cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chromatic Aberration Issues

thekiwimaddog
Honored Guest
Hi everyone! I've received my DK2 today and have been playing around in both the Oculus World Demo and the Demo Scene and I'm noticing a large amount of chromatic aberration towards the edges of the screen. I've been playing around with the settings (IPD, Eye relief, Eye Cups) and nothing seems to help with this issue. In fact I can't even see a noticeable change in the chromatic aberration correction when viewing it using the monitor for reference and picking what I think are extreme values. They all just seem to produce the same correction effect.

Should the IPD, Eye Relief and Cup type change the chromatic aberration correction effect? If so can someone tell me the extreme values that I can choose for a comparison as I'm wondering if this is just a bug and my settings are not being applied to the distortion correctly.

Does anyone else see this chromatic aberration?

Thanks Everyone!
David
225 REPLIES 225

roocell
Protege
I can confirm as well that 0.75 is a better settings for me as well.
In OculusWorldDemo I can notice the difference particularly on the branches of the tree.

pix
Honored Guest
Just to confuse things, using the OculusWorldDemo with CA adjustment, looking at the white-cubes screen (hitting ; twice), the best CA multiplier for me is 0.45!

A cups, middle position, IPD 66mm (according to my optometrist, and set in the config)

My Rift seemed to ship from Australia (I'm in Australia).

pix

Torkemada
Honored Guest
"pix" wrote:
Just to confuse things, using the OculusWorldDemo with CA adjustment, looking at the white-cubes screen (hitting ; twice), the best CA multiplier for me is 0.45!

A cups, middle position, IPD 66mm (according to my optometrist, and set in the config)

My Rift seemed to ship from Australia (I'm in Australia).

pix

For me also 0.45 - 0.47 is the best CA multiplier. IPD 64mm measured in oculus tool, optometrist measured it at 62mm (prescription for glasses). But in my tests i found that IPD doesn't affect chromatic aberrations.

brantlew
Adventurer
"pix" wrote:

"Torkemada" wrote:
For me also 0.45 - 0.47 is the best CA multiplier. IPD 64mm measured in oculus tool, optometrist measured it at 62mm (prescription for glasses). But in my tests i found that IPD doesn't affect chromatic aberrations.

The chroma divergence is a function of eye relief. The shipping defaults are set for a long (near maximum) eye relief. The reported 0.75 multiplier puts the values "close" to where they should be for minimum eye relief for guys who wear the lens very close and the midrange (0.45) works best at a medium eye relief setting. We're working on providing multiple settings* to cover this range so you guys will be able to adjust your chroma in all games simply by setting your eye relief correctly in the Config Util.

* The chroma correction values define a 2-term polynomial curve offset from the green channel, so the function is not necessarily a simple linear scaling, but is instead an interpolation between curves. The code in OVR_Stereo is already setup to perform this curve interpolation, but it only has 1 sample curve at this point.

JFlynn
Honored Guest
I'm using one or two notches away from maximum eye relief, and I get better aberration with the modified version. Wearing glasses. The ability to override the relief setting (which is hard to keep in place over a playsession anyway, very loose) would nice in case we are outliers of some kind.

thekiwimaddog
Honored Guest
"brantlew" wrote:
The chroma divergence is a function of eye relief. The shipping defaults are set for a long (near maximum) eye relief. The reported 0.75 multiplier puts the values "close" to where they should be for minimum eye relief for guys who wear the lens very close and the midrange (0.45) works best at a medium eye relief setting. We're working on providing multiple settings* to cover this range so you guys will be able to adjust your chroma in all games simply by setting your eye relief correctly in the Config Util.

Personally when I adjust either the IPD or eye relief I can't notice any difference in the chroma. I think you are talking about minor tweaks when the issues we are having are major shifts with the chroma. I'd be very surprised if the amount of chroma I'm seeing is a result of IPD and Eye Relief when both of which I have the default values you've spoke of. I honestly think there is something else at play here.

I wonder if you could give an example of how much perceived chroma shift you would expect with the eye relief fully extended?

Thanks
David

evildoer
Explorer
i dont get it. its said that the full correction is designed for the full distance from the lens. that would be a 1.0x multiplier.

and close to the lens is a 0.75x multiplier.

wouldnt medium distance be between those two numbers? at around 0.875x ? where does 0.45x come in?

knapman
Explorer
Just so its clear, I get fairly severe aberration while it is set to the ideal near maximum eye relief, and an adjustment of around 0.70 is still much improved at this relief setting
System: i5-3570k / GTX 670 / 8GB / Xonar DGX / Win7 64bit

brantlew
Adventurer
"thekiwimaddog" wrote:
Personally when I adjust either the IPD or eye relief I can't notice any difference in the chroma.

Are you talking about adjusting the eye relief in the Config Util? If so, then no the current SDK doesn't do anything yet with this operation but it will soon. Mechanically however, you should be able to adjust the dials on the side of the headset and watch chroma change dynamically (I would advise trying to keep your head still and do this while wearing the headset). I would estimate that there is a good 2 or 3 degree difference in chroma separation in the periphery between min and max physical eye relief.

"evildoer" wrote:
i dont get it. its said that the full correction is designed for the full distance from the lens. that would be a 1.0x multiplier.

and close to the lens is a 0.75x multiplier.

wouldnt medium distance be between those two numbers? at around 0.875x ? where does 0.45x come in?

You're right, I was thinking backwards and that's my bad. 🙂

I can tell you that I've tried the 0.75 setting and it looks pretty darn good at about 8mm eye relief, while the stock setting looks best at about 15 - 18mm. It's not surprising that we have values all over the map here. Chroma is REALLY sensitive to positioning. You have to be super careful getting the lenses vertically centered and even then there is going to be a lot of natural variance due to everybody's eye-sockets being different depths, strap tightness variance, finicky mechanical dials, ... not to mention IPD variance. Just today I was really looking at this chroma issue closely and having some inconsistent results. It turns out I was looking left for one test and looking right in another test. Since my left eye socket is 1.5 mm deeper than my right eye socket this was enough to throw things off!! That's the level of sensitivity we are dealing with.

JFlynn
Honored Guest
"brantlew" wrote:
Chroma is REALLY sensitive to positioning. You have to be super careful getting the lenses vertically centered and even then there is going to be a lot of natural variance due to everybody's eye-sockets being different depths, strap tightness variance, finicky mechanical dials, ... not to mention IPD variance. Just today I was really looking at this chroma issue closely and having some inconsistent results. It turns out I was looking left for one test and looking right in another test. Since my left eye socket is 1.5 mm deeper than my right eye socket this was enough to throw things off!!

With variance like that -- difference between eyesockets etc -- don't we need to be able to dial in the aberration settings per eye ourselves, by looking at the results, rather than deriving from the dial settings?