cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting White Flashes?

Rowan_
Honored Guest
So recently, I started getting rapid white flashes in my lenses. They occur regardless of apps and in oculus home, and vary in intensity and frequency. Sometimes they are absent for a short time, but when present they can be seen without having the headset on.
I've updated my graphics cards and there's no update available in oculus, does anyone know what's going wrong?
Any help is greatly appreciated. ❤️
20 REPLIES 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Overheat likely or wear & tear on cables. Specs?

LZoltowski
Champion
Please contact official support below so that they can help you with the issue
https://tickets.oculusvr.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

hekkeller
Honored Guest
I got a very similar issue that started randomly on June 4 - I put a ticket and didn't hear back yet after first round of unsuccessful troubleshooting. The flashes are made up of 'noise' or 'snow' if that makes sense. Sometimes it's like the whole screen for a second (especially when the game is loading something or processing graphics more). Sometimes it's random pixels and horizontal lines. I also noticed in Oculus app that my HMD is no longer registering as connected to a USB 3.0 slot, even though it is. NONE of my USB 3.0 slots work for the HMD, but they DO work with the sensors. Is this the same as what you are experiencing?

skain79
Honored Guest

hekkeller said:

The flashes are made up of 'noise' or 'snow' if that makes sense. Sometimes it's like the whole screen for a second (especially when the game is loading something or processing graphics more). Sometimes it's random pixels and horizontal lines. I also noticed in Oculus app that my HMD is no longer registering as connected to a USB 3.0 slot, even though it is. NONE of my USB 3.0 slots work for the HMD, but they DO work with the sensors. Is this the same as what you are experiencing?

I am also experiencing this issue exactly!!! (also started in June!!!)
after installing Oculus on my new computer (GTX1080TI) 4 days later the split second "orange snow flash" or half bottom screen distorted white noise flash started occurring, I also note it is not visible on my monitor only in the Rift itself.
There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it, it seems pretty random, regardless of graphics load or intensity, I tried another HDMI port, issue remains.

I also can confirm plugging my headset into a USB 3.0 port only shows up as USB 2.0 in Oculus home & puts the port in "link compliance mode",

I tested the Rift on my old rig(GTX 970) and it didn't produce the error, which leads me to think this may be a software/driver issue on my new rig, I did install MSI Afterburner around the same time the issue showed up, after uninstalling it it went away, but after a restart it was back and has been back ever since.
After testing more thoroughly and under load I confirmed that it was happening on my old rig too

I am going to do a complete re-install of windows/drivers/everything and see how that goes.
A complete reinstall of Windows / Oculus software & patch did not fix it

Has anyone had this resolved yet?

skain79
Honored Guest
I upgraded my power supply from a ThermalTake 650W SMART 80+ Bronze to Corsair HX850i thinking it might be a low amperage issue. 

Issue remains

I get the feeling this is a Oculus hardware issue, ticket opened

RodDawg117
Explorer
I have the same issue, brand new build, only the most basic rift s setup, no hubs, bells or whistles. It can happen literally anywhere, have seen it in the store app, library, and across several games including onward, superhot, and Arizona sunshine. I started recording the video output from oculus mirror and it does not appear there. I now have to figure out how to record through the lens while playing to get it to occur. Hard to do. But this happened right out of the box on a build that far surpasses minimum specs.

glenmac2001
Explorer
Do not waste your time with a windows reinstall I have already done this and it makes no difference still random static white flashes.

RodDawg117
Explorer

Do not waste your time with a windows reinstall I have already done this and it makes no difference still random static white flashes.

It’s definitely something specific to the HMD, I’ve captured it on webcam while simultaneously recording the oculus mirror window. The mirror showed clean video while the webcam clearly flashed.

DDM_Reaper20
Explorer
I have the same flashes. With 1.38, I might add. I suspect a firmware/Oculus driver issue, and I keep hoping they'll fix it. My Rift S was a gift, I don't want to return it. (Those flashes are pretty annoying and, sometimes, unsettling.)