cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Rift to work on Surface Book

blakboks
Honored Guest
Hello,
I'd like to be able to do simple applications with the Rift on my Surface Book; just the sorts of things that can be done with a Gear or Google Daydream.  However, I'm having difficulty getting the Rift to work with it.  I'm hooking it up through the mini displayport output via a Sabrent 4K@60Hz adapter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQGPFFC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)  I keep getting the searching symbol with the HDMI in the Rift setup.  However, it's being recognized by Windows as a Rift.  I've set the Oculus software to run using the Discreet Graphics Processor as well.

If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it.  It'd be super disappointing to find out that I can't use the Rift for things that much less powerful systems (e.g. Gear, etc.) can.

Thanks in advance!
9 REPLIES 9

drefk2000
Explorer
Why did you buy it in the first place? Your Surface Book dosen't come close to the minimum specs AND it has been stated time after time that 'if computer=laptop; then 'No rift''
Intel Core i7 6850K 3,6 GHz 15MB @ 4,7GHz cooled by Noctua NH-U9S on MSI X99A Raider
Corsair Vengence LPX 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz @ 3200 MHz
2x  MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Aero OC in SLI (SLI disabled when in VR)
HyperX Predator 480GB M.2 and 4x Samsung 750-Series 250Gb in raid 0
Oculus Cv1. Win10 pro. Hotas Warthog. 3xLG 24" monitors

blakboks
Honored Guest
Both the Surface and the Rift were bought for separate reasons/applications.  I'm not able to use my desktop currently, so I was hoping to be able to use it on the Surface.  Also, it may come in handy for being able to use it on the go.  Again, I'm only looking to do things that even the Gear/Daydream can handle as well; and they're much less powerful.

drefk2000
Explorer
most likely you will not get it to work at all
Intel Core i7 6850K 3,6 GHz 15MB @ 4,7GHz cooled by Noctua NH-U9S on MSI X99A Raider
Corsair Vengence LPX 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz @ 3200 MHz
2x  MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Aero OC in SLI (SLI disabled when in VR)
HyperX Predator 480GB M.2 and 4x Samsung 750-Series 250Gb in raid 0
Oculus Cv1. Win10 pro. Hotas Warthog. 3xLG 24" monitors

YoLolo69
Trustee
I suggest first to run the Oculus compatibility tool as a first check to get an idea what could be a problem with your machine. Honestly I don't know it's specs so I can't say, the tool will give you a good idea.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

cybereality
Grand Champion
Rift traditionally didn't work with laptops at all, but recently there has been some support. However, you need one of the high end gaming laptops with desktop GPU processors, such as a GTX 1060 or above. Older/weaker mobile GPUs most likely won't work at all. Sorry.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

kojack
MVP
MVP
While the gear/daydream systems may have lower requirements, rift compatibility isn't just about the performance. Certain cpu and gpu features are currently required for it to work, as well as driver support from nvidia for direct mode. The surface book may not be compatible.

I did run a DK2 on my Surface Pro 2 (yes, on the intel gpu, no discrete in it) via the mini displayport. But that was years ago, the oculus sdk has changed a lot since then.

Some laptops do work fine. I'm still using a clevo laptop for CV1, works fine. But it was one of the rare ones.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

LucasRizzotto
Explorer
To people searching this in the future: the Surface Book laptops have a particular motherboard layout that the Oculus doesn't work with.

HouseHam
Honored Guest
Opening up a super old thread here, but @LucasRizzotto, do you know if this is also true of the Surface Book 2?

anthony_trieu_5
Honored Guest
Does Quest Link work with the Surface Book 3?