cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent crashes with my Oculus Rift S

GrvR78
Honored Guest
Hi

I have been experiencing very frustrating in-game crashes on my Rift S. Games like Vader Immortal, Discovering Space 2 and Superhot VR will crash randomly after a few minutes. The in-game picture freezes and then the Rift S goes black. The game on the PC is also showing as totally frozen. Its as if the headset cameras stop working. I have to unplug it and go from there to get it back working.

Games that work seamlessly with no crashes are Beat Sabre and Star Wars: Squadrons (in the case of Star Wars, that's via Steam).

My set up is...
Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6GHz
Team Group Vulcan Z T-Force 32GB
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive
MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC 8192MB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Microsoft Windows 10 Home Advanced

I have updated Windows and GPU drivers. I have followed instructions from a number of different sources, including completely reinstalling the Rift S. We are in a cool room and have plenty of space.

Any ideas? This is proving infuriating.

5 REPLIES 5

GrvR78
Honored Guest
I do have Bullguard running in the background.

GrvR78
Honored Guest
I have tried with Bullguard off and same issue

Jeerus
Protege
Are all those games played through Steam or also Oculus Store? Seems more people have crashes when playing through Oculus itself. Your setup seems more than capable of running everything on Ultra so I don't think the problem is performance wise.
|| Specs || Ryzen 5 1600 OC 4.1 GHz | NZXT Kraken X61 Liquid Cooler | NVIDIA Inno3D iChill GTX 1080 X3 | 16 GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte B450 AORUS | 1TB Samsung 970 Pro NVMe SSD | 500GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD | 4 TB WD Green HDD | ACER NITRO XV272UP || Peripherals ||  Razer Blackwidow Elite | Stormtrooper Edition | Razer Goliathus Speed | Stormtrooper Edition | Logitech G Pro Wireless | HyperX Cloud II | Tonor BM-700 Microphone | Yamaha NX B150 2.1 Speakers | 

GrvR78
Honored Guest
The games that crash are all via Oculus Store... the Steam ones run fine. The only one on Oculus Store that runs fine is Beat Sabre (but that crashes if I try to use any purchased tracks).

Any ideas what I can do except stop using Oculus Store?

DominatorVIP
Adventurer
If you have any of your PC components overclocked, I'd turn those back to base clock-speeds and try playing the games again. I've heard that overclocking your PC can lead to issues with the Rift-S in more ways then one

If you don't have your PC overclocked, then I would honestly contact Oculus Support. I know it's not ideal, but more often then not they know something that we don't, and can find a solution more quickly for you. And worst case scenario they don't have a solution, then hopefully they'll tip the Oculus Devs about it and they will push out a patch for it.