cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DK2 - no head tracking at all

JasonAhart
Level 2
I've been at this for two whole days. I'm at my wits end. There is no head tracking AT ALL. Period. The only thing that has worked is the test demo scene in the configuration utility. No matter what I try nothing works. Most of the time when I try to run the config utility I get "Oculus VR service is unavailable". There is an unidentified error in Event Viewer as well. I tried the long list of steps Bilago posted in another thread. I followed it 100% and still no head tracking. I'm using games made for the new SDK as well, not older ones. The camera lights up and the headset lights up (extended mode, direct mode sends the video directly to the monitor instead of the Rift). The config utility sees the rift and the camera. I've tried every single USB port on the PC. I don't know what else to do. I've installed and uninstalled the runtime probably 30 times now. Why can I not get head tracking in anything except the config demo?
i5 3570K GeForce 980 GTX 16 GB RAM Windows 7 64bit
42 REPLIES 42

malospam
Level 2
I am stuck here too. I am really angry too because tech support isn't responding. Does anyone know if I can get a new unit or at least get my money back?

JasonAhart
Level 2
I give up. Three entire days of going insane trying to figure this out. How can there only have been two people with this problem?

zookone
Level 2
I'm stuck also. Got my Rift today, but can not get the head tracking to work. Camera LED is not lit. Configuration Utility states No Device Attached. What a total bummer.

I give up... going to bed.

Gypsy816
Level 5
Hi all! Have you tried alternate wires and ports?
Oculus Community Manager - kweh!

malospam
Level 2
Of course, I've tried every possible thing out there mentioned on the forums.

JasonAhart
Level 2
I have tried alternate USB ports. No matter which one I use, no head tracking. I should note the following:

Some have said never use USB 3.0 ports but my computer was just recently built and there are literally no USB 2.0 ports on the thing. USB 3 is my only option.

Some have mentioned Logitech devices causing conflicts so my next step is to try getting rid of my Logitech VX Nano mouse and see what happens.

I also have a Logitech G27 steering wheel but i seriously don't feel like uninstalling that so I hope that's not it. Surely it can't be when I see videos of people using it with the rift and Euro Truck Sim 2.

Other than the mouse I just don't know what else to try at this point. I understand that head tracking wouldn't work with games compiled for SDK3. That makes sense. But I can't get any SDK4 games to work. The Oculus Config Utility shows both my headset and camera as recognized and working. Both the headset and camera are lit blue. I frequently get the OculusVR service is unavailable error when trying to open the config utility though. I have to manually stop and restart the service and config utility about 10 times to get it to finally notice the headset and camera. When it does and they both light up blue I can run the test demo scene in the config utility and I have head tracking but I do NOT have positional tracking. That's what is weird though, I get head tracking in the config demo scene but no head tracking at all in any SDK 4 apps. If it works in the demo scene (the blue room with the big Oculus VR sign) why would it not work in any SDK4 games?

JasonAhart
Level 2
"zookone" wrote:
I'm stuck also. Got my Rift today, but can not get the head tracking to work. Camera LED is not lit. Configuration Utility states No Device Attached. What a total bummer.

I give up... going to bed.

manually stop and restart the Oculus service and then the config utility. Yo will probably have to do this nonstop about 10 times before it finally actually works. Most likely it will only work temporarily though.

malospam
Level 2
yeah same with me with the usb 3.0 issue. i bought a 4000$ alienware laptop system so i could optimally run oculus games and develop for it also. and here i am like an idiot with the new oculus headset and minus 4000$ for nothing. this sucks, i feel like throwing my laptop across the room......

JasonAhart
Level 2
I doubt the USB 3 thing is actually an issue. I think people that thought that was their issue were actually having issues with how much power the ports were supplying or something. If USB 3 really is an issue then there will surely be an update to address that. If USB 2 is actually a requirement that's just odd. Why not require XP while we're at it. :lol: