We are aware of an issue with the game and are investigating. For now, you may want to try reinstalling the game, this has worked for some customers. Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Keron119
Explorer

This info from another poster on these forums fixed the problem for me. Give it a try.

rdolivaw said:
Here is my workaround, a little different.

In your oculus install directory, named Oculus, you will find a sub-directory named "Software" and below that two more; one named "Software" and one named "Staging"
Software/Software will contain directories for all of your installed games.

If you have attempted the install and it aborted as in the messages above, there will be directories in each of those directories named "frontier-developments-plc-elite-dangerous".

The one in Software/Staging is E:D v2.4 , the one in Software/Software is E:D v2.3.
With Oculus Home NOT RUNNING, I deleted the v2.3 directory in Software/Software and moved the v2.4 directory from Software/Staging to Software/Software.

I then started Oculus Home and it downloaded a small update (~300mb) for Elite Dangerous, installed it successfully and all is well. I am now running 2.4.

Hope this helps someone. You can always revert by placing the 2.4 directory in its original location and restoring 2.3 from the recycle bin.

Comcodor
Honored Guest

Keron119 said:

This info from another poster on these forums fixed the problem for me. Give it a try.

rdolivaw said:

This worked for me as well great thanks.

Tony71L
Honored Guest
Indeed, this workaround worked well for me:

rdolivaw said:
Here is my workaround, a little different.

In your oculus install directory, named Oculus, you will find a sub-directory named "Software" and below that two more; one named "Software" and one named "Staging"
Software/Software will contain directories for all of your installed games.

If you have attempted the install and it aborted as in the messages above, there will be directories in each of those directories named "frontier-developments-plc-elite-dangerous".

The one in Software/Staging is E:D v2.4 , the one in Software/Software is E:D v2.3.
With Oculus Home NOT RUNNING, I deleted the v2.3 directory in Software/Software and moved the v2.4 directory from Software/Staging to Software/Software.

I then started Oculus Home and it downloaded a small update (~300mb) for Elite Dangerous, installed it successfully and all is well. I am now running 2.4.

Hope this helps someone. You can always revert by placing the 2.4 directory in its original location and restoring 2.3 from the recycle bin."

Thank you for sharing!

cybereality
Grand Champion
The 1.19 Oculus update should resolve this issue. If the current work-arounds don't help, please wait until your Oculus app updates to 1.19 and try again. Keep in mind the update rolls out over several days, so please be patient. Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

DarkDefender01
Honored Guest
Well, it is end of the 2017 and I have the same problem with four apps.. BigScreen, Elite:Dangerous, Robo Recall.. Freshly installed windows 10 with all fresh apps, only windows defender on. Oculus app is installed on C drive but apps are on another disk due to lack of space and saving SSD. I have deleted the folders with those games installed previously, before reinstalling system. I cleared Staging folder and nothing.... So surprised that Oculus's developers can't sort it out like others did (Steam, GOG etc)..

AyaronL
Honored Guest
Well it's 2020 and this is happening to me with Elite Dangerous. Tried turning off Windows Security virus protection, didn't help. Decided a reboot might help and now it's started the 20GB download over again!

Not happy. 😞

Anonymous
Not applicable
same problem here - i've turned off windows defender and it's still failing to install telling me my AV is blocking it - windows defender is the only AV i have installed