cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CV1 paperweight

assettomio
Adventurer
Well, it seems like it finally happened, took 3 years and several replacements before that, but still, even though I barely ever used the rift other than for virtual desktop (so there was no stepping on cables), the cable seems to have died, oculus home is reporting all connections are okay, and orange light turns off when it senses stuff, but as of today there is just a black screen (after it's been artifacting for some time now).
I assume cables are still a no go and we original cv1 owners that paid 1000 bucks for the headset alone are still hanging out to dry these days?
So, anybody got any suggestions for alternative headsets made by a less detesting company that doesn't enjoy shitting on their customers as much?
Not planning on sticking around for the whole facebook syncing fiasco now that I'm also being extorted into buying a new headset..
So, any ideas anyone?
7 REPLIES 7

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Well firstly I'd suggest not paying a thousand bucks for a $599 headset!

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Well, it seems like it finally happened, took 3 years and several replacements before that, but still, even though I barely ever used the rift other than for virtual desktop (so there was no stepping on cables), the cable seems to have died, oculus home is reporting all connections are okay, and orange light turns off when it senses stuff, but as of today there is just a black screen (after it's been artifacting for some time now).
I assume cables are still a no go and we original cv1 owners that paid 1000 bucks for the headset alone are still hanging out to dry these days?
So, anybody got any suggestions for alternative headsets made by a less detesting company that doesn't enjoy shitting on their customers as much?
Not planning on sticking around for the whole facebook syncing fiasco now that I'm also being extorted into buying a new headset..
So, any ideas anyone?

Vive Pro if you want oled, or Index or Reverb G2. G2 will be cheapest. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

assettomio
Adventurer

JD-UK said:

Early adopter mate, unfortunately, that was the price to have it shipped to europe during pre-order back then

assettomio
Adventurer

RuneSR2 said:

So, any ideas anyone?

Yea I heard about the G2, do you happen to know also how the screen compares to the cv1? Also, with the whole wmr thing would it be much of a hassle to set it up with steamvr?

falken76
Expert Consultant

JD-UK said:

He got it when it came out, the original one without controllers was $600, The touch conrtrollers were $200 when they came out, sensors were $60 and there's probably extension cables and other accessories he got. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

So, any ideas anyone?

Yea I heard about the G2, do you happen to know also how the screen compares to the cv1? Also, with the whole wmr thing would it be much of a hassle to set it up with steamvr?

The G2 is 2 x 2160 x 2160 compared to CV1's 2 x 1200 x 1080, so it's a massive upgrade in res - if your gpu can handle it. I've got both CV1 and Index connected to the same rig, works like a charm.

You could simply find another used CV1 on Ebay too. I'd be sad to lose my CV1, so I already got another CV1 for backup - including a new cable. Also just bought a new sensor. Just in case, I'm not ready to part with CV1 yet for several reasons 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
also - I just looked on ebay and there are lots available at very reasonable prices (£30 on the UK site) and if it doesn't work you get your money back. That's probably far

falken76 said:

JD-UK said:

He got it when it came out, the original one without controllers was $600, The touch conrtrollers were $200 when they came out, sensors were $60 and there's probably extension cables and other accessories he got. 

Don't want to keep on too much on this and detract from the main moan, but he said "we original cv1 owners that paid 1000 bucks for the headset alone" - hence my reply that it was only $599 and if he paid a grand for it, he paid too much.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?