cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloud saves

UrLocalTesco
Honored Guest

I recently factory resetted my oculus quest 2 and It said my games would save to the cloud. So I have just set mine back up and redownload my games but none of my game data has saved. Does anyone know how to get the data back or is it lost forever?

11 REPLIES 11

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, we're glad you were able to see about our Cloud Backup feature, but it sounds like something didn't quite go as expected. First, we'd suggest you try rebooting your headset. If your data was saved, sometimes the headset just needs a quick reboot to get it all back properly!

If that doesn't work, your game data may not have been successfully saved. If this is the case, unfortunately, we don't have a way to recover the previous progress and data. Once Cloud Backup is enabled, you'll want to check that your data was fully backed up. Additionally, not all apps support this feature. You can follow the steps here to check what apps you have that are backed up, as well as when they were.

If for some reason your data wasn't saved before your factory reset but it says it was, we want to invite you to send this in as a bug report. You can find the steps to report a bug in our public support article. We want to make sure this doesn't happen again for you or any other user.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi again! We're just checking in to see if you were able to try that reboot we suggested, and if it helped. Just let us know if you need any further assistance. We're here for you!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

michaelcawood
Protege

Same here. Walkabout Minigolf restored after firing it up twice as I think it uses a different system. But the games that use the official cloud save don't seem to have recovered any save data. So all progress presumably lost on all games. However I know that my games all saved to the cloud. I checked this page https://secure.oculus.com/my/cloud-backup/ and the vast majority were all there. I even went in to every game before factory resting to ensure it had a fresh backup and waited a day for it to show up on this page. It was all there and still is. But it's not clear how and when to expect it to restore the cloud saves. If I start playing a game now, I'm concerned it's saving new data over the previous progress and destroying the previous progress. I have tried the reboot and filed a ticket.

I've enabled cloud saves several months ago but when I check the cloud save link I see all my games and whether or not each one supports cloud saves but I never see that anything has actually been saved.  I have heard that you need to put your Quest in sleep/standby mode for a few hours to have this happen so I'll give this a go later.  Too bad there isn't a simple cloud sync option like other OS systems/browsers have.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Upon further investigation, most of the games did restore the cloud save, it was just the first few I checked that did not. Once I learned that the restore process happens when you re-download the game it was easier to track down which ones were the problems. So... Space Pirate Trainer did not restore on the first re-install... but by uninstalling and re-installing again, it worked. 1 down. Walkabout I've already mentioned... it works after you restart the game for the second time after the re-install. Skyworld, however, did not restore any save data. I had to start again.

Guardian666
Explorer

Did it restore the found golf balls and clubs?

You're referring to Walkabout.... yes it did, after you restart the game a second time and wait a moment. Walkabout appears to use a different system.

Thanks for the info.  I wouldn't want to do a factory reset and lose all the balls and clubs. I managed to get all the balls and clubs to all holes. I had some tech issues with the Oculus in the past and refused to do a factory reset.

michaelcawood
Protege

Walkabout Minigolf will recover from a factory reset just fine. There are other games that won't, so it really shouldn't be the action that's advised for most problems... but it does seem to be the number one go-to suggestion from support.