cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't find "Phone Notification" option to enable Android notifications in V34 update

JeffNik
MVP
MVP

I have upgraded to V34 and wanted to try out the Android phone notifications on my Quest. You're supposed to initiate the feature by going to the mobile app, under "devices" and enable the "Phone Notifications" option there. My mobile app does not have "phone notifications" under "devices"... just:

wi-fi

controllers

developer mode

[etc]

... am I looking in the right place? I believe I'm on the most recent app version - there no update option in the play store. Any ideas? Maybe the feature isnt available yet for my Galaxy S21?

280 REPLIES 280

Hey Nipper216, we appreciate your response! Thanks for letting us know that those steps have already been tried. There's an official article with some steps you could try herewhich could alleviate the issue. If you're not having any luck, please consider reporting a bug or sending us a PM by going to our profile and clicking "Send a message" so we can look into this a bit deeper. Cheers!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Anonymous
Not applicable

When I follow the steps in that link, I get back to the problem where toggling the "Phone notifications" switch just blinks to another screen and blinks right back.

Anonymous
Not applicable

So clearly, while progress has been made, this feature still doesn't work. Plenty of people now see the Phone Notifications option on their Android phone, but they don't actually receive notifications.

Can you tell us that the development team is aware of this ongoing bug and is continuing to work on it? Is there a timeline for a fix yet?

i'll try this 

And they want to build the metaverse...... so many endless bugs lol

I was able to 'fix' this blinking between screens, by unselecting phone notifications  in the oculus headset. then going back to phone notifications within the oculus mobile app and the toggle 'works' . what I kept running up against was the bluetooth pairing wouldnt work or 'stay'. eventually , after trying multiple times, and maybe it was timing and 'steps' ( enable toggle, allow bluetooth connect) I have received notifications within the quest headset. NOTE : it seems notifications show up immediate while the phone is 'active'. if it is asleep I dont seem to be receiving notifications in the quest headset. I am still trying this use case out. 

On the off chance it helps..

I was getting the same behavior (toggles on and immediately off) & (finally connected but no notifications showing up)..  it all came down to doing things in an exact order.  

1. On your phone, go to your Bluetooth settings.
  2. You should see your Quest here if you've paired it previously.
  3. Select it, there should be an option to Forget or Unpair it.
  4. On the phone, start the Oculus app
  5. Go to Devices, then Phone Notifications
  6. You'll need to toggle the Phone Notifications off and then back on again.
  7. At this point, pair your phone again and it should work.

MentalDraco-Fox
Honored Guest

Got the notification settings - it was toggling on off quickly - solved with steps here. 

Now I have the settings, turned them on, but notifications don't show up. 

Same here.. pixel 6 pro

Dadbart
Protege

Mine is finally working. Took several times enabling and disabling the Phone notifications on my Galaxy S8+ and Quest 2. That was after getting it to give me the option in Oculus app Devices after doing the delete data step in Settings on the phone. I had to forget the previous BT connection on the phone, then after 4-5 times toggling it on and off, it enabled in both places and gave me a message on the Quest that Phone notifications were enabled and would start appearing. After a couple more reboots of the Quest, they started coming in. First a couple of app notifications and then SMS started working. I do like having this finally, but it should not have been anywhere near this involved. Did iOS users go through this too?