cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting ready to put my 9mm to this POS

MiReal
Honored Guest
I won't show this system to my friends nor recommend it for purchase until this issue can be resolved permanently.  In fact, avoid it!  At least that's how I feel right now.  Really frustrated with what I've spent on this with the amount of time screwing with it trying to keep it running.

I played multiple games almost all day yesterday without issue, even my wife was using it.  Today I boot up and first the Rift doesn't work, can't detect the headset, check the cable, reboot about 5 times, now the headset is back, but the Touch controllers are locked in position and won't move.  Suddenly getting Sensor tracking errors throws me in to recalibrate the sensors, but get poor tracking, all of a sudden it's good, try to play something, boom, sensors drop out again.  What the F!

No changes to anything since yesterday, logs are showing alot of 'truncated camera frame' errors, and a few of these: '[DisplayManager] Failed to set power mode on NVidia adapter. -175'

So why?  What's going on?  Why no issues sometime then all of a sudden a hailstorm.  
18 REPLIES 18

jbarnes2
Explorer
Kevin Williams warned long ago about sensor issues and guardian bounds jumping around.  Causing people to punch their wall! Maybe break fingers.  Guys are punching their wives in superhot, breaking wifes jar or knocking out her teeth from these issues,  not good to have guardian bounds jumping like this.  Kevin posted this video to warn you. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CAtrkMGNp0o

Roaster
Rising Star
It sounds like USB problems to me. A little thing like windows downloading updates in the background and everything changes. Not sure how to fix it, but I put about $350us  into a motherboard with USB 3.1 and have never had any problems. Asus X99 Pro usb 3.1
Not that you have to do that, just that usb bandwidth is vital, and noise in the circuit can be a problem.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

MiReal
Honored Guest
I have thought about upgrading the motherboard & cpu, but not going to be a simple task as I went to extremes to watercooling everything on it.  No way would I get lucky that everything would just 'fit' and work.  I could put this mb, cpu & ram into my other older pc that's in need of upgrading I guess, but is the z77 vs x99 really going to make the difference and solve the problem?  It's the randomness of this issue that's driving me nuts, works great or it fails miserably.  Just not crazy about throwing alot more money at it with a risk of not solving it.

TC1999
Adventurer
MiReal when your say hmd disconnects which one are you getting as there is two types one says "we can't find your headset" this is a usb issue and another that says "your headset is not plugged in Make sure your hmdi is plugged in" this is when it can't find the headset via the hmdi. 

If if it's the second one then check the cable at the headerset end is fully plugged. If so and you still have the infamous hmdi not plugged in message then sit with the headset in your hands with ovulus home open and the notifications tab open and gently twist the headset or apply a little down pressure to the headset arm where the cable plugs in. Just to see if you can trigger the error. 

If if this happens then contact support as it may need treplacing. 

I had to have mine replaced for hmdi errors. 

MiReal
Honored Guest
In settings under devices it showed the headset as not found.  I believe it's mostly a USB issue as I did check the cable on both ends and it was fine.  I've actually had zero issues with the headset, only since I added the Touch Controllers/sensor.

So I don't know if just a coincidence or this is going to be a fix or just for a little while.  I plugged the headset usb into my 2.0 usb motherboard port and left the 2 sensors plugged into the Inatek 3.0 usb port/card and rebooted. I was able to get everything up and running as though everything was perfect.  Ran SuperHot, BulletTrain & Dead & Buried without issue like yesterday where only an hour ago nothing worked.  So we'll see how long this configuration works.

MiReal said:

I won't show this system to my friends nor recommend it for purchase until this issue can be resolved permanently.  In fact, avoid it!  At least that's how I feel right now.  Really frustrated with what I've spent on this with the amount of time screwing with it trying to keep it running.

I played multiple games almost all day yesterday without issue, even my wife was using it.  Today I boot up and first the Rift doesn't work, can't detect the headset, check the cable, reboot about 5 times, now the headset is back, but the Touch controllers are locked in position and won't move.  Suddenly getting Sensor tracking errors throws me in to recalibrate the sensors, but get poor tracking, all of a sudden it's good, try to play something, boom, sensors drop out again.  What the F!

No changes to anything since yesterday, logs are showing alot of 'truncated camera frame' errors, and a few of these: '[DisplayManager] Failed to set power mode on NVidia adapter. -175'

So why?  What's going on?  Why no issues sometime then all of a sudden a hailstorm.  

Thought you'd be ok just that once eh?

No Sir, not once, not ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

falken76
Expert Consultant

jbarnes2 said:

Kevin Williams warned long ago about sensor issues and guardian bounds jumping around.  Causing people to punch their wall! Maybe break fingers.  Guys are punching their wives in superhot, breaking wifes jar or knocking out her teeth from these issues,  not good to have guardian bounds jumping like this.  Kevin posted this video to warn you. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CAtrkMGNp0o

Ha, yeah right, where is one article that points to guys breaking their wives jaws and knocking out their teeth while playing Superhot VR?  That video is hilarious. lol.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Women !!!! Know your place !!!! 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

falken76
Expert Consultant

TC1999 said:

MiReal when your say hmd disconnects which one are you getting as there is two types one says "we can't find your headset" this is a usb issue and another that says "your headset is not plugged in Make sure your hmdi is plugged in" this is when it can't find the headset via the hmdi. 

If if it's the second one then check the cable at the headerset end is fully plugged. If so and you still have the infamous hmdi not plugged in message then sit with the headset in your hands with ovulus home open and the notifications tab open and gently twist the headset or apply a little down pressure to the headset arm where the cable plugs in. Just to see if you can trigger the error. 

If if this happens then contact support as it may need treplacing. 

I had to have mine replaced for hmdi errors. 

On Mine even the HDMI pop up is USB related.  Switched ports on USB when I was getting that error constantly to the point it was so annoying it was like someone was messing with you by plugging in and pulling out the USB over and over and over again to piss you off.  When I moved the cable from a front USB port to one on the back, the HDMI issue was completely gone and I didn't even touch the HDMI part of the cable.