cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control smoothing issues on Oculus Link and Air Link

Mad_Max_75
Protege

I am still impressed with the performance of Air Link, especially in the simracing games of which I am a regular.

But I have run into a serious problem when it comes to playing games where grip and quick touches are necessary.

Shooting games like Contractors VR.

Picking up and throwing objects is very imprecise and tricky, and when you try to shoot quickly with semi-automatic weapons, some of the pulsations are lost.

This has never happened to me with Virtual Desktop, so it is a problem that only happens to me with Air Link

The problem is widespread and occurs with both Cable Link and Air link. It also affects a multitude of other games as I could see in the following Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/my6xg5/oculus_link_input_smoothing_aka_trigger_delaygrab/

Is there a way to reduce or eliminate this smoothing of the controls?

Any settings that I can disable?

I am very excited about Air Link in simracing, but in this other type of shooter it is very infuriating and I prefer Virtual Desktop, which works very well for me.

I would like to use Air Link for everything and forever.

I leave you a small video where you can see the problem discussed.

Greetings.

17 REPLIES 17

Mad_Max_75
Protege

Almost a week after posting this post, which has apparently been seen by some people, still doesn't have even a single answer, as more and more users are realizing the problem when using Air Link with games that require grabbing, throwing, or press the trigger repeatedly.

How to interpret this silence?

1. We did not know, we are watching what happens.
  2. We knew about the problem, but we don't know how to solve it.
  3. We knew it or we didn't know it, but we don't care anyway.

Maybe it's just my thing, but the great illusion I felt when trying Air Link in simracing vanished when trying other games and that is why I continue to use Virtual Desktop for all of them, while I wait for an answer, a simple "we are working on that" or a "That's right and it will never be solved" would be fine, I don't know ... something no matter how small.

Regards.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same problem here. Dont know how to fix it, please help us

ColeTrickle28
Honored Guest

We hope that it will be solved soon, there are many of us with the same problem.

Mad_Max_75
Protege

There are already users who have managed to modify SteamVR to solve the problem, as can be seen in this Reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/nhbn0l/oculus_steamvr_trigger_smoothingdelay_fix/

Why is Oculus silent on the matter?
Is it a "minor" problem compared to what that delay / smoothing hides?
Can canceling it create other more "serious" problems?

Would it cost so much an option where you can regulate or disable this smoothing and that each user decides?

What is clear is that it is a problem that prevents us from using Air Link for games where catching and launch or performing fast repetitions with the trigger.

Luckily we have the option of Virtual Desktop until Oculus pronounces or simply gives us a solution or reason.

TrogdorsBeefyArm
Explorer

How do we get someone from Oculus to pay attention to this severe bug? It makes some games unplayable with Link. I doubt that's what they want or intended but despite all the people talking about it there hasn't been any official acknowledgement of the issue. It's not like it's a subtle bug, it's pretty obvious... I noticed it almost instantly with the first game I played via Link.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Sorry but I do not see any extra grip latency with my Q2 using 120Hz and either Link or Air Link.  I actually see more grip problems (like sticky fingers) with Virtual Desktop (also at 120Hz). 

One of the best games to see this on is ToyBox.  I know it's a silly kids game but it came free with my original Rift cv1 full kit w/touch controllers and it seems to demonstrate this best.  All you need to do is try the different Q2 wired and wireless systems to see the differences very quickly.  Q2 with my official Link cable is only very slightly better than Air Link and hardly worth mentioning.  On the other hand, Virtual Desktop is terrible (after you grip something once and pick it up again it will not release).  I have discussed this with the VD developer and he has admitted that because he has to do his own version of Oculus sdk it will not always be perfect.  This is generally not as big a problem with SteamVR.  However, w/VD you are unable to use ASW or ODT settings because VD cannot access/use this.

I suspect that the main reasons some are reporting problems are probably due to a combination of poor router/wifi setups, low end potato PC's, and too high graphics settings.

Gets a bit depressing having some people always laying the blame on Oculus.  For sure there are things to improve (always is) but to make out like this is a major problem(s) is a bit silly imho.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Mad_Max_75
Protege

I'm happy for you, because you are the first user to do the tests and not notice the problem.
Have you tried any of the dozens of games that are reported in the Reddit thread?

That the reason is your excellent PC, could influence, but I do not think so. The problems, at least in Contractors, have been reported by a well-known YouTuber with a powerful PC.

Anyway, you are not correct in stating that the problem is from people with poorly configured or poorly  equipment, since if for a single user to report that they have no errors, they have to have a 9900k and an RTX 3090, then it is their fault. from Oculus that hasn't done the job well for the rest of the world with normal gear.

In any case, Oculus has little trouble showing up on its forum and responding to a serious and widespread problem.
Why do not they do it? My opinion is because this "little problem" is part or necessary consequence for other functionalities. ASW? I don't know, because Oculus doesn't say anything.
Greetings.

@Mad_Max_75 Ya, I've tried most pcvr games out there.  One big advantage of having a VivePort Infinity subscription, lol!

I'm sure my fairly beefy PC helps, as does my very good router/wifi setup.  However, even with this I need to use the right settings in order to get the best results.  For example, with Air Link my current settings are; 120Hz refresh rate, 120mbps fixed bitrate, 1.4x encoding res, OTT SS=1.0 and ASW=off.  SteamVR all at 100% SS (pixel density).  If you have lower PC specs I suggest you start off with lower encoding res and also lower refresh rates.

If you want to believe everything you read on reddit and the odd Y-tuber that's up to you.  If, after everything you still feel there is a problem with Oculus software then let them know by starting up a Support ticket and follow through with it.  Both Air Link and 120Hz refresh rates are currently Experimental so it's likely that some will have problems with this right now.  There are way too many pc systems out there for it to be perfect for everyone.  The only way to improve on this is to let Oculus Support know so they can work on future fixes.  Don't expect them, or any VR developer to respond to whinny forum complaints. 

Virtual desktop has been a godsend for many of us.  I've used it for about 1.5 years now and still do with my Q1.  However, with the great results I'm getting with all my PCVR games/sims using 120Hz Airlink, my official Link cable, my Q1, and Vive Pro are starting to collect a little dust, lol!

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Mad_Max_75
Protege

I understand you, but I do not follow the trends of a Reddit thread, I came to that thread (Actually there are several and in one of them a user has been able to modify SteamVR to solve it, but not from Oculus) looking for the solution to the problem that I noticed when switch from Virtual Desktop to Air Link, that's why I opened this thread.
I have also been a user of VD and Oculus for a long time from my CV1, also, until now I used the Quest 2 by cable link for simracing, so you can guess that in terms of optimization and configuration of the equipment to get the best performance, I am not a newbie, in fact, I have in my simracing community an extensive thread about all the configuration possibilities starting with Windows until reaching the simulator itself, going through Oculus Home, ODT, SteamVR or the Nvidia Panel.

As for waiting for Oculus to respond to me in this thread, I know it is unlikely, but at the same time I find it wrong that they have an official forum with a thread called "Support" and that they do not deign to write a simple sentence cut the problem.

Anyway, I have a Ryzen 7 3800x with 16GB of RAM and a GTX 1080 mounted on an Asus ROG Strix B550-F motherboard and a Xiaomi AX1800 Router connected directly to the PC and dedicated only for Quest 2.
I don't think it's bad equipment, it just needs better graphics obviously, so if I have to wait for stock and normal 3000 series prices, I have a problem.