cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defective lenses

steveoz32
Expert Protege
CV1 turned up today, just had a try and there is a mark on the left lense on the outer edge.It looks like a ding in the inside of it since the surface is smooth.

Bit of a killer as I can see it all the time and if I look ar certain angles it shows as a giant white / silver blob.

Raised a support ticket but not sure how it will be dealt with, are they shipping replacement lenses?

5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
they'll send you a new rift

RobHermans
Superstar
I suggest you get some really clear images like this:

to show the defect, and add that to your support ticket. Oculus will not replace your HMD unless they are convinced that it is indeed a manufacturing fault.

(image used to show suggested quality, from this thread by @Blyss4226 https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/34883/headaches-from-cv1-godrays-how-bad-are-they-sup... )

steveoz32
Expert Protege
Well, I noticed it as soon as I put it on, it's on the far left of the left lens.

In a bright scene it can be seen badly, how did you take that picture? I am having a hard time trying to get a picture of the mark in the lens.

My lenses are otherwise spotless, I only took the cover off of them an hour or so ago and noticed it right away.

I don't want to return the whole unit, just need lenses, surely they can be easily replaced?

RobHermans
Superstar

steveoz32 said:
...how did you take that picture? I am having a hard time trying to get a picture of the mark in the lens...
As I stated, the image is from a thread by @Blyss4226 , you would have to ask him (I don't have my Rift yet, and I'm not very good with cameras).
steveoz32 said:
...I don't want to return the whole unit, just need lenses, surely they can be easily replaced?
No, the HMD is made from "non user-servicable parts". Oculus will only replace the whole unit, not parts. One look at the ifixit teardown video will tell you that you won't want to start opening that thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfZx_jthHM4

Blyss4226
Rising Star
I just used my digital camera(and it's not a very good one - 12 MP Canon point and shoot) and a flashlight. I used a flashlight to illuminate the lens so the camera could focus on it better, and then just took a picture normally. It took a few tries.

FYI for my defect they said "It was to be expected" and that no action was necessary if it didn't affect the image. In my case, it truly doesn't so I let it be. But if it does, I would definitely hassle them about it until you get results!
Gaming: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz | R9 290 | 16GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 1 TB HDD Server: AMD FX 6300 @ 4.4Ghz | GT 610 | 8GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 320GB HDD