cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complete breakdown of Oculus installation - now can't even repair/reinstall as download gets stuck

Vrgear1972
Protege
New PC, built from the ground up. Fresh install of Windows 10, all updated.

Installed Oculus client. Installed many games to non-C drive locations Played games.

Attempted to download more Oculus games from my library, got "Unable to download" error. Ran repair of Oculus client, which completely broke things, as now it can't even redownload the client, gets stuck and eventually times out with a "Your network isn't working" type error.

Set Oculus exclusions on Defender and Malwarebytes. No difference.
Uninstalled Malwarebytes. No difference.
Turned off active scanning on Defender. No difference.
Deleted all Oculus related folders/files, manually. No difference.
Tried Google DNS. No difference.

Everything else on this PC is working. I just cannot now get Oculus client reinstalled, as the setup gets "Stuck" on the download.

Any ideas?
23 REPLIES 23

Vrgear1972
Protege
Following this up, i've uninstalled/safe mode/registry clear down managed to get the client back installed and onto a different drive than C.

Installed the first game I tried, no issue. Every other game fails to install in exactly the same way as before though. The /Downloads folder in the Oculus install location has tons of 'Partial Download' 0k files, along with a bunch of other files that have content.

This is all after completely uinstalling Malwarebytes, so only Defender is now running.

Watching the /Downloads location, when I click to install a game, I do see a folder created initially for the game but this is then removed and replaced with these files.

Also changed the OculusClient.exe to run as Admin, no difference.

Vrgear1972
Protege
Hilariously, trying again today (10am GMT), without making any changes, everything is downloading flawlessly. Currently about 30 out of 56 installs of games, all successful.

The behaviour last night felt a lot like a service problem, like the installations couldn't validate the hash or something. I rather suspect Oculus isn't able to cope with current demand.

Edit: Scratch that, after installing about 32 games, the rest have now failed in the same way.

Vrgear1972
Protege
Right, so all this is pointing towards a service problem on their end. The Oculus client is now showing "Some features of the Oculus platform may be temporarily unavailable". 

Does anyone know if there's an up status page somewhere, to review the state of things?

Vrgear1972
Protege
Thanks. Says its up, yet again trying to install the client and the logs say this...

[Warning] [24/12/2020 13:03:29] Download attempt 1 failed!
System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: Response status code does not indicate success: 429 (-).
   at System.Net.Http.HttpResponseMessage.EnsureSuccessStatusCode()
   at Daybreak.Net.Networker.<GetStream>d__10.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Daybreak.Net.FileDownloader.<DownloadFile>d__5.MoveNext()

Over and over again until the installer says there's a network issue (which, of course, there isn't at my end).

Vrgear1972
Protege
Definitely not my gaming PC. Can't install the client on a different PC in the same house, fails in exactly the same way.

Distinctivebein
Explorer
I am having the same issue. I just hooked up my headset last night. I pre-installed the software last month. Downloaded a couple games and they worked fine. Then tried downloading another, and it would not, requested refund, tried another new game, FAIL. Uninstalled Oculus, tried to reinstall and then it gets stuck on downloading.

Reinstalled windows from SCRATCH, updated all drivers, updated windows. Tried installing Oculus... SAME EXACT ISSUE, stops at downloading then error's out saying check connection. I have a 1 GIG fiber connection at my house. My error log reflects the same.

Let me know if you fix this. I have wasted hours of my time trying to get the damn APP to reinstall...... On Christmas for GOD SAKES!

Distinctivebein
Explorer
[Warning] [12/25/2020 1:51:27 PM] Download attempt 5 failed!
System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: Response status code does not indicate success: 429 (-).
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
[Warning] [12/25/2020 1:51:27 PM] Download attempt 5 failed!

Distinctivebein
Explorer
12f4jwgl0hox.png