cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are import taxes that high? 499 euro's for Rift S??

VRrequiem
Honored Guest
Someone help explaining me this?

it seems the Oculus Rift S will be 499 Euro's here in europe.

499 Euro translates to about 557 USD , in the US the device will be 399 USD which translates to 357 Euro

so you saying the import taxes are about 158 USD?

kinda confused why i must pay almost 500 euro's , this all import cost? would it be cheaper to buy directly from the american oculus store and let it ship over, would the shipping cost be less of a total price for me in euro's then buying it from a retailer here in the Netherlands for 500 euro??? 
8 REPLIES 8

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Is this confirmed? If so I would probably expect £449 for UK.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Techy111
MVP
MVP
@VRrequiem I'd be careful of that mate, if it goes wonky buying from outside then replacements could be more hassle?
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

LZoltowski
Champion
Where are you getting the price from?
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well things in EU will cost more than it is here for a few reasons. VAT, longer warranty, EU to US is not always one to one at the time (they just have to pick a scale), etc. I would except to pay more than what we do - but far as I know - there wasn't a price release yet for EU.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

VRrequiem said:

Someone help explaining me this?

it seems the Oculus Rift S will be 499 Euro's here in europe.

499 Euro translates to about 557 USD , in the US the device will be 399 USD which translates to 357 Euro

so you saying the import taxes are about 158 USD?

kinda confused why i must pay almost 500 euro's , this all import cost? would it be cheaper to buy directly from the american oculus store and let it ship over, would the shipping cost be less of a total price for me in euro's then buying it from a retailer here in the Netherlands for 500 euro??? 

Please provide the source for the €499 price, thank you. Here it says €449, which is the normal price in Europe when the price is $399 in USA:

http://www.haz.de/Nachrichten/Medien/Netzwelt/Rift-S-Oculus-stellt-neue-VR-Brille-vor

Also in the European Union you've got 2 years of warranty - that may to some degree also explain higher price.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

macker33
Honored Guest
As far as i know the tax on luxury items from the US is between 22% and 24% so that makes it just under 500 euros plus shipping.

fredrick8763
Honored Guest
yes after tax addition it would cost you around 500 euros, or if you have some one in united states you could tell them to send you as a gift.

macker33
Honored Guest
All lot of the time the way it works here is that you will receive the item at the same cost as americans but you get a note from customs telling you that they paid the import duty and you owe them money.
  Some companies you buy from prepay the import and you are charged in advance.