cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Casting Quest 2 to Chromecast with Google TV

sherldaro
Explorer
Hi

Can't see this specific issue has been asked before, so hoping someone can help.  I am trying to cast from my Quest 2 to my new Chromecast with Google TV.  The Quest can see the Chromecast device, and when I select to cast to it, it says "sending request", then 3-4 seconds later, fails with a cast/streaming error.  I can cast from Quest to iPhone app, and from iPhone to Chromecast, just not Quest 2 Chromecast.  As mentioned, it can see it in the device list, so is on the same network, etc.  Any help greatly appreciated.
15 REPLIES 15

Dr_Gibberish
Honored Guest
Having the exact same problem. Could not get Quest 2 to stay connected to Google TV. Fixed it by making my wifi network 2.4 GHz only. However, this seems like a kludge and I am concerned, as I understand that a wireless connection to Steam VR is only possible if both the Quest 2 and the laptop running steam are on 5 GHz. (Just gotthe Quest tonight and have not been able to try it.) I am not sure if this is a google problem or an Oculus problem but it sure looks like an Oculus problem from this end, as nothing else in the house (multiple phones and laptops) had trouble casting to Google TV.

wrentheblurry
Honored Guest
I wish I had something useful and positive to add, but just wanted to say I'm also unable to get the Quest 2 to cast to my Chromecast with Google TV for more than a few seconds before it stops with an error. 😕

Ziegy_765
Honored Guest
Just received my Quest 2 today. I'm having no luck casting via my 5GHz network either. It will connect & cast for a few seconds then just stop casting. @Oculus, are you listening?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Same here. Error after a second. No luck throught both the vr directly or the Oculus app throught my phone. Help with it please.. 

Marine4981
Honored Guest
Figured it out. If you start from the home screen and attempt to cast it will fail. Start the app/game and press (not hold) the oculus button on the right controller. Cast is on the far right and it worked instantly. Almost gave up as Google and this support trail didn't yield any answers. I do hope this helps anyone.

Lem_is_cool
Honored Guest

Wanted to say, quest1 and normal and ultra Chromecast is no problem. Chromecast with Google tv and I can't get to work. I'm on 5ghz so I'll try going back to 2.4.

/Edit- Yup, put headset and Chromecast on 2.4ghz and now it works. Just have to swap back if I use airlink.