cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloning Rift to second Monitor?

Nedo
Explorer
Hi there,
my DK2 works, extended Mode works fine when Rift set to primary Monitor.
I like to Demo the DK2 soon, the Problem is, cloning Rift to the second Monitor dont work,
because of the Potrait Mode of the Rift the second Monitor is 90° turned.
What can i do, is there any workaround? When Demoing the Rift People like to see on the
second Monitor whats going on in the Rift.

Thanks for any help!
Nedo
Order DK1 Mar 30, 2013 / Order DK2: Mar 19, 2014 / Order CV1: Jan 6, 2016 / Order HTC Vive Feb 29, 2016
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
You should have an option on the Windows desktop to flip the 2nd monitor.

Right click the desktop and click Screen resolution there should be an orientation option to allow you to flip the screen.

Nedo
Explorer
Thank you V8Griff, but this dont work,
when cloning, allways one Monitor is rotated (potrait mode), no matter if i rotate it before cloning.
Anyone else a idea??
Order DK1 Mar 30, 2013 / Order DK2: Mar 19, 2014 / Order CV1: Jan 6, 2016 / Order HTC Vive Feb 29, 2016

rafffel
Honored Guest
i have trying same thing and can't get it proprely too due to portrait usage of dk2.

It's due to firmware? or driver of screen maybe

Nedo
Explorer
I found this on reddit:

Due to the orientation of the DK2's panel refresh, you cannot clone the DK2 with a normal monitor. During demo sessions, Oculus were using a HDMI 'splitter' with an FPGA inside that actively rotated the video stream for mirroring.

Your best bet is to wait for more demos to be compiled to work in Direct Mode, which will provide a software mirror on your monitor.

So it looks like we need such an HDMI splitter 😕

andywhiteley
Honored Guest
I want to split the HDMI signal to a second monitor to show off Oculus demos etc. though most games and demos don't support mirroring on the primary monitor.
I bought a standard HDMI splitter to try and can vouch that it doesn't work.
This is because the Oculus monitor is rotated through 90 degrees. The splitter would need a way of internally rotating the signal, as the standard one outputs either two landscape OR two portrait images, not both.

Other threads on the same topic
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12575&p=180973&hilit=hdmi+splitter#p180973
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=13457&p=179450&hilit=hdmi+splitter#p179450
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12124&p=162064&hilit=hdmi+splitter#p162064

Oculus will hopefully release a splitter for our requirements.

adamsteinbok
Honored Guest
Hey all, I've figured out a way to 'clone' the DK2's display:
Install Open Broadcaster (https://obsproject.com/)
Open your game/demo.
Add the game to a scene in OBS and start preview.
Right click the preview and under 'Projector' select the monitor you want the Rift cloned to.
It's a dirty workaround, but it works well enough.

AntDX316
Honored Guest
"andywhiteley" wrote:
I want to split the HDMI signal to a second monitor to show off Oculus demos etc. though most games and demos don't support mirroring on the primary monitor.
I bought a standard HDMI splitter to try and can vouch that it doesn't work.
This is because the Oculus monitor is rotated through 90 degrees. The splitter would need a way of internally rotating the signal, as the standard one outputs either two landscape OR two portrait images, not both.

Other threads on the same topic
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12575&p=180973&hilit=hdmi+splitter#p180973
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=13457&p=179450&hilit=hdmi+splitter#p179450
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12124&p=162064&hilit=hdmi+splitter#p162064

Oculus will hopefully release a splitter for our requirements.

my BenQ monitor can be rotated physically

would it work? with what you have or is the screen black?