cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you use a phone to control a VR headset?

Anonymous
Not applicable
So I am trying to make an app but I want to know if it is possible to use a phone to control what you see on the VR headset. I am making a game with multiple options (drive, fly, boat). So if the user chooses to fly on the mobile app then it will update on the VR headset. Does that make sense? and is it possible?
8 REPLIES 8

TomCgcmfc
Level 15
While you can already cast your Quest and Go headsets to your phone (and/or TV), you cannot do it the other way around.  With Rift, you can use the mirror to monitor option within the Oculus desktop app device settings.  Also, while you are in a game you cannot interact with it from your phone (or monitor).  So, what I think you are trying to do is probably not possible imho.

Aside, probably not applicable; There apparently is a way to use an android phone as a Go controller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7RmjYwjlok
9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, 750w psu, Q2 w/Air Link, Vive Pro

edmg
Level 10
I would think you could have the phone app connect to the headset app over the wi-fi and control it that way. But it would be hard to use the phone app while you had the headset on.

Double_Shot
Level 5

TomCgcmfc said:

While you can already cast your headset to your phone (and/or TV), you cannot do it the other way around.  Also, while you are in a game you cannot interact with it using your phone.  So, what I think you are trying to do is probably not possible imho.

I can cast my headset to a phone?  No kidding?  How??

Double_Shot
Level 5
Hey TomCgcmfc, on a related phone note, I had read a year or so ago, that someone was working on an app where you could make and receive calls while in the Rift.  Do you know anything about that?  I think it would be a great app to have.

TomCgcmfc
Level 15

TomCgcmfc said:

While you can already cast your headset to your phone (and/or TV), you cannot do it the other way around.  Also, while you are in a game you cannot interact with it using your phone.  So, what I think you are trying to do is probably not possible imho.

For casting from the Quest and/or Go refer to this Oculus Support document;

https://support.oculus.com/1053142614872870/

For Rift headsets I don't think you can cast but you can use mirror (Oculus app device settings) to send to your monitor.  I guess you may be able to chromecast a google webpage to a suitable device.  Don't know, never tried.

As to your second multiple question; I don't know of any phone app that can do this with Oculus headsets.  Maybe it can be done through Win10's phone app.  I know my Vive Pro has this feature but I've never tried using it.  I always have my iphone close by so pretty easy to pause whatever I'm doing and just answer it.

9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, 750w psu, Q2 w/Air Link, Vive Pro

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

TomCgcmfc said:

When you go into the mobile app, there's a cast button at the top next to the bell notification button. Press that and it gives you a list of your headsets that are nearby (Go and Quest only) and where you want to cast to (usually the phone you are using).
It can also cast to a Nvidia Shield settop box or to a chromecast dongle, both for display on your tv.

edmg said:

I would think you could have the phone app connect to the headset app over the wi-fi and control it that way. But it would be hard to use the phone app while you had the headset on.

Yep, wifi connection would be fairly easy. Either to a Quest or Go, or to the PC running a Rift. Network game programming can be rather painful, but a simple system like some buttons on a phone screen triggering changes in a VR game isn't as complex.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Double_Shot
Level 5
Ah, ok.  But not the Rift.  I'm assuming because it's tethered and not broadcasting a signal.  Too bad.

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Yep, not the Rift.
There's some programs that let you stream a PC's screen to a phone, such as APowerMirror and LetsView, but I've never used them.
In theory that should let the mirror view of a VR game be shown on a phone, but I prefer seeing it on a monitor. 🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2