cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropping A LOT of Frames in Oculus Link (Cable)

michaelcody07
Level 2

Despite having what I thought would be a decent-enough PC to run games over Link with my Quest 2, I just constantly drop frames and it makes the experience unplayable. I have checked the service.txt files and get the error:

Code: -6100 -- ovrError_XRStreamingGeneralIssue
                        Description: Frame 74885 dropped due to encoder backup

Specs: Ryzen 3700x

EVGA RTX 2070 Super black

24g of ram 3600mhz

MPG B550 Gaming Plus

When I try the USB test on Oculus, I get 3.6gb.

This issue has gotten worse and worse in the last few months and now playing PC games on my Quest 2 is not doable. I have tried changing the resolution down to 0.7, which is the lowest I can go, and I still drop frames just the same. I have tried many different options on Nvidia control panel, tried turning off my overclocks and GPU acceleration, different cables and ports, turning the processes OVRserver_x64.exe, vrserver.exe, vrcompositor.exe, and the game I am mainly trying to play's exe (Into the Radius), fiddled around with oculus debug tool, etc.... Please suggest anything at this point, I have been trying for days

3 REPLIES 3

OculusSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey, michaelcody07! We want you to have a smooth and fun gameplay experience, so if you could please make sure that you're using our link cable for the best possible gameplay. If you're still experiencing these issues while using the Oculus Link, we will link an article here to help you when experiencing performance issues with the Oculus Link. For any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Yeah, this didn't help at all. I need serious technical help, not a bot telling me to turn it off and on again. This is a serious issue and I'm not happy about it at all. I purchased the Quest 2 with the idea that I would be able to play PCVR games and now half the point of why I bought the device doesn't work.

Hey there, michaelcody07! Lets see what we can do, please try theses steps out to see if you notice any changes:

• Check for graphics driver updates
    • Here are some links to Nvidia and AMD driver update support pages!
  • Repair your Oculus PC software
    • Go to www.oculus.com/setup scroll down to Oculus Rift S and click Download software.
    • Select Repair.
      • If Windows asks you if you’re sure you want to open this file, click Yes.
      • If Windows Defender prompts Windows protected your PC, click More info and then click Run anyway.
      • If your antivirus software restricts the file from opening, temporarily disable your AV and continue.
      • Please remember to re-enable your antivirus software once you've completed the repair.
    • Allow the repair process to run, download and install.
    • Launch the Oculus PC app.
  • Check for Oculus driver updates
    1. Close the Oculus app.
    2. Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the Run command.
    3. Enter C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-drivers.
    4. Open oculus-driver.
    5. Open the Oculus app and then try to connect your headset again.

We hope these steps workout! If not, please submit a support ticket with your Log files attached. Follow the link here to submit your support ticket: https://metaque.st/Support! If the articles don't help out, please click "this didn't solve my issue" to start an email or chat conversation! Below are the steps to collect your log files:

1. Open the Run window (Windows key + R).
  2. Enter and run: C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusLogGatherer.exe
    • The above link is the default directory. Bear in mind that if you installed the Oculus PC app to another drive you will need to update the command with the correct file path.
  3. Select the checkbox next to ‘Full logs’.
  4. Select "1 day" from the "Collect last" drop down list.
  5. Wait for the log collection to finish. This can take some time to complete.
  6. The program will automatically generate a zip file containing your logs, which will be saved to your desktop automatically.
  7. Attach the newly created zip file to your next support response.

Have a wonderful rest of your day!