cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DK2 capped at 60fps on Macbook.

nomad512
Explorer
[url]I've been using the DK2 on both a Windows machine and a Macbook pro since the first batches were shipped out. I have never had any trouble getting 75fps on either machine, until recently I noticed I can't get above 60fps on my Macbook. The only change to my system that I can imagine could have contributed to the problem is the recent upgrade to 0.4.4 runtime. However the problem persists after rolling back to 0.4.3.

Demos which previous ran at 75fps are capping at 60. The ConfigUtil demo scene also shows significant judder.

I'm also noticing a very strange bleeding at the edges of the screen which I haven't seen before. By that I mean, while turning the display, rows of pixels from the opposite edge of the frame are being drawn as if wrapping around. Please see these screencaps for a better explanation:
screencap1
screencap2

My setup:
Macbook Pro (Mid 2012)
Nvidia GeForce GT 650M
OS X 10.9.5
OVR Runtime 0.4.4
Mirrored displays... "optimized for Rift"... Refresh rate: 75hz
4 REPLIES 4

cybereality
Grand Champion
The vignette bleeding issue has been fixed and will be out in a future release.

The 60Hz thing may be an interaction with your monitor. You say you are using mirror mode, but I don't believe this should work. From what I understand, it should be in extended desktop mode (at least it's like this on Windows).
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

nomad512
Explorer
Thanks very much for your reply, cybereality.

Mirror mode has actually been the only way I've successfully run demos on OS X in the past. This seems to be the general consensus as just about every setup guide for DK2+OSX suggests it. Does OculusVR have any official setup protocol for DK2 on OSX? Do you know of any collected reference of Nvidia driver compatibility with OVR Runtimes?

cybereality
Grand Champion
You may be right. I don't use OSX that much these days, so I'm not deeply familiar.

I don't see any OSX faqs, but that's probably a good idea.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

zenodub
Honored Guest
I just got my DK2 and trying to use it on this mid 2014 mbp retina with i7 2.5ghz and 16GB of ram.. When I move my head around in a scene, I experience what I think you are all calling "judder" -

It's quite annoying, and I haven't seen a fix around for it. I, too, was only able to get demos to work by using Mirror mode.

60fps seemed to help a little, but not much. I'll keep looking around. I'm pretty immersed in the OSX world, so switching to windows doesn't excite me much. I suppose this thing would make a decent door stop... :evil:

JK, I haven't given up yet...

UPDATE: I have gotten it to work on a iMac 27" Retina, mirrored display at 1080p 60hz. hoorah