cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Drain While Using Oculus Link with Quest 2

Alexrocks1253
Honored Guest

I am using the official link cable plugged into a USB 3.2 port on my computer with a USB-C to USB-A adapter. During a 2 hour play session, the battery drained from 100% to 32% while plugged into link. At one point, I even got a low battery warning and the device shut off. All power management to USB devices is disabled.

The Oculus Quest 1 did not do this, and, in fact, charged while plugged in.

Why is this going on even though the USB ports are supplying enough power?

21 REPLIES 21

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey Alexrocks1253, 

We understand how crucial battery life is to gaming. There has been a lot of discussion about this particular issue. We searched and found a thread where you might be able find a suggestion that assists in prolonging your battery life. 

If you are still experiencing this, please submit a support ticket at https://ocul.us/ContactSupport. We would love to look into this matter further with you. 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

I looked at that thread and people were experiencing battery drain even when the link cable was plugged into a PCI-E USB-C card, meaning that there is something possibly going on with the software at hand.

Based on the Link's web page, it says it can power and run the headset at the same time, but that clearly has not been the case for me.

Boofer
Explorer

I rec'd my braided link cable from Amazon on Thursday, plugged into my usb3 port with the PC powered on, and my Q2 charged to 100%. I was thrilled...finally, some progress! After playing for awhile, I stopped, and saw the battery at 75%. I left it plugged in, but turned off the PC. When I checked later on that 75% was down to 37%! The only thing that changed from the headset being charged was powering off the PC.

That tells me the headset battery is draining through the cable and the unpowered PC. Don't know what else is going on here, but the replacement cable does enable charging. 

formition
Explorer

Quest 2 was off and I was using the link (official cable) to charge it, surprised to come back a few days later and it was on 2% battery. Terrifying. The USB port is a front port on an expensive Alienware Desktop, so I'm sure its got the power to charge it.  Should come with a warning. Don't use link to charge it!

How is this the only response? This is still an issue with a brand new Meta Quest 2 connected to a current gen Asus MB with a USB C USB 3.2 Gen 2 port.

yup same prohlem here lol

Hey there @seizure-salad! We know how important it is having optimal battery for gaming, this isn't the type of experience we aim to provide. Please don't hesitate to reach out to our support team if you're experiencing issues with your headset battery! We're always more than happy to help.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Wow great reply,  You must have flunked out of school. huh?  Literally the same copy paste BS with no answer.  f  off

formition
Explorer

So more on this, inside Quest 2 there is an auto Wake feature, that turns Quest 2 on when it detects movement.

This is what I believe is the issue, because when you plug it in, you probably moved the Quest 2 device slightly which wakes it, then it is effectively turned on and it drains battery faster than it charges.

So go and find the setting in Quest 2 where it says wake on movement and unselect it. That way you can completely control on/off with the power button and holding it for 3 seconds to turn on/off when you want it on and off.