cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix for Sensor Disconnection Issue

cybereality
Grand Champion
We've just started rolling out a possible fix for the repeated sensor disconnection issue. This is a problem that could cause the sensor to disconnect while idle on certain hardware configurations. Although we had some trouble reproducing the exact problem in our lab, we have a good idea of what the core issue was and believe it may be resolved.

Some customers have already received the update, and everyone else should have it within a few hours. The update should happen automatically, but you'll have to just unplug and replug the sensor to reset its state.

I'd recommend people wait until later this evening to test and see if the fix actually resolves their issue. Either way, please report back so we can understand if the fix was a success. Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
304 REPLIES 304

Gwiz84
Heroic Explorer
So without having read this really long thread I just wanted to share my experience and why I think the sensor issues is power related.

When I first connected my Rift I couldn't get any of the USB devices to work at all, even though they were plugged in it didn't register them at all. After trying a few things I eventually found out that adding a few volts to my CPU overclock solved this issue entirely.

Recently I trying going down by 0.2 volts on the vcore to see how low I could go with my current overclock. When I used my Rift though I noticed there was a lag issue with the sensor... sometimes my view kinda "jumped" as if the sensor couldn't keep track of what I was doing properly.

I upped the voltage back by 0.2 and noticed this issue dissapeared entirely. So my advice is, if you have any experience overclocking try adding a few 0.2/0.4 to your vcore voltage and see if it doesn't solve your sensor issue.

Just my own personal experience, hope it might help some of you.

mcevoyandrew
Explorer
I have much less problems after the latest build two days ago, but it stills loses connection once a night.

rpico2001
Explorer

DNACowboy said:

Testing

edit. this is REALLY starting to get me down, as soon as I take the Rift off for even a second I get:

p6saq598ft1r.jpg

Somebody knows if the issue has been fixed. I'm having the same problem once and once again. Every day Oculus ruined my races at iRacing or whatever the game i was playing... It really disturbs and i'm getting angry...

Anonymous
Not applicable
After a few disconnects over the last couple of days, today I updated the Intel USB drivers only, this time I did so in Safe Mode and everything seems good so far.

XMerc
Expert Protege
I'm getting a lot fewer disconnects but my sensor is still dropping many frames and reporting many "Camera Frame Truncated" errors in Windows event log. This problem happens on the on board intel USB ports, my ASMEDIA USB 3.1 card, and my Innatek Fresco USB 3.0 card...

Flausn
Expert Protege
its so annoiing...i just get this after 1.8 runtime...fix this yesterday my screen went black 2 times in a hour....i never experienced this problem before...nice update oculus!!!!!!!!

rpico2001
Explorer

deanogur said:

After a few disconnects over the last couple of days, today I updated the Intel USB drivers only, this time I did so in Safe Mode and everything seems good so far.

Can you tell us where to find these drivers? Thank you

Anonymous
Not applicable
In device manager, identify the specific USB controller(s) listed under USB controllers (for example: Intel 8 series/C220 series USB EHCI - in my case); then search for Intel USB drivers directly from the USB-vendor website (Intel in my case) & search downloads for your particular USB controller(s).

Fortunately, the driver version is quite recent so updating again was certainly worth a try but, doing so in safe mode was the only way it would install properly.

Lukesv
Explorer

Lukesv said:

After weeks of tests , i finally found the cause of the sensor disconnections ( at least for my case ) : the sunlight . If I use Rift in the dark, I have no problem . Instead of during the day, with sunlight through the window, disconnections start again . Support asks me to send back the sensor for replacement. I hope this post can help other users with the same problem.

After sensor replacement, i have no more usb disconnections. Finally I can use my Rift in the sunlight.

mcevoyandrew
Explorer

Flausn said:

its so annoiing...i just get this after 1.8 runtime...fix this yesterday my screen went black 2 times in a hour....i never experienced this problem before...nice update oculus!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the club.