cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For Users w/ Black Screen on Rift, Post Logs Here

cybereality
Grand Champion
If you are still experiencing issues with black screens on Rift, please share your log files here. Usually with this issue, Rift will work the first time after a reboot, and then after removing the headset or going idle for a while, the screen in Rift will become black. Restarting your computer or the Oculus service can sometimes temporarily work around this issue. Some users have also had some success with rolling back their video card drivers (for example, to 388.59 on Nvidia). It would be helpful to know if you installed the latest Fall Creators Update, for Windows 10 users. It would also help to know if you are on Rift Core 2.0 or are still using the classic version. Also please note if you have Guardian enabled or disabled. 

See this thread for how to get your LogGatherer zip file.
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-...

Note, the file may be too big to attach to the forum, so you may want to use a hosting service like GoogleDrive, etc.

Your help here will assist us in getting to the bottom of this issue. Thanks a bunch.

EDIT: If you're using an Nvida GPU and are having the black screen issue, it may help to send some files to Nvidia as well. See this thread for details.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1039358/geforce-drivers/requesting-end-user-assistance-with...
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
301 REPLIES 301

Allebc
Explorer
@MAC_MAN86 I tried installing the drivers clicking in this folder, but nothing appears... then I tried to open the Oculus software and it says it was updating the drivers... After some time I could open and searched for the headset drivers but nothing of this RiftDisplay.inf" and still got no connection... But for real, I hope its a problem only with the cable and not the whole headset because they don't ship for my country, so no replacement for me 😞 But I have found someone who sells the cable only... So I'll have to pay just more R$ 400 with taxes to play in VR 😄 (Thats like U$ 109,90 total)
@Gloozy This is a new one!! 😄 I didn't thing of hidden devices!!  I'm so happy that I found something that I haven't tried yet!  I'm at work but soon I get home gonna do it!

magnus_fosdal
Honored Guest
so i have resisted updating my nvidia driver for a good time now and im afraid of updating... because i dont want my rift to get the blackscreen issue and there is a LOT of mixed results on this forum too.. so what should i do?

keep using a really outdated nvidia driver or try and update?

Allebc
Explorer
@magnus.fosdal I suggest to you to keep things as they are if the Oculus is working for you! Because I tried the nvidia drivers 388.59 and it worked for some time. But Support told me to update it to the newest (but its not working... maybe because of other reasons) Oculus isn't a plug and play thing. As you said... I believe that every change results in a different end for each user in here. But I'm not a expert... So if you really wanna try it remember to note every change you do... Hope I could help you.

SBDesign
Honored Guest
thats ur choice surely?

Boneboys
Protege
New troubles with the last Oculus app build, Oculus software, version 1.26.

1: After shutting down Oculus app the taskbar on screen 1 does not work.
2: Black screen in Rift when launching Steam Oculus games (PC2 for example).
The only way to force the rift to work with games is to leave Oculus app running (reduced in the taskbar) when launching a game.
Closing Oculus app will shut down the game without notification.
I have had Oculus app set to Admin status when playing other than Oculus games for near on a year without ever having any issues.
This is not a Nvidia driver problem.
Previous to last Oculus build everything worked perfectly, only after the version 1.26 update did these (new) problems start ( five days).

I had the original "black screen" issue when the trouble started back a good few months ago (check post history if required) which resolved itself using different Nvidia drivers.
The dual monitor / screen taskbar issue is new to me.

I will report back if I find a solution.
Any worthwhile advice would be welcome...
Thanks.
Get a Grasp, get a Grip, get Rifting.

Allebc
Explorer
So here I am again... I tried the above suggestions of @Gloozy and @MAC_MAN86 and it didn't work... I had already given up but support talked to me today! They told me to send the serial number and my address so I can send the Oculus to them to test it and maybe get a replacement. But as I expected this won't work since I live in a country where they don't ship. So... I went to a friend's house who has a nvidia 1070, nothing worked too but then I crossed in to a page about the nvidia drivers and found some consumers having success with the 384.94! I won't give up on my VR!! I just tried this drivers version on my pc and... IT WORKED! I was since 5 May getting just black screen but now it keeps showing the white light! I was so happy... BUT! As the world isn't just sun and flowers... I was about to take my headset in hands and the disconnection began! I looked in the program and as soon as I put the headset in the table and for less than one second before it connects again, a message like this appear: Warning: HMD Connection has poor tracking quality (It was just too fast so I couldn't read it for sure) Anyway...I believe it was something about the drivers first... But now the issue stays in the cable or in my graphics card maybe? (Its a 1060 6GB btw)

Allebc
Explorer
So here I am again... I tried the above suggestions of @Gloozy and @MAC_MAN86 and it didn't work... I had already given up but support talked to me today! They told me to send the serial number and my address so I can send the Oculus to them to test it and maybe get a replacement. But as I expected this won't work since I live in a country where they don't ship. So... I went to a friend's house who has a nvidia 1070, nothing worked too but then I crossed in to a page about the nvidia drivers and found some consumers having success with the 384.94! I won't give up on my VR!! I just tried this drivers version on my pc and... IT WORKED! I was since 6 May getting just black screen but now it keeps connected with the white light! I was so happy... BUT! As the world isn't just sun and flowers... I was about to take my headset in hands and the disconnection began! I looked in the program and as soon as I put the headset in the table for less than one second before it connects again, a message like this appear: Warning: HMD Connection has poor tracking quality (It was just too fast so I couldn't read it for sure) Anyway...I believe it was something about the drivers first... But now the issue stays in the cable or in my graphics card maybe? (Its a 1060 6GB btw)

douggyvegas
Honored Guest
no more solutions?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Allebc said:

Warning: HMD Connection has poor tracking quality (It was just too fast so I couldn't read it for sure) Anyway...

That is to do with the OculusServer is Running but did not get a wake up to connect to the HMD due to the Win10 Update being energy efficient. It can do this anytime at all for any Oculus Device. You need to use RESTART within the Oculus Menu, OR use RESTART OCULUS SERVICE in Debug Tool, OR close all Oculus Tasks in Task Manager then run Oculus, OR REBOOT (the first is best choice but the last also clears your RAM).

ANY Nvidia Driver will work and it's subjective if any are actually better than others. The reports of Black Screens came about during the same time of other issues involving Firmware Updates not completing fully to allow Setup to Work OR other cable/socket pins  problems from standard use of twisted and kinks cables. Some Nvidia Drivers were said to be a problem for some GTX10** Series and it really is not made clear what we should use.

I use what Win10 selects: 388.13 and leave it until when it wants to Update later. Too much of Users testing Drivers going forward/rolling back and cleaning with DDU cause issues with your systems ability to use System Restore. I say just let Windows decide. The Updates are all there to advertise new games!

DaemonWhite
Honored Guest

Been happening since update 1.27 I think. Played rift last week fine, now today I can't do much of anything until either I lose audio and desktop access, or just black screen entirely with no recovery except a reset. Mainly been trying Beat Saber.

Windows 10 1803 Anniversary
i7 4790k Default
RX Vega 64 slight undervolt
16GB DDR3 1333 MHz