Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Casting with iPhone Mixed Reality not working

coolish
Honored Guest

quest 2 is v35

iPhone oculus app is v140

followed the instruction here

https://support.oculus.com/articles/in-vr-experiences/oculus-features/mobile-mixed-reality-camera

but can't see the button in step two

there are only 3 modes to cast and they are not mixed reality

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sam022111
Protege

After trying so many things eventually got rid of the issue by checking the camera preserve settings on iPhone.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, Coolish! Mixed reality is a brand new experimental casting mode we're still playing around with a bit, and compatibility is a huge factor! If you are sure you meet all the

requirements all you’ll need is an iPhone XS or above running iOS 11.0 or higher, and the latest version of the Oculus mobile app. First and foremost, try a reboot on the headset! To do so,

simply hold the volume down button and the power button until you're prompted with the boot menu. Using the volume buttons to navigate the menu and the power button to select the

reboot option allow the headset to do its thing! While its in that process, do a clean install of the Oculus App on your IPhone; delete it, reinstall it, and sign in and check if the  button has

appeared. If these steps don't provide a solution, feel free to submit a support ticket here or send us a PM by clicking here or on our name to get to our profile page, then click "Send a 

Message" to privately contact us. Please remember, you must be signed into the community first to send us a private message. We hope this helped! 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

I have rebooted the headset and reinstalled the app. Still cannot do mix reality casting. Also interesting that in iOS App Store there is no such version as 139 ( which is mentioned in the announcement) but 140 so it seems it skips version 139? Which seems to be strange. 

Could anyone solve that problem? 
because I also still don’t have that icon. Everything is updated, App reinstalled.. IPhone 11 should be suitable, but I still don’t have the icon?

HappyPlaceTrvlr
Explorer

This is an incredibly frustrating issue because so many people are experiencing it. On Twitter, @oculus.support is telling users that the feature is 100% rolled out to everyone and so there should be no reason that the cube icon (for mixed reality) is missing. However, if you chat with support - which is often where @oculus.support pushes users - multiple problems arise. First, MANY (let me change that - I can only say 4 definitely - 4 out of 4) front line chat agents have not even recognized the term Mixed Reality. So after extended wait times while they self-train or gather new resources for themselves, the only two things they do in trouble shooting are to ask for a screenshot from the companion app showing that the cube is truly not there (as if each person who reports this is the first person to experience it - off-putting, non-transparent, "blaming" customer [well it must be you]) and then they recommended uninstalling and reinstalling the companion app.   For 10+ of us - all very VERY advanced users (2 YouTuber with 100k+ followers, 2 developers, 1 winter world beat saber winner 2021 - all of us are at a level like this) are at wit's end because the front line agents eventually say they'll have to escalate and someone will get back with us in 3 - 5 days (it was quicker, it's getting longer). But time after time Support fails to follow up with any of us.   And we are the experts - we want this to work or we wouldn't try so hard - and moreover we feel we have a responsibility to VR and to the success of the QUEST because we want to have it grow that we'll help novice and mid-level users.. And many of us are in a position to help. Yet dozens to hundreds of reddit posts by unique users point to the fact that this is a much larger issue than is being documented/taught/admitted - no transparency and at this point with META being so new, it reflects VERY poorly on the future for what we have to expect and our hope that this grand VR and Metaverse experience will succeed. Right now, if we can't even get mixed reality to work in the 3rd week after it's been rolled out and we have NO SUPPORT from SUPPORT, then a real METAVERSE seems much further away - and far darker.  

Unfortunately, with the same issue (and very excited to see a possible solution for me and those in our extensive twitter throated) this did not resolve the issue. I still have no cube /. no mixed reality option. I tried in Gravity Sketch, Beat Saber, and Synth Riders before giving up - actually, just for kicks, in Beat Saber I tried turning MRC option off then on the off then on hoping to trigger the companion app option but to no avail. 

And I'll take this private if I have to but with so many people in the same boat, it seems like a transparent, open, honest discussion in a public forum would benefit users and META, as well. Just a thought. 

Is there an issue with Oculus Support when it comes to making communications commitments on this issue and then not following up - not following up, that is, since week 1 of the v35 rollout and not following up since. Not only have I had issues on personal account but my developer account as well (although, admittedly, they may be linked behind the scenes in which case Support isn't bothering to answer twice as many of my personal inquiries.). Ditto this question for chat followups where the agents have to turn the issues over to email and yet support doesn't get back to you or says they are escalating the issue and there is never another response. 

I know I'm not alone because I'm in a Twitter thread on this issue and we've been careful to loop in @oculus.support into the thread for the threads and all of its sprouting branches on the issue. None of us are getting followup. Simply admitting SPECIFICALLY that this is a known issue rather than the general standard text "some features are experimental and..." type of vague reply. If one time I was told that META knows more than one person, me, is experiencing the issue it would go a long way in rebuilding the trust that's been lost as I see our Twitter thread and countless reddit posts melt away into an armada of upset users and a heap of frustrated ones. 

Transparency - or the lack of it - was many people's fear with the Facebook to META and the Oculus to META name changes... our hope, I can speak for many without question, was that META had learned earlier lessons from Facebook and would be more transparent. At this point, it appears that this is quite the opposite of what is transpiring. META - NO!  Don't start building a Metaverse on the old soviet-style of world building where only the top of the ranks in the party get to see what's going on. It did not pay off for the USSR, it will not pay off for META. 

Any news?? 

i Switched from Quest 1 to Quest 2 today…. Still no mixed reality button for me 😞

i also asked the Support Team here… but never get a reply. Really sad.

I have the same issue, running v37 on the Quest 2 and v148.1 on an iPhone 12 mini (iOS 15.2.1). Abby thoughts Meta?

JesseDeya
Expert Protege

I have this issue (now)... but the weirdest thing is that it DID work at first.

iPhone XS with Quest 2. Both on the same network.

The first time I tried it the cube was there and I was able to get it going in FitXR, tried to record a video but it stopped after 2 seconds. I finished my workout and cooled down, then tried to get the MR to work again but the cube was gone!

I have rebooted the headset, removed the app from the iphone and reinstalled... nothing.