cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature request for visual accessibility (zoom button)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Oculus Team,

i'm one of the many bad sighted gamers out there. My eyes are so bad (< 10% right, < 1% left) that standard glasses doesn't help anymore. For standard displays i can use my magnifiers and binoculars but in VR Headset that's not an option.

So my gaming experience depends on a good accessibility of the visual components especially the menus. I have a very hard time reading menus if they have a fixed position in the world that i can't get close enough to, and i mean nose-to-screen-close.

A very helpful feature for this problem would be holding or pressing a button combination to zoom in the visible picture by 2x or 4x or in steps by pressing multiple times r something similar.

Some menus are so badly implemented that even people with standard sight have a hard time to read them.

Please consider implementing such a feature globally in your Oculus Home Software to make it usable in every VR Software. Because i can't even read the menus in Oculus Home ... i have to put down the Headset und read the text with a magnifier in the normal display in the Oculus Mirror App ...

I guess i'm not the only one that would have a good use for such a feature that would make the VR life much easier and even more awesome.

Cheers,
Teldan
20 REPLIES 20

Suchokrates
Honored Guest

I'm also low vision and waiting for some magnifaing glass function or even possibility to take menu realy close to me. It's realy uncomfortable to read all thing on another screen.

Cliff_G
Protege

I just got the Quest 2 today and was excited to use it, until I realized there are no accessibility options to enlarge text, or zoom in. I had read where accessibility and multitasking were added and didn't really look into it any further. Very disappointed at the moment, but guess I'll get someone to get me past the setup phase of it and maybe I can  get some enjoyment out of it until options previously mentioned are added. Hopefully it won't be long!

Nekto2
Superstar

Zoom feature is not so straight forward in VR because of sim sickness it could induce.

May be some "chromecast like streaming" but inside virtual window in VR will do?

Or you could use chromecast/streaming to a TV (or tablet?) and then use it to read text? (you could cover proximity sensor so it will not turn off)

I can see where zoom being active all the time could be an issue for motion sickness, but allowing it  on an as needed basis just long enough to read the menu and then return to normal, similar to how on FPS games have zoom on rifles to aim at an opponent across the map.

I actually ordered a Chromecast and it is being delivered tomorrow, maybe that'll help a little.

Also I found some accessibility options in the settings area that allows to increase font size but it only applies to the universal menu text. I've found that some games allow walking up closer to menus in some cases its helpful but not always. It depends on the users vision.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Cliff_G
Protege

I figured a bit of a work around to being able to read the menus and game text and it is what I've been doing. 

What I do is make my guardian boundaries as big as possible even making it in different shapes to allow as much walk space in the VR environment as possible. I've even moved furniture back to allow for more floor coverage. 

Then in the game I get to the far side of the boundary opposite of where I want the game to be displayed. This makes it so that the menus and text screen are closer to the boundary side where the game will be displayed. Then I reset the  menu/game view . Now I can walk right up to the menu or game text and read it much better. So far it has worked pretty well and you can tweak it a bit by resetting the view so that what area you are trying to read is closer to the boundary needed.

Hope this made sense and that it is helpful!

Great idea!

May be it helps to make a screenshot and zoom it then as another way? (if internal web browser could open those images and zoom them)

I tried taking a screenshot and opening it in the VR camera roll, but it doesn't have zoom in functionality.

Hey there, thanks for contributing to this thread. We understand this is a feature that the community is asking for and we are always looking for ways to improve the Oculus experience! The best place to voice this would be here

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

I have reached out via the link provided. Thank you!

Blindjew
Explorer

Hi there! Legally blind user, here, and this would be a godsend for me. I can't read any of the menus, really, often having to rely on removing the headset or simply asking my wife to read the stream out to me. A zooming option would be excellent, like using both secodnary triggers to expand and shrink the view much like in various games. I've tried moving closer to menus, but there's also the whiting out of the menus when you get too close to them, negating any benefit from getting close enough to try reading. I'd put off getting a headset for some time due to lack of funds/fiscal viability, but I finally got one, and it might be too late due to degeneration of the eyes. This would TOTALLY make the purchase even more worthwhile.