cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controller Drift

JaxsonTiger
Honored Guest

My son has an Oculus Quest 2 and has been having issues with the analog sticks on both controllers drifting. I have read that this is a common issue. What can I do to address this?

6 REPLIES 6

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, we wanted to chime in and offer you some help in getting the controllers to behave. We recommend first cleaning them thoroughly using a dry cloth or non-abrasive anti-bacterial wipes. Don’t use alcohol or an abrasive cleaning solution. After the cleaning process, go ahead and reset the controllers by removing the batteries for no less than 20 minutes. 

Proceed in pairing the controllers after replacing the batteries. Should your son still experience drift after these steps please click here https://metaque.st/CommunitySupport or on our name to get to our profile page, then click "Send a Message" to privately contact us. Please remember, you must be signed into the community first to send us a private message. We're here to help!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

PITTCANNA
Visionary

ToasterToastingToast
Honored Guest

(Just to be clear, I am not an expert with this stuff.)

With my experience, normally stick drift is caused by grime build up inside of the analog stick. I cleaned mine with 91% Isopropyl alcohol and q-tips.
(FINAL SOLUTION IF NOTHING ELSE WORKS)

1. you need to take out the battery and leave the battery cover off.
2. take off the black cover on the top of the controller by using your nails or possibly a flathead screw drive (do this slowly and carefully)

3. Take the top part off the analog stick. Should come off with a little pull. Underneath should be the analog stick's mechanism.

4. Now for the cleaning portion, open the alcohol's bottle and dip the q-tip in.

5. Rub the q-tip on the black parts inside the mechanism (make sure to move it around while doing this, and to not use too much alcohol.)

6. Rotate the stick around for a few seconds until you feel confident. 

7. let it dry for an hour or two

8. Put the top part of the analog stick back on.

9. put the black cover back on aswell, should pop right back on. 
10. enjoy not having stick drift or some other related problems for a bit.

Artyom-V2X
Honored Guest

Let's pray Meta doesn't ban me for posting this.

Here's a full joystick replacement guide for the last last resort.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Oculus+Quest+2+Joystick+Module+Replacement/164249

Ain't really breaking any rules sharing this info, however, it's good to let others know doing this type of thing may void warranty. Just something to keep in mind!

In the time of your life, live - so that in that wondrous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it.

P.S., I can beat you at One Piece TCG and Black Desert Online.

It's listed on the guide, but thanks for letting users who haven't read the guide know!

image_2023-09-26_144411455.png