cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else having random image problems in Elite:D?

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I've been having these issues since several weeks now - and they have recently got worse.

They seem to be brought on by bright things in the display - a Sun, the lights on a landing pad or a starport itself. I have even had them in the menu screen.

What it tends to be, is either flashing light on the edges of my cockpit, or an image of something that was in the monitor a few seconds previously, as if it had not been cleared from the graphics card's memory. So, I may pass a planet as I approach an outpost. After I have taken off again, the image of that planet will flash up on the front of the windscreen - sometimes repeatedly. Or even the image of the outpost itself.

I have made sure everything is updated (I am in the Oculus beta) and have switched off all the graphical enhancements in Elite - no change. I am definitely not overheating - the graphics card rarely gets over 57°C during gameplay. I do sometimes get flashing light type issues in P3D - but that could be anything, with it being an FSX descendant.

I tested on the monitor alone and these issues were not present - it's definitely something with the Rift - whether it's hardware or software or a driver, setting or programming thing, I don't know, but it needs sorting. I tried two different driver versions, too.

i5 Haswell 4690k @ 4.2GHz; 16GB DDR3 @ 2133MHz; GTX 1060 6GB (standard); Asus Z97-P mobo and evo850 SSDs for O/S, Oculus Home and games.

My next step is to completely dismantle, clean and reassemble the PC.

PS - why is this post tagging system still so bad?

Edit: forgot to mention - I have recorded a video and am editing out the non-events - will upload soon.

PPS: also forgot - I'm running the FD game - not Steam or Home version.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2
69 REPLIES 69

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I'm having issues with Windows and doing a yet another complete reinstall - we'll see what happens this time 😉

Wiley_Wilson
Explorer
No mate, not in-game.  But I did PM you a few weeks ago via this site asking you if you fancied meeting up in-game.  I think I gave my CMDR name.  Let me know if you didnt get the message and I'll PM you again.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
No - I remember getting a message but it slipped my mind - had a hell of a lot on my plate in recent weeks - I'll go and check again.

I'm trying to decide which version of Elite to install this time. Oculus, Steam or FD - I'm leaning towards FD. I didn't keep the config this time, though, so it will be clean from scratch.
Unfortunately Windows is playing silly buggers again - only just finished installing and setting up as I like it and my normal apps etc and already can't install FTX Central to use with P3D and Oculus Tray Tool is flat refusing to run (though it did seem to install ok). I'm really beginning to think I may have an outsider in my rig. MBAM can't find one, though.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Update:

Installing Windows (4th time in a week) on a different SSD fixed the problems, plus so far no graphics issues.

Fingers crossed...

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I can't find messages on here - well if ya like you can add me

Wiley_Wilson
Explorer
Click on your username at the top of the page, then click on Inbox (middle right).

Assuming your CMDR name is Brixmis, I'll throw you an invite tonight.

My name is CMDR Z..... Z....

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Ah yes - found the message now 🙂

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Ok done 🙂

Just been out to Deciat to get Felicity to try and up the jump range on my new Fer-de-Lance. Still not entirely pleased with the range - but I am a bit mystified. According to the galaxy map, I only have 16.65LY range, but I could swear it was about that before I left (with an A rated FSD). Mind you, the trip out to Deciat was 15 jumps and the trip back is only 9 - so that's a good improvement.

I'm now moving my 'home' base out to LHS 2925 and I'm heading there now - then I'll get all my ships ferried over before starting to rank up with the Alliance.

Wiley_Wilson
Explorer
OK great, LHS 2925.  Are you in Open?  I'll look for you next time I login.

9 jumps is much better than 15!  Good ol' Felicity!

I tend to only use my combat ships for 1-2 jumps and use the ship transfer facilities quite a lot.  I fly to my destination with AspX, filled to the brim with cargo racks, then transfer my ship over.  Whilst it's on its way, I do some delivery missions for rare mats/data.  By the time my ship arrives, I'm X CR up, got some rep with the local factions and got more mats/data I need.  Works for me; saves me grinding for mats as I just pick them up as and when I get the opportunity.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I normally only use open for exploring and CGs. Otherwise I'm in my private group.

I used to have a maxed-out AspX with A rated core modules and engineered to the eyeballs etc, well in fact I had two - one GP ship and one for exploring. On my last trip out to Colonia I got melted on the way back (got trapped in a Neutron star) and decided to leave it and "teleport" back to the Bubble and use another ship.

I have quite a fleet, now, but mostly use my DBX on general purpose missions, though I just used it on a round 24,000LY exploration/data collection mission - I like to use my Python a  on CGs and for planetary scanning missions I prefer my Dolphin. I use an Imperial Clipper for a bit of fun now and then - and have a few more. The FDL was an impulse buy - a wingmate told me they were a bit naff, so I didn't bother up to now, but I have to say I quite like it, apart from the poor range.

I'm aiming for an Anaconda next - I have been reluctant because I knew I could already do everything with the ships I have - but what the hell, you only live once, might as well think BIG B)