cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For Users w/ Black Screen on Rift, Post Logs Here

cybereality
Level 15
If you are still experiencing issues with black screens on Rift, please share your log files here. Usually with this issue, Rift will work the first time after a reboot, and then after removing the headset or going idle for a while, the screen in Rift will become black. Restarting your computer or the Oculus service can sometimes temporarily work around this issue. Some users have also had some success with rolling back their video card drivers (for example, to 388.59 on Nvidia). It would be helpful to know if you installed the latest Fall Creators Update, for Windows 10 users. It would also help to know if you are on Rift Core 2.0 or are still using the classic version. Also please note if you have Guardian enabled or disabled. 

See this thread for how to get your LogGatherer zip file.
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-...

Note, the file may be too big to attach to the forum, so you may want to use a hosting service like GoogleDrive, etc.

Your help here will assist us in getting to the bottom of this issue. Thanks a bunch.

EDIT: If you're using an Nvida GPU and are having the black screen issue, it may help to send some files to Nvidia as well. See this thread for details.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1039358/geforce-drivers/requesting-end-user-assistance-with...
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
301 REPLIES 301

Shiro-kun
Level 2
I got the Oculus Rift and normally it´s working fine but today I got a blackscreen on the Headset. I can also hear the Oculus home and also can connect the controllers so the only problem is the blackscreen. I already reinstalled everything but nothing is working. If anyone know how to fix it please answer me.

Fochs07
Level 3
Hey guys, im posting this here and the NVIDIA  forums... ive had the headset for awhile...but im rapidly coming to the end of my tether.. this black screen and now its flashing static now too... errrrr

Shiro-kun
Level 2
I got the Oculus Rift and normally it´s working fine but today I got a blackscreen on the Headset. I can also hear the Oculus home and also can connect the controllers so the only problem is the blackscreen. I already reinstalled everything but nothing is working. If anyone know how to fix it please answer me.

Fochs07
Level 3
Hey guys, im posting this here and the NVIDIA  forums... ive had the headset for awhile...but im rapidly coming to the end of my tether.. this black screen and now its flashing static now too... errrrr

Silverwolf8
Level 3
So an update after trying different scenarios which people in the forums spoke of and after speaking to Oculus support, sending the logs over for them to look over. Even they do not know whats wrong so they want me to send the rift back and in turn i will be sent a refurbished one.

Prometheus98
Level 2
I am having a similar issue with the black screen, only started after there was a firmware update.

geepeester
Level 2

Also posted somewhere else but might as well join info here.

After all did a clean install and still only had a black screen in the rift, so by than was thoroughly annoyed as you might imagine.

Solution for me was however surprisingly simple, might help somebody else so will post anyway.

While using the AMD 390 card I had the HDMI port shared with either a monitor or the rift connected. To be able to do so and not have to dive behind my desk and computer each time I had an HDMI extension cable inserted into the video card port and with the end of the extension cable on the top of my desk.

So whenever switching between monitor and rift I had easy access to change the cables from the top of my desk. Worked like a charm while still using the AMD videocard never any issues.

As the 1080 has more output ports I no longer need to switch monitor and rift using the same port. But never realized but still had the rift attached via the HDMI cable extension connected to the nvidia HDMI port.

Removed the HDMI extension cable , directly connected the rift to the 1080 HDMI port and immediately vision popped up.

Disconnected the rift and checked if there somehow was an issue with the HDMI extension by attaching a monitor and that still worked fine. Replaced monitor for the rift vision went black again. So the used HDMI extension cable in combination with nvidia was what kept messing things up while it never was a problem with the AMD card.

Just to be complete the clean windows 10 install was including march 2018 updates and I used most recent nvidia drivers (398.something) .

Rift works like a charm again an by now very happy with the additional VR performance boost from the 1080.

PieHolio
Level 2
Hi. 
I just wanted to share my findings, in case someone else has my particular problem/setup (vega gpus in crossfire) . 

Only for crossfire/dualgpu users

Issue:
Black screen showing mouse on monitor, all black in rift. If I pulled the rift, the game would show on the monitor.

Note:
After updating windows to 1809 it worked once. But error was back the day after. 

Solution: 
My solution was to plug both the monitor and the rift into the lower gpu, the one furthest from the CPU. This is of course counter intuitive, as that is not the main GPU. 
So, in doing this I was no longer able to see POST, however, when I eventually got into windows, EVERYTHING WORKED !!

Hope this helps someone ! 

grogrig
Level 2
Hi
help 
two years successfully used oculus rift,
two weeks ago there was a problem with the black screen
I reinstalled the driver, restored the oculus, nothing helps - no image no sound

L33t_taco
Level 2
Here me logs... Display would flash the Oculus home for 1 second then go black...but now wont turn on at all....jsut a few static flashes here and there.